Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgrade from Version 4.5 to 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Upgrade from Version 4.5 to 5.0

Dave,

I will bitch until I get satisfaction. I loved Alpha (1992-?) until the shoddy Windows releases were foisted upon a poor unsuspecting faithful customer base. Were you there? Do you remember how awful it was?

Because the Alpha discussion boards have been strong for many years, many users seem to have forgiven this "violation of trust" as I see it. ($$$/rebate debacle)

Alpha users suffered together through weak Windows program releases not unlike fellow coal miners, urging each other not to give up with tips, tricks, work-arounds, patches and other suggestions to make it all work somehow. That's the power in the community.

I'm also a moderator on a website for our independent reps and interface with real customers every day. It gives me great satisfaction to see great ideas implimented and become part of our software products. Is this the norm in the industry? No, of course it's not.

I'm grateful for the companies like Sonic Foundry, for example, who manage to keep pace with trends, deliver useful innovative software and still treat their users right.

By that I mean: fair pricing and not waiting through 2 recessions to get the opportunity to buy an upgrade at *surprise* greater cost.

As the Turko clown says: "That ain't right".

I hope the eyes and ears of Alpha are tuned in right now.

Thanks again for your input, Tim

Comment

Tim,
      I feel I got a good deal with V4.5 upgrade. I would have been happy to stay with that. It's true that I was a little disappointed when I found the price of V5, but I don't think I was lied to or baited to buy it.

Each of us buys almost everything in this blind trusting way. We rely on the maker/marketer to tell us the truth and buy based on their descriptions. When V5 came out, I had a choice = buy or not buy. I also had a 30 day trial. During that time I could get my money back. Few products we buy carry that kind of warranty.

Also, it's not fair to call this an upgrade. It's really a whole new program.

Comment

Tim

I have read your comments and we take them seriously

I would be happy to discuss your concerns if you email me at [email protected] with a phone number where I can contact you.

Word of mouth and customer satisfaction are important to us and I would like to explore with you your thoughts in more detail.

An important component of our new sales are generated through word of mouth and, for the most part, the feedback we receive is that we treat our customers fairly.

I look forward to hearing from you

Sincerely
        Richard Rabins
        [email protected]
        Richard Rabins
        Co Chairman
        Alpha Software

Comment

thanks for the message

A few comments

1. version 5 is a major new product, that was three years in the making. See http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftware/index000017551.cfm

2. The rebate process was designed as a security measure to provide us with opportunity to ensure that people who are due rebates are receiving them and to filter out rebates that are not "legitimate". Also we are turning around rebates much more rapidly than indicated on the rebate form.

In summary, we have worked hard to bring you a highly productive product in version 5 and trust that the productivity that you can achieve with version 5, will more than easily justify the cost. At the end of the day you need to make an informed business decision as to what works for you.

If you would like to discuss further, please email me at [email protected] and I will call you.

Thanks for your time
          Richard Rabins
          Alpha Software
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

We also offer 30 day refund policy on our software programs that cost thousands of dollars.

After several years of very hard work we offered our '5.0' (coincidence) for sale this past Spring. It was a brand new browser-based version of information retrieval. A "totally new" program in much the same way.

Guess what? SAME PRICE as the lesser 4.4 product it replaced.

These are all marketing decisions, my friends.

Comment

Richard,

Thanks for making yourself available. I'd like to discuss this issue soon. I'll send you my number shortly...

In advance of that discussion I offer these comments:

We also offer 30 day refund policy on our software programs that cost thousands of dollars.

After several years of very hard work we offered our '5.0' (coincidence) for sale this past Spring. It was a brand new browser-based version of information retrieval. A "totally new" program in much the same way Alpha is positioning Alpha 5 now.

Guess what? SAME PRICE purchase as the lesser 4.4 product it replaced. Same promise of improved productivity. Are you still current with 4.4 and want to upgrade to 5.0 DVD? That'll be $100. I know the rationalizations quite well.

Why bother with rebates? The explanation doesn't wash. Why not use customer purchase history? Here's a mailer with your price on it, based on your past purchases. Simple.

Rebates are generally employed because statistically a good number of people don't bother to follow through on them, netting additional income for the company involved.

Smart mailers make far more sense in trying to reach people like me. Instead I get phone calls from somebody who has no idea what I bought before or any sense why I might put up a fuss with this treatment as well as price & rebate resistance.

