Alpha Video Training

Thread: Record List Object: list box problem

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Default Record List Object: list box problem

I have a problem with a record list object: file list box in a form I have created in A5v5 build 1322-1017. The problem means that I cannot scroll or select items in the list box using any keyboard or mouse action. The problem is easily demonstrated using a simple table I have created.
    The table has two fields: a date_scheduled date field and a number_of_events number field. The table has a single index by date_scheduled. The table has 28 records which just happen to be in ascending date sequence, the same as the index.
    I have created a simple form in which I have a heading and an imbedded record list: list box object. When I save and run this form I get a window that demonstrates all the problems I describe in my opening paragraph.
    The attached file shows the form window to which I refer. The first thing to note is the strange sequence in which the dates are displayed. My Windows default date setting is DD-MM-YYYY, for example 25 May 2002 is 25-05-2002. This may be a clue to the problem.
    Anyway, that is where I am stuck at the moment. My otherwise impressive client database ddevelopment has been brought to a halt because a key date selection process does not allow me to make a date selection.
    A solution would be gratefully received.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Default RE: Record List Object: list box problem

Brett:

Can you explain how you populate this box. Have you manually entered the items in the control's properties or do you populate the list dynamically using code which runs when the form is loaded?

If the latter can you show us the code or better still post the database here.

Bill

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Bill,
    Thanks for your interest.
    The list is populated from a database table that has been previously created (not dynamically) using the Summarize function in XDialog.
    The table is called "Event round dates". I have attached a copy of the table (everything from my application folder named "event round dates.*") and is in ZIP format. I cannot find in my application folder the form I created that demonstrates the problem. Hopefully it is included in the attached file.
    Let me know if you need anything more.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Brett,

I think the problem may be corruption in the table's dictionary files.

I saw the problem with your form and list box. I was unable to edit it to eliminate the problem. However I was able to create a new form of the same design which worked properly. I edited your form, deleted the list box object, saved the form to a new name, redefined the list box, and it worked fine. I then tried to delete the original form--your form. Couldn't do it. Got a read past end of file error.

Start over. New table, new everything. I bet it will be ok. Scan your system. It is probably not a virus. I scanned your files and they were ok but I would scan your system on general principles just to be sure.

Bill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Whoops, perhaps there is something else. Read the thread on "problem with embedded browse". There is a read past end of file error in one of the builds. What build are you running?

Hope this is it as all you would have to do is download the latest patch. I have (1322-1017) which may perhaps explain our different experiences.

Bill

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Thanks, Bill. I'll try both your suggestions and let you know the outcome. I am running the latest A5v5, 1322-1017. Also, it won't be a virus (sorry, I'll double check anyway). I have the latest NAV updates, a firewall that filters out and changes all threatening email attachments and 2 levels of spam protection. The first level allows me to preview all incoming email on the server. I delete anything suspicious before it is downloaded.
    As I say, I'll let you know how I get on.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

this is clearly a bug.

if the record list list box control is placed on an xdialog box, (i used the xdialog genie in action scripting), then it works fine.

however, when you place a record list list box on a form, then the list box will not accept focus.

we will fix this. sorry.

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Phew. Thanks, Selwyn. That's what I wanted to know. It's A5v5 and not me that's the problem. It's a fine sunny day outside at the moment. Inside where I am working there are dark thunder clouds. 8-)
    I look forward to the fix. In the meantime I have given up using drop down boxes that list table contents. I will use other methods in the meantime.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Brett,

Well, that proves I must have done something different because I created a box which received focus and it had all your dates in it. Perhaps I had a different control type or something.

Sorry for the miscue.

Bill

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

the record list control on your form has its read-only property turned on.

if you turn it off, then you can click on it.