Alpha Video Training

Thread: linux

Real Name
    John White

Default linux

I have given up on Bill Gates and am switching to linux. I have lots of files in Alpha 5 ver 4.5. I would like to buy the new version 5 and use it on my linux system. Has anyone done this successfully?

John

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Default RE: linux

Hello John,

I believe the only way this would work is to use wine, or one of the windows software emulators. I've not tried this but would like to.

Jim

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

You could also try using an OS called Lindows.

Real Name
    Rodney Efird

Arron,

Have you tried Lindows?

George Pelkofer

Hi John:

Currently, there are several ways to run windows apps under linux:

1. Win4Lin 4.0 from a company called NeTraverse.

This program will allow you to run Win 95/98/ME with up to 128M of ram dedicated to the Windoze session. Win4Lin creates a virtual DOS environment for Windoze to run in. The downside is that you must have, and install, a licensed copy of Windows along with the Win4Lin product.

See www.netraverse.com for more info.

2. VMWare

This product creates an entire virtual machine, complete with BIOS, under linux - you can watch the BIOS boot in a window. You then install the OS that you wish (i.e., Win 95/98/NT/2000) into the virtual machine. The downside, as above, is that you must have, and install, a licensed copy of Windoze. Also, the VMWare product is fairly expensive - somwhere in the neighborhood of $300 or so. It is useful for software developers who develop for multiple platforms - all testing and development can be done on one (physical) machine.

See www.vmware.com for more.

3. Wine

As someone else suggested, the Wine project is coming (slowly) along. It is a massive open-source undertaking, translating all of the Windows API calls into corresponding X Window calls. The plus side is that you do not require a copy of Windoze in order to run your Win apps. The downside is that the project is nowhere near complete, and *many* programs either do not run, or, if they do run, crash *alot*.

A company called Code Weavers has released a commercial (not open source) product called Cross Over Office, that will allow you to run MS Office (97 or 2000 only), Visio, Quicken, and possibly some other Windoze apps successfully. The plus side is that you do not require a copy of Windoze. The downside is that Cross Over is only capable of running a few apps (even though it is a *huge* achievement).

Also, Microsoft has slipped language into their licensing agreement(s) that essentially state that you can only run MS software on genuine MS operating systems. This essentially rules out running newer MS apps (i.e., Office XP) under Wine/Cross Over.

See www.winehq.org and www.codeweavers.com for more.

Hope this helps,

George

Real Name
    John White

Thank you George. It was very helpful.

John

George Pelkofer

John:

I neglected to comment on the Lindows OS, which was also mentioned.

Currently, Lindows is only certified to run three, count 'em, three applications: MS Office 2000 versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

The Lindows concept seems fairly sound, but I don't think that they are where they want to be in terms of Windows application compatibility. Also, I believe that the giant in Redmond is suing the company over the name 'Lindows', since it is so close to the word 'Windows'. Go Figure.

I've been wanting to try the Cross Over product. I suspect that it may be capable of running many Windows apps (i.e., Alpha 5), even though CodeWeavers is only *officially* supporting a small number of apps.

If I find anything out through my informal testing, I'll let you know!

Also, if you are switching to linux, you'll want to get a copy of Open Office - it really is slick, and it's a good native linux replacement for MS Office. (They have a Windows version too, if you want to try it before you switch your OS.) If you feel more comfortable with a commercial (i.e., supported) product, check out Sun's StarOffice, which is based on the Open Office program.

Further, the "Ximian Desktop" product, and "Evolution" in particular, is a nice replacement for MS Outlook. I believe that Ximian is selling StarOffice as an add-on to their desktop product. Also, StarOffice can be had cheaply from SuSE (25 bucks, I think) if you plan to run SuSE 8 linux. Many other vendors are also selling / bundling StarOffice with their distributions - just watch the version numbers. The current version is 6; some vendors, such as Red Hat, are still shipping the 5.2 version.

See www.openoffice.org, wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0/index.html, www.suse.com and ximian.com for more info.

Have fun,

George

Ford Ransone

Looks like for the time being our office is holding off on Alpha Five because we are considering moving all our desktops over to Linux. We already us Open Office - was an easy switch from MS Office. We may buy a copy of StarOffice to compare. Anyway, it looks like I'll be sticking with v4.5 for awhile.

In my email to Alphasoftware I mentioned that I sure wish they would consider porting over to Linux. I see I'm not the only one.

Borland's success with Kylix, as well as others, shows there is both room for and a market for commercial software in the Linux arena.

There is a lot of talk on many of the linux sites for an 'MS Access' type database solution. There are rumors that Filemaker Pro may be ported over to Linux, since it's now running on a version of unix - Mac OSX. But Alpha Five, especially v5, beats both of them. If Alpha Five was ported over to Linux, they would own that part of the Linux market. I know it's easy for people like me to say and a whole lot of work for programmers to do, but this business opportunity is just sitting there for the taking. Somebody is going to jump into it - I just wish it could be Alpha Five.

