Alpha Video Training

Thread: Zipcode & distance

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

Default Zipcode & distance

If anyone is interested, for a small fee (TBD) I have developed (for my own use) USA zipcode tables with latitude and longitude info, along with the routine to calculate the distance between any two zipcodes. It uses the center of the zipcode zone as the calculation point. If there is any interest I can make it into a "product". I am also open for suggestions.

Rick Smith

Edward F. Schulz

Default RE: Zipcode & distance

Hi Richard,

I have a definite use for ZC to ZC distance table. Drop me an email and we will discuss the value.
    efs

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Louis Nickerson

Any chance of a sneak peak?

Louis

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

email sent to both Louis and Edward, with exported zipcode table and explaination of how calculation works. In the application, you sent it two zipcodes and it returns a distance.

Rick Smith

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Charlie Crimmel

Richard:
    I would like to see also.

I might have a need for this in a upcoming application
    charlie crimmel

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

email on the way.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Louis Nickerson

Richard,

Thanks for the look.

I would be interested in purchasing your app and data.

How will you handle updates and changes to the zip codes?

Louis

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

I figure that people are basically honest and firmly believe that "what goes 'round comes 'round". I also believe in an open source concept in that when you buy something, you buy it all. As a result, I intend to give the source code, so there is no need for my "updates" or modifications. Additional zip code latitude and longitude info (as the Post Office periodically adds, or if I missed one or two) can easily be gained from either the US Postal Service or the US Census Bureau. The basic great circle distance calculations never change- you're calculating the distance of an arc between two surface points or a circle, where the radius is the Earth's radius.

Brad Burton

The product sounds great and there is a definite need for just such a tool. I have some experience working with geographic data. One of the difficulties in maintaining such a product is keeping current with USPS changes. The Postal Service actually makes about 20 to 30 changes each month. The updates are not as easy to obtain as they should be. I have spent many hours tracking down and updating changes. Many of these changes are related to the 'splitting' of zones to account for changes in population density in suburban areas of large cities. If a product is being marketed to a business who wants to calculate distances to Zip codes of customers, one or both could likely be in one of these zones. This makes updating crucial.

Another interesting thing I encountered was the 'Gerrymandering' of zones, which are in irregular shapes. Since the 'centoid' is identified by the midpoint of the furthers points of lat. and long., it is possible that the centoid of a zone is actually in another zone! Think of a zone the shape of the letter 'L' That doesn't make a bit of difference to the vast majority of applications, but it can cause some problems when the reported distance between two contiguous zones is

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

I was only thinking in the range of $30. For that type of price, I can't afford much update service.

Tony Watts

Richard
    I would also probably be interested
    Tony

Edward F. Schulz

Hi Richard,

If you recall, I agreed to purchase the entire package including the great circle
    equasion and xbasic coding. You notified me to purchase it through "paypal" and I replied with "what should I do next to comply". I havn't heard from you since, I hope you are not ill, but I am still interested in the purchase.
    efs

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

Sorry. I got sick and then forgot about it. PayPal is free to you. You can simply charge or electronically transfer the money at www.Payal.com. My PayPal account is the same as my email. smith.richard.d@worldnet.att.net
    I apologize for the delay.

L. Lautenbach

Would be interested

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

I like the idea of advertising 3rd party apps, excess software or even computer equipment. I know Alpha created a link from their web site to a listing of available services and/or 3rd party applications. However, what's needed is sort of an eletronic 'flea market' rather than a formal setting.

Perhaps Alpha would consider adding a new message board to the forum for the items that would be of interest but don't belong on the current message boards???

Just a thought.

kenn

Real Name
    David Elder

Do you still have the app?

Many of us have USPS subscription based Zip data that gets updated monthly but your app would help a lot on plotting etc.

Real Name
    Richard D. Smith

I've been giving it to anyone who wants it because of all the help I receive from everyone. I'm out of town at the moment on a job site and will not be back in Fort Worth (home) until the end of the week. Send me an email Friday and I'll send you the code and table attached in the reply. The email address is smith.richard.d@worldnet.att.net

Rick Smith

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Peter Wayne

I've posted a zip code database and great circle code at
    http://www.learnalpha.com/GreatCircle/GreatCircle.htm