This could've been handled so much better, given how much time Alpha had to think about it. I always thought Alpha was a bargain until this.

Tim

Comment

I guess it was my tour of other products (Access, FileMaker Pro, Approach) that made me appreciate Alpha as much as anything else. Even version 4.5 allows me more flexibility without programming than any of the alternatives.

Each one of the other programs has features that I wish Alpha had. Ultimately, Alpha has more that I wish they had. I can simply do more with Alpha in less time than with the alternatives.

I don't know that there is any one new feature or set of enhancements in version five that make it a compelling upgrade for me. Cost and more demanding hardware requirements slowed my decision to upgrade. There have been many improvements in so many areas that all together, I decided the upgrade was worthwhile.

Another thing that made the decision easier is that Alpha staff has been responsive to concerns expressed on these forums by many different users. As they were trying to get version five out the door, it wasn't unusual to find responses on these froums from the Rabins and other Alphasoftware staff at all hours of the day and all days of the week. Because of their participation, they know the concerns of their customers and have been very responsive. I haven't seen that level of participation in forums run by other software companies, but perhaps I just don't know where to look.

In the end, if I look at my software collection, I'm not really all that picky about what word processor I use or what spreadsheet. The major players are all capable enough that it doesn't really make a difference. I am picky about the database I use. I want Alphasoftware to thrive and prosper so they will continue to support and enhance their products.

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for your comments once again. What you say parallels much of my experience and preferences.

As I have said before, I began working with Alpha in 1992, buying the newsletters, books, etc. Before too long I was talking to Sherry Martin, learning about field statistics to create a business app that is still running today.

Gee, could we have that app in a Windows format? Probably not in this lifetime. Alpha's first foray into Windows was an unguided missile. Shrug. I put plans on hold and waited.

Version 4.0 started to get better in several areas but was so bug laden I couldn't trust it or build any desire to work with it much. I put plans on hold and waited.

Version 4.5: We heard you and fixed everything! If you take the leap with us (spend more money w/o proof of desired outcome for me) we'll get you into 5.0 when it comes out. (take that msg any way you interpret it)

Crossroads: Do I throw more money at something that doesn't seem to be hit the mark or is as easy to use as it ought to be? (frustration index)

So I relent and buy into it. The bugs seem to be nearly all gone. But it's still not as easy or flexible as I think it ought to be. (damn DOS simplicity memories) So my plans are still mostly on hold...

And that brings us to right now. I have no problem spending $100 for Sonic Foundry upgrades or even $300 for full programs because they have demonstrated value to me. Their support is excellent, they know how to market to me.

My frustrating experience with Alpha makes it real hard to part with additional money for something with this history.

Frankly, I've missed 2-3 years of valuable discussions on the forums because I was so unhappy with the program(s). Perhaps these discussions would've helped me see more value in 5.0, but why spend precious time on something that has yet to prove itself worthy of your attention?

Richard Rabin has kindly acknowleged my messages and will be calling to put me straight. If I can get 5.0 at a fair price, I will share my comments with the forum, one way or the other.

Thanks to everyone.... Tim

Comment

Dave,

Microsoft does have a board where questions can be posted and IT IS TERRIBLE. You can occasionally get some help but it is really pathetic compared to this board.

I'm not saying Microsoft Access is a terrible program...but the Microsoft support boards leave alot to be desired.

As to the main issue...I always understood that the price of version 4.5 would be credited to the version 5 price...not that you would get a free version 5.

Like many people, I was shocked at the new prices. I do expect them to come down in the future. They are just too far above the market to be sustainable, in my humble opinion. But, I have been wrong before...

John

Comment

FWIW, I do Claudio

Comment

Everyone,

I'm being given the opportunity to evaluate 5.0 and will refrain from further comment until having done so.

Thanks for the sincere interest.

Tim

Comment

In my humble opinion, this whole price / upgrade procedure discussion has been beaten to death. At one point I beleive someone labeled people who persist in posting endless comments as 'horse floggers' and I think the name fits.

Each user has to make up their own mind whether to upgrade or not. Is anything being accomplished by going over and over the same points?

The bottom line is that Alpha is in business to make money (obviously), no one is being forced to upgrade; if 4.5 does the job, continue to use it and be happy, if you want / need the improved features