Ford

John Pintado

Pardon me for asking about this small point which is not really related to Alpha Five. You said:

"Also, Microsoft has slipped language into their licensing agreement(s) that essentially state that you can only run MS software on genuine MS operating systems. This essentially rules out running newer MS apps (i.e., Office XP) under Wine/Cross Over. "

I just upgraded to Office XP and your comment induced me to get out and read my license. I don't find any such license restriction in my End User License Agreement. Where would I find this language?

Jamin Dunivan

VMWARE is your best bet. I have heard nothing but good things about it from those who have tried it. I think it is about $80-$90.

WIN4LIN I've heard a lot of good about but not as much as VMWARE.

You may want to check their website and see if they have a trial version so you can test A5 on it.

My comment on Lindows. It is a complete piece of hyped up marketing crap!!!! Dont ever switch to it. They are just trying to make money quickly by peoples current resentment of Microsoft. Even the stuff it is supposed to run is shakey.

Lycoris is about the most polished distribution I have seem. But it is still in beta. It will cost around $30. They did a real nice job on it.

The new Red Hat Beta is supposed to be pretty nice but I havent tried it.

Hope this helps.
    Jamin

Jamin Dunivan

OOOOOPS I guess VMWARE is a bit pricey. Win4Lin is under $100.
    Runs on Mandrake which has a decent all around desktop.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Not sure exactly how it will work at present, but the web version of A5 will allow access through any browser, I assume this means a browser on Linux as well as Win. Perhaps (big perhaps) the program can be run in Samba thereby eliminating windows altogether. Samba will work as a file server, not sure about whether is can run any kind of executable, probably not at this time.

Russ

Ford Ransone

RE other's success as commercial software in the Linux market:

The following are comments by Doc Searls in an article in Linux Journal:

"Ted Shelton of Borland told me that Kylix, the company's Integrated Development Environment (IDE), is a huge success. Sales for Kylix' cross-platform IDE for Delphi alone are in the multimillion-dollar range. Now Borland is pushing Kylix for cross-platform C++ development, and Ted told me Borland expects this to expand Kylix' market enormously."

...and many are begging for an 'Access-like' database tool for Linux....somebody's gonna make a bundle - why not Alpha ?

Ford

George Pelkofer

John:

I may stand corrected. I may have incorrectly stated (or failed to verify) what I've read concerning the non-microsoft OS / Office XP restriction.

I do recall that a Code Weavers rep mentioned this restriction in an article I read (and on their web site too, but I can't seem to find it now) concerning the Office XP EULA.

From a ZD Net article:

It's unclear at this point whether CrossOver Office will be able to support Office XP. On my radio program, CodeWeavers's Aric Stewart said a clause in the Office XP End-User License Agreement, which stipulates that Office XP be used only on top of a Microsoft operating system, could throw a hitch into those plans.

See the complete Ziff-Davis article:
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/business/story/0,2000023555,20264478,00.htm

Sorry if I mis-guided anyone; it was not my intention to give incorrect info.

Perhaps this is all just speculation on the *next* revision of MS's EULA .

At any rate, I'd like to see a native linux version of Alpha. I doubt that it fits in to their current plans, but who knows??

Just out of curiousity, what is Alpha written in? Is it technically possible / feasible to port it to linux?

George

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

No, I haven't tried it. Just a suggestion if you are choosing to boycott MS.

Aaron Brown
    Alpha Software

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

While we have contemplated porting A5 over to Linux, it is not in the plans, as it would be an enormous undertaking.

People don't seem to realize that it isn't just as simple as recompiling Alpha Five with a Linux OS. We have literally MILLIONS of lines of Win32 and MFC code that would all have to be analyzed and rewritten to work under Xwindows. The source code to Alpha Five alone is over 200 MB!

While I'm sure that we would have a linux user base, it simply isn't cost effective right now, as it would take thousands and thousands of man-hours to do this. In addition, there would be the added hassle of maintaining two separate bodies of code. Our small development team would be unable to do that and still continue to improve upon the existing product.

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Samba is simply a file sharing program that makes a linux server APPEAR like it is a Windows-based computer. You can use it to do run a simple NT domain. It is not a windows emulator, though.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Even with the Alpha Five Application Server (a.k.a web version), you will still need at least one Windows server to run it. But your desktop systems could certainly be running Linux, Mac OS or any other operating system that can run a standard web browser.

-Lenny

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Sounds to me like Aaron's just lazy ;)

John Pintado

George,

Thanks for your reply. Since the courts have already ruled that Microsoft has a monoply in operating system software, putting a restriction in their Office XP software license limiting it to running on Windows would seem like a dumb move.

As a consumer, I would like Linux to prosper because it brings competition to the marketplace. That's the same reason I want Alpha Software to prosper. The more competition, the better.

John

Real Name
    Daniel Haanpaa

Default Re: linux

http://www.bristol.com/windu/index.html
    Use this for porting alpha five and friends over to linux