Alpha Video Training

Thread: Audit Trail

Nicholas Lawson

Default Audit Trail

We are converting our package to version 5 and it is going remarkably well. One of the features we have in the current version is a user audit trail. This works ok, but it requires a great deal of code and slows the application down slightly. I was very excited to see a very simple solution in v5; unfortunatly I cannot make it work. I put Addin.run("audit_trail") in the CanSaveRecord event on our daily sales form. I than changed a record to see the result. I found a text file in the root directory called System_Tracking.txt, but It was empty.

Can anyone help?

Nick

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default RE: Audit Trail

You should have a file called [tablename]-audit_trail.txt in your data directory that shows the changes.

Bill.

Nicholas Lawson

Thanks Bill

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Bill,

I just added Addin.run("audit_trail") to one of my table, to check it out. Works great - except for one thing. In the resultant .txt file, the same action shows four times! See the attachment.

Any ideas?

Dave

Real Name
    John Hertzler

Interesting ...the time stamps differ. I wonder if mode of data entry effects this?

By the way the other piece of this new feature is tracking delected records.

From What's New
    Also, if you want to keep track of deleted records, put Addin.run("audit_trail_deleteRecord") in the record's
    CanDeleteRecord event.

I have been going nuts in trying to find the CanDelete Record event. I'm sure its right in front of me but I can't find it. Help would be appreciated on where to look for this critter.

Finally, the only place that I can find anything on this topic is in What's New. Interesting that it is not documented anywhere else. It would be great if some sort of master index of all books could be put together. Some times one just knows they seen something on a topic but finding it is another story.

Real Name
    Pete Jones

Nick

There is a very good solution for audit trails in Dr wayne's book "Application programming in Alpha5 V5"

The example in the book "chapter 25" sends all info on changes and new entries to an audit table, making it vey easy to look back at information on particular records using reports or query's.

BR

Pete