Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How many users for Alpha Five V5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many users for Alpha Five V5

I am thinking of using Alpha Five Version for developing transportation programs (since it has a runtime). I presently use SmartWare that holds up extremely well with 50 users constantly entering editing and querying the db.

I also use Access that works well with 10 users. How well does performance hold up with "X" number of users?

Would greatly appreciate any information on this.

Regards,

Lar

RE: How many users for Alpha Five V5

Hello Larry,

A couple of months ago I did an interview, in the Alpha Software Newsletter, of a heavily used 300 node network running Alpha Five version 1. You can look it up in the archives at www.imakenews.com/alphasoftware

To address your question directly, if the app is properly designed, there should be no problem. If the app is not well designed, 1 node may be too much. Alpha Five is a file server system at present.

Also, Alpha is developing an ADO enabled version of Alpha Five, giving Alpha Five client/server capability (via an ADO compliant backend server). Also, if you want to develop a thin client application via internet or intranet, the web server version of Alpha Five is expected in the not to distant future.

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

Larry,

I have no alpha-specific issues with about 30 simultaneous users. The only problem you may have to confront is overall network capacity. If the network is busy, things slow down. So if you make a nice application and the network attracts more users you need more network.

But I suppose this is obvious.

Bill
      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Thanks for the info Jim,

I asked Alphasoftware if A5 supports many to many relationships and the reply was "no". Either the person doesn't know what they are talking about or their is some other problem. I presume you can make bridge tables in A5 and do a many-to-many.

I think they should put out a demo disk, say 100 recs... Working with two other databases and fairly fluent in them. One however is a legacy and the other is Access which, at times, presents stumbling blocks but does have incredible functionality.

Lar

Comment

Larry,

The Code Archive forum on this message board, and the Articles at www.learn alpha.com are great resources. The Alpha Newsletter is, too. Thought I'd mention them in case you (or others) were looking for more examples.

-- tom

Comment

You can certainly use a linking table in Alpha Five to create a many-to-many relationship. A linking table, or bridge table as you called it, just uses two one-to-many relationships the connect the other tables. The person you spoke to (on the phone?) may have not been as familiar with advanced database design as you and may not be aware of this design concept. But since Alpha Five supports one-to-one and one-to-many as they most likely told you, you can do many-to-many the way you expect.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Larry,
              Provided you have a clean, well designed network, you should not see any real problems with network traffic. If you have questions related to the network setup, I would suggest you contact a certified network consultant to have them review your network setup. It is not ceap, but it will certainly save you hours (maybe days) of frustration trying to diagnose a network problem. We are the 300 usr network. we use an NT4.x server and have '95, '98, and win2k machines spread about the building. We use hubs as well as switches as network hardware. The only real slowdowns are when someone is running an intense report at the wrong time.

Good Luck,

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Handle my own network stuff and it clicks. Only slows down on massive "replace" queries. What I need is something like a Foxpro, not necessarily SQL server, but close.

LAr

Comment

Thanks Lenny,

Appreciate it. I figured that. Wish they had a demo with say 100 rec limit like Paradox used to have... Something a developer can work with to see if the learning curve is worth it.

Lar

Comment

If you buy it you have 30 days to decide if you want to keep it. If not you can get your money back. You'll probably keep it though. (although I agree that a record limited version that could be posted on file download sites would sure be good for sales, maybe when all the bugs are worked out)

Russ

Comment

Tom,

Spoke with Richard Rabins today. Mentioned that I should contact you.

How intensive is your app. Example:

How many tables? How many forms queries. Are the users entering, updating and querying all at once? How many forms are utilized and are the "field intensive"?

I'm concerned that the engine won't hold up for my needs. If I were to convert my present app, I would indeed got to SQL server. The jet engine just wouldn't hold up.

We do our own network stuff using SmartWare and it hold up nicely.

Any info is appreciated.

Best regards,

Lar

Comment

Working...
                      X