Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgrade from Version 4.5 to 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from Version 4.5 to 5.0

Does anyone remember Alpha Five's promise or committment upgrade cost for version 5.0 for existing customers who purchased the upgrade from version 4.0 to 4.5?

RE: Upgrade from Version 4.5 to 5.0

Yes,

The upgrade cost is 100% applicable to v5. You will need to complete a rebate form. It only takes a couple of weeks for the rebate.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hello,

I don't log on too often these days. I began with Alpha in 1992 and progressed to version 4.5. I just called an 800 number to "get" my copy of 5.0 and got the real story...

I loathed version 4.0 and all it's difficult Alpha Windows predecessors, because the simple DOS power was scattered to the wind. (ie difficult if not impossible to re-create)
      The Alpha marketing postcards suggested that if I bought 4.5 and waited patiently, that I would *automatically* be sent 5.0 when it was finally released. I can do that.

Now I find that my "reward" for waiting is to send $300 and get back a rebate of the 4.5 purchase? That's not what I recall! If there was any inkling of additional cost or rebate HASSLE, I would not have bothered with buying 4.5.

Any second now, someone will point out that I have the "facts" all wrong and this was never the implication. Well, excuse me for saying so, but it absolutely WAS the implication. The price increase is a clever CYA maneuver.

As much as I dislike the thought of moving to Access, I have a bad taste in my mouth about this surprise treatment.

Marketing 101: Don't sweat the streaming videos too hard and go back to fundamentals like customer loyalty. I just had to let someone know that I feel violated by all this.

Tim

Comment

Glenn,

The 'committment', as you phrase it was that the price of V4.5 would fully apply to the purchase of V5. The purchase of V5 was not discounted; you pay the full price, fill out a rebate form and eventually (some number of weeks) get a rebate check for the price of V4.5. Convoluted, but it works.

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

This much is true about the Alpha 4.5 pitch:

1) You are giving us $150, investing your faith that ultimately 5.0 will be MUCH better.

Here is the key information that was missing from the original Alpha pitch:

2) When this program is eventually released, it will cost $300 so you will need to shell out $150 more.

I wouldn't have bought 4.5 if this had been stated. Now I'm being asked to have another leap of faith, which is REAL difficult given the track record of the Windows releases.

Tim

Comment

Regardless of the original offer and the rebate issue, I think that $220 is a very high price for just an update. Version 5.0 could be full of new feature but also lots of other companies releases upgrades softaware full of features and they do not charge as much for an aupgrade.

Even if we accept that price as good, why do we have to go trough that burocratic thing of mailing a cupon just for getting a refund. I do not get it... if our records show that we payed the $75 upgrade to 4.5 we should get that refund automaticaly on purchase of the 5.0 upgrade.

Hope somebody else shares my view point.

Comment

Claudio,

Why, I don't know. I do know that when I sent in my rebate, I asked that my cc be credited and they did. It took about 2 weeks.

Is the price too high? Some say "Yes" and some say "No". I also know that Alpha took a verbal beating over the price issue and lowered it to what it is now.

I have v5 and like it alot. I'm not an expert in Xbasic so the enhancements are a real blessing for me.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Claudio,

Thanks for sharing your similar dissatisfaction, wonder how many other potential customers were caught off guard.

This "upgrade" hasn't been handled well, which is why I'm very reluctant to spend any more money or time with Alpha.

To compound this PR problem further, WE have to do a rebate run-around to get our own money back?

There's some kind of disconnect between Alpha management & marketing as to what some customers are willing to put up with.

I work for a software company, so I understand the pains, excuses and rationale it requires to get a release out.

BUT... We've NEVER made any of our customers wait anywhere near this long and then further insult them by:

1) asking for a signifigant outlay based on a price increase not declared at the onset.

2) putting them through rebate hoops on top of that.

It's just amazing that this is viewed as acceptable...

Tim

Comment

Alpha stated that the cost of upgrading to Version 4.5 would be credited against the price of Version 5. There was never an implication that V5 would be free if you upgraded to V4.5 nor was there an implied price of V5.

Comment

Tim,

This subject has been discussed with vehement passion. I thought it had been put to rest. If you or any others want to read it, try searching this message board as well as the v4 message board. You'll find enough to keep you reading for hours.

kenn

Comment

Ignoring the rebate issue and addressing the price, I can't say that I'm thrilled about the price of the update, but Alpha has to make its own decisions about how to price its products to survive in a business that's seen the demise of many, often larger, competetors.

In the end, you have to weigh the benefits you believe you'll receive against the cost you didn't anticipate and do what's right for you. I know the things I haven't liked about previous versions of Alpha Five. They've caused me to look at several alternative products over the past several years. Even at its new price, none of the alternatives offer the price/benefit ratio that Alpha does for my purposes. The nice folks at Alpha also seem to have addressed many of my concerns in version 5.

I delayed hardware upgrades and ordered version 5.

Comment

I guess that when you get an outstanding database development product, with what I consider the best user-supported message board/help system, AND the ear of the owners of the company, you have to bitch about something.

Try posting a message with a question to an Access board hosted by MS (if there is one) and see how many helpful replies you get from BG. How about a suggestion that a user makes that ends up in an update (patch) to the product?

I don't like spending money needlessly any more than anyone else, but I would rather spend my money for a product from a company that supports and listens to me than for a product from a company that disappears in the dust. Who remembers dBase and Foxpro? Yeah, I know they still exist. Microsoft owns one, but I forget who owns the other. I've tried using both in their heyday, and Alpha software, in ANY of it's versions, beats the hell out of any of the others.

As I said in a previous post, based on Selwyn's participation in this message board, I get the feeling he is working for us! I think in reality he is.

Just my thought and opinions.

Dave
                        Dave Jampole
                        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Ken,

Thanks for your comments. 5.0 must be a breath of fresh air after all the flawed predecessors.

I'm sure there's a backlog of messages like mine because the issues are valid.

Since I didn't automatically get my copy of 5.0, I only now started investigating the whole story. I called the 800 number this morning and the price and rebate issues still absolutely astound me.

Tim

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for your comments.

Putting the marketing betrayal issue aside, what were the signifigant strides created with V5.0 you were waiting for?

Sell me! Because Alpha isn't doing the job properly.

Tim

Comment

Ohlen,

How can we not take that at face value? "Give us your money now for 4.5 to aid the product development and your reward will be to receive 5.0 when it's released.

No implied price for 5.0? Not even a projection? How utterly convenient.

Would you buy anything else in this blind trusting way?
                              I did. Now they want to "change the deal".

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X