Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

lookup rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lookup rule

I attach a scrren shot of the rule that has worked in previous versions but does not work correctly in v5.
    This is my 3rd post (Selwyn can you help?)
    Terry

RE: lookup rule

Terry,

We don't know what you mean by, "does not work correctly in v5". Do you mean, doesn't work at all, fills in wrong fields, only 1 field is filled in, doesn't display, etc.? Give us a clue.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Terry

Just to add to Ken's answer this looks like the lookup field rules from 4.5. Whether this make any difference I dont know.

Keith Hubert
      London.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

without the data to repeat the problem, there is little that i can do to suggest a solution.

Comment

This is the screen print from v4.5
          In v4.5 & before the lookup would fill from the selected record on the lookup browse.
          In v5 the lookup fills from the first record that matches policy_no irrespective of selection on browse - is this a bug.
          v5 appears to ignore the selection & concentrate on the linking field ?
          Thanks
          Terry

Comment

I may only be adding to the confusion by posting to this thread. However, I wonder if Terry�s problem is similar to one that I have not been able to resolve. I did not manage to articulate the problem clearly enough in a previous post to allow for an answer. Let me take another go at it.

I have defined a set in a database that has a parent table, a child table and a grandchild table. The relationship is one-to-many (parent-child) and one-to-one (child-grandchild). The structure is identical to the �invoice set� in the AlphaSports sample application (Invoice_Header � Invoice_Items � Product, although there is not a table that corresponds to �Vendor�).

Since I have exactly the same problem with the AlphaSports application it is probably easier using it as an example. The lookup field rule for the Invoice_Items ->Product_ID field uses the �product.dbf� table for the lookup, with the linking field �Product_ID�. The �Product_Description� field is set to display, but not fill. Thus far, this exactly mirrors the set and field rules for my database. However, the lookup field rule for the AlphaSports database is checked for �Display as a drop-down list box�, whereas I have left this unchecked for my database (since I want to be able to both add and edit records.)

If I uncheck the �display as a drop-down list� box for the lookup rule for the AlphaSports application, I am unable to consistently save the child records that have been selected from the pop-up lookup form. For example, if I select the first item in the list �ACE Baseball Glove Conditioner�that item will be saved. However, the next item I select (e.g. Day Tripper Day Pack) will initially display with the correct Product_ID number, but as soon as I attempt to save it, it will be saved as the Product_ID for ACE Baseball Glove Conditioner. On other occasions, no child record will be saved.

If I select the �display as drop down list� option in my own database, as well as AlphaSports, the selected values for the child records will be reliably saved. (Terry�s screen shot indicates that he, too, is not using the �display as a drop down list� option.)

As part of my troubleshooting for the problem I installed Alpha 5 on my laptop which runs under Windows 98 SE. The lookup-saves worked without any problem, either with my own database or with the AlphaSports database. I also installed Alpha 5 on my wife�s machine which, like mine, runs under XP Service Pack 1 (although the problem pre-dated Service Pack 1). Same problem. (Unlike my desktop, my wife�s machine does not have Alpha 5 4.5 installed.). Also, as part of my troubleshooting, I uninstalled Version 4. and Version 5, re-installing only Version 5, and updating with the most current patch. That did not solve the problem. (I used Drive Image before making the changes in order to return to the previous installation.)

I continue to use Version 4.5 in order to enter data. The problem with my own database, as well as the AlphaSports database, does not occur with Version 4.5.
            Sending my database for analysis is not going to help much, under the circumstances, since a) the problem does not occur on my laptop with Version 5, and b) the AlphaSports database will not properly function on my desktop (with the minor change in the lookup rule).
            My XP installation seems stable in all other respects but something must be interfering with the proper functioning of Version 5.

Sorry for the lengthy post but, like Terry, I need some more options to try.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X