Alpha Video Training

Thread: How many users for Alpha Five V5

larry elfenbein

Default How many users for Alpha Five V5

I am thinking of using Alpha Five Version for developing transportation programs (since it has a runtime). I presently use SmartWare that holds up extremely well with 50 users constantly entering editing and querying the db.

I also use Access that works well with 10 users. How well does performance hold up with "X" number of users?

Would greatly appreciate any information on this.

Regards,

Lar

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Default RE: How many users for Alpha Five V5

Hello Larry,

A couple of months ago I did an interview, in the Alpha Software Newsletter, of a heavily used 300 node network running Alpha Five version 1. You can look it up in the archives at www.imakenews.com/alphasoftware

To address your question directly, if the app is properly designed, there should be no problem. If the app is not well designed, 1 node may be too much. Alpha Five is a file server system at present.

Also, Alpha is developing an ADO enabled version of Alpha Five, giving Alpha Five client/server capability (via an ADO compliant backend server). Also, if you want to develop a thin client application via internet or intranet, the web server version of Alpha Five is expected in the not to distant future.

Good luck,

Jim

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Larry,

I have no alpha-specific issues with about 30 simultaneous users. The only problem you may have to confront is overall network capacity. If the network is busy, things slow down. So if you make a nice application and the network attracts more users you need more network.

But I suppose this is obvious.

Bill

larry elfenbein

Thanks for the info Jim,

I asked Alphasoftware if A5 supports many to many relationships and the reply was "no". Either the person doesn't know what they are talking about or their is some other problem. I presume you can make bridge tables in A5 and do a many-to-many.

I think they should put out a demo disk, say 100 recs... Working with two other databases and fairly fluent in them. One however is a legacy and the other is Access which, at times, presents stumbling blocks but does have incredible functionality.

Lar

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Larry,

The Code Archive forum on this message board, and the Articles at www.learnalpha.com are great resources. The Alpha Newsletter is, too. Thought I'd mention them in case you (or others) were looking for more examples.

-- tom

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

You can certainly use a linking table in Alpha Five to create a many-to-many relationship. A linking table, or bridge table as you called it, just uses two one-to-many relationships the connect the other tables. The person you spoke to (on the phone?) may have not been as familiar with advanced database design as you and may not be aware of this design concept. But since Alpha Five supports one-to-one and one-to-many as they most likely told you, you can do many-to-many the way you expect.

-Lenny

Thomas Henkel

Larry,
    Provided you have a clean, well designed network, you should not see any real problems with network traffic. If you have questions related to the network setup, I would suggest you contact a certified network consultant to have them review your network setup. It is not ceap, but it will certainly save you hours (maybe days) of frustration trying to diagnose a network problem. We are the 300 usr network. we use an NT4.x server and have '95, '98, and win2k machines spread about the building. We use hubs as well as switches as network hardware. The only real slowdowns are when someone is running an intense report at the wrong time.

Good Luck,

Tom

larry elfenbein

Thanks Tom,

Handle my own network stuff and it clicks. Only slows down on massive "replace" queries. What I need is something like a Foxpro, not necessarily SQL server, but close.

LAr

larry elfenbein

Thanks Lenny,

Appreciate it. I figured that. Wish they had a demo with say 100 rec limit like Paradox used to have... Something a developer can work with to see if the learning curve is worth it.

Lar

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

If you buy it you have 30 days to decide if you want to keep it. If not you can get your money back. You'll probably keep it though. (although I agree that a record limited version that could be posted on file download sites would sure be good for sales, maybe when all the bugs are worked out)

Russ

larry elfenbein

Tom,

Spoke with Richard Rabins today. Mentioned that I should contact you.

How intensive is your app. Example:

How many tables? How many forms queries. Are the users entering, updating and querying all at once? How many forms are utilized and are the "field intensive"?

I'm concerned that the engine won't hold up for my needs. If I were to convert my present app, I would indeed got to SQL server. The jet engine just wouldn't hold up.

We do our own network stuff using SmartWare and it hold up nicely.

Any info is appreciated.

Best regards,

Lar