Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Trace Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trace Window

After closing the Field Rules window I received the following message: "There are 2 warnings. Please view the trace window for details."

I haven't had occasion in the past to use the trace window, so I sought information from the online help system. Unfortunately, that system (as far as I can see) doesn't allow the user to enter a key word or two and search an index. My next step was to go back to my V4 User's Guide, which does not document the trace window in it's index. I did find reference to the trace window in the glossary, but that only supplies a definition.

Since it is a window (something that you view) I checked the View menu, where I finally found it.

My point here is twofold:

1. The trace window needs to be better documented.

2. The online help in Alpha Five is limited, since it apparently does not allow the user to search for specific terms. It provides a user guide with contents, but when you are trying to search for a specific item, broad categories, like those found in the online help system, are of limited value. If I am wrong here, I would welcome input that would enable me to better utilize the online help system.

RE: Trace Window

Bernard,

1. Amen

2. They are obviously still working on the A5V5 docs. The team well knows that this was has been a weak point since Alpha4 which had great docs.

Personally, I think that proper indexing of the documentation we already have would go a long way. Unfortunately mechanized indexing is useless and proper indexing is labor intensive. I note that many experienced users have hand indexed their personal copies of the documentation. Steve Workings' is a christmas tree of colored tabs!

To revert to the trace window, it can be tremendously useful but I don't remember reading much on getting the most out of the feature. I am sure the clever people on the board have invented uses others would like to know about. I know I would.

Here is my contribution which is completely unoriginal and obvious.

When developing a script I keep writing myself a message to the trace window to make sure the script is getting where I want it to.

The command is very simple:
    trace.writeln("your message here")

If I want to assure myself that a variable is filling properly I write
    trace.writeln(myvariable)

I keep cutting and pasteing the message to the end, or almost the end, of the lengthening script, changing the message and/or variable as I go. It works a bit like a personalized debugger but faster. I keep the trace window open but minimized so I can see the result with a single keystroke.

I would love to see what uses others have come up with.

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I have a suggestion. If the documentation .pdf's were kept online and kept updated so that as each patch were added the docs were updated we could download the latest and greatest. THEN there should be some method for us the users to add entries to an online index that refers to the pdf by section, subsection, item for instance. We can do the work for Alpha. I find that many times what I am looking for is there but not in the index. Once I find it I put in a sticky or put stuff in the code library. If we could put a reference in an online index we all could benefit from the experience and searching of others. This was the idea behind the FAQ when that was brought up. The better the availability of the documentation the more copies of A5 will be sold so there is certainly an incentive for Alpha to do something here.

That said, there is a new user manual coming soon, which I think (hope) will be very good, plus the message board itself, as mentioned by Lenny, is going to be redone in A5 so hopefully he can do some of this stuff. The problem I know is limited staff. I think what they have done so far with the people available has been great and am sure it will continue because Alpha is one of the few software companies where the owners listen (and care) what the customers needs are.

Russ

Comment

Thanks Bill and Russ,

Your thoughts and suggestions were helpful and appreciated.

Bernie

Comment

If you open the .pdf version of the manual, Acrobat Reader has a dandy find routine that will make short work of locating information. No substitute for a proper index, but extremely useful.

Comment

In regards to the manual, like everyone else I'd really like to have it. However, given the choice of a quickly but poorly created manual or an effective well documented manual, I'll go for the latter. And, if that means I have to wait longer for it, then so be it especially since I have the use of the Bulletin Board!

I've used this BB many times as I've worked on my new V5 application and it has NEVER failed me! Yes, I'm independent and would rather look it up in a manual but not at the price of a poorly created manual!

Thank you to all of you on the BB who have been such a tremendous help to me!!!

Comment

No question about that. Go that route all the time.

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Russ, I like the idea of letting the users build (or supplement) a useful index. Sounds like a database app to me, wonder if we could find an easy to use database tool to keep up with changes to the index?

-- tom

Comment

I just downloaded Alpha 5 day before yesterday (so please excuse my ignorance) but I've been able to search on the Online Help. Go to Help/Contents then to View/Search. The search mechanism should come up first, but unfortunately you have to dig for it.

Comment

To what ignorance do you refer, Dianne?

So far you're batting 1000.

I had to dig per your instructions but I found it. I, for one, have overlooked this. So thanks and welcome to the message board.

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Fabulous! I'm sure I'll be using all of your collective knowledge quite a bit in the near future, so I'm glad this helped.

--Dianne

Comment

Dianne,

With respect to Bill's comments, Ditto!!! However, and it has nothing to do with you, their is still no mention of the trace window in the documentation.

Also, in addition to View/Search you can also go to View/Index. Seems similar.

Anyway, thanks a lot, because I'm sure this information will definitely come in handy in the future.

As for ignorance, I plead GUILTY.

Bernie

Comment

Working...
                        X