Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Specify printer in report on network Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specify printer in report on network Error

Working on win 2000 in a Novell network. This problem existed in 4.5 and now also in V 5
    My pc has a full version of A5 where I specify a printer in a report. The report simply prints a check. The printer is a shared printer attached to a pc where the user has A5 run time. When I get the box to select the printer Alpha see it as: \\Jen\Epson FX 880 on Ne04:
    I have no idea where the Ne04: is coming from. My printer definition is simply
    \\Jen\Epson FX 880. Problem is other users have the same \\Jen\Epson FX 880 printer on their work station and Jen has the printer attached locally.
    The problem does not exist as long as I give the option to " Show printer setup on print" However doing that will require user intervention to select the printer each time if we are doing a batch check printing process.
    Bottom line of problem is how do I specify a printer that is shared by multiple users and also attached as a local printer for another user ?

RE: Specify printer in report on network Error

a5 stores the printer name and the port in the report definition.

i think we can fix this, but before we start coding wildly, i would like to confirm that our theory is correct.

it is possible that on each machine the network printer is using a different name for the port.

if you go to the interactive window on one machine and you type: ?ui_printer_get(), you will get a list of the printers that a5 sees.

as you see, on my machine, a5 has listed the printer name and the port name.

?ui_printers_get()
    = Acrobat Distiller (for Alpha 5) on Ne00:
    \\CAROL\MFC-9600 LOCAL on Ne01:
    \\THUNDER\Compaq Laser Printer LNM40 (PCL) on Ne02:

now go to another machine and do the same thing.

what is the printer name showing as on this machine?

if it is not identical, then a5 will not print to that printer because as far as a5 is concerned the printer name is not the same.

if this is indeed the case, then we can make a5 less picky about rejecting the printer name.

can you please let me know what the printer names show up as on the machine that works, and on the machine that fails.

NOte:
    you can code a solution to this problem yourself in xbasic using the new "printer override" features offered in V5.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply !

on my pc which does work printer is \\JEN\Epson FX-880 on Ne04:
      on pc that that does not work printer is \\JEN\Epson FX-880 on Ne02:

the pc to which the printer is attached only has a run time version so I can not get to interactive window

Comment

true. but you could create a sript that does

printers = ui_get_printers()
        ui_msg_box("printers",printers)

and have the runtime user execute this script.
        (but i think that the data you have sent me confirms our theory anyway)

thanks.

Comment

This is a old thread, but...

Was there ever a solution to this problem? I am having similar trouble. I have noticed that different versions of Windows report the printer name different.

I am trying to specify a label to print a thermal label printer. A5 sees the name different than the name that shows in the Printer's folder. On all versions of Windows, even if you use the same printer name (i.e.:Zebra LP2844), A5 looks at the actual port information.

On WinME the name of the printer shows as "Zebra LP2844 on \\SERVERNAME\Zebra". On WinXP the printer name shows as "Zebra LP2844 on Ne04:". With XP, it can be more complicated because different computers running XP can have different names for the same printer depending on the order that they used a network resource. So, the name can change to "Zebra LP2844 on Ne13:" on different computers running XP.

Is there a way for A5 to see only the literal name that was given in the printers folder?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
          Mike

Comment

We ran into this problem, and thanks to Steve Andrews, we got around it. There is a port definition issue with Win2K AND WinXP. Steve write a dll to retrieve the port definition for each printer known to a PC. It really does the trick.

Selwyn,

Steve will be at te conference. You can ask him about it.

I have atached the dll. (This is NOT some sort of virus or worm)

Tom

Comment

Now I'll attach the dll.

Fingers are just too fast.

Comment

Tom:

Thanks for the reply. Can you guide me a little on the usage of this dll? Still new to A5.

Thanks
                Mike

Comment

We encountered this problem in excel, actually, but the problem exists no matter what application you are using. We export a data stream from Alpha5 to excel, which prints a folder request in the file room. We used excel because the older version of Alpha didn't handle bar codes too well.

Per Steve Andrews:

"The process merely involved typing the following into a command prompt:

regsvr32 \\Whopper\public\system\DLLs\PortFind.dll

It would return a message that the registration succeeded. After doing this on the two systems mentioned above, printing worked fine."

You will need to place the dll into a folder someplace, then change the path in the above command to wherever you placed the dll.

Comment

To one and all: It might be more than you need but you might want to check out my fairly recnt article on Learnalpha.com. The system there eliminates virtually all network printing issues. All the functions and scripts needed are in the available download.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Raymond:

Thanks! This is a lot to digest, but at first try it did solve my problem. I will now see if I can incorporate your ideas into my needs.

BTW: You did a great job documenting your work!

Thanks again!
                      Mike

Comment

Mike,

As Tom pointed out, we actually use this DLL from an Excel spreadsheet which is called from Alpha5. In order to fully see how to use it, a few more details are needed.

The DLL contains a class titled "PortClass". That class contaiins a function titled "FindPort". The syntax of that function is:
                        Fullname = FINDPORT(Printername)
                        where
                        Printername is the name of the printer with no specified port (e.g. "Fileroom3") and
                        Fullname is the name of the printer complete with the port (e.g. "Fileroom3 on EN03").

I have not attempted to utilize this DLL from XBasic but I suppose it may could be done. The OBJ() function may could be used to create the object. Whatever, I've attached some Visual Basic code to further illustrate its usage.

After seeing at the great conference how easily any ActiveX or OLE component can be accessed under V6, I'm quiet sure that V6 will make such a DLL reference trivial.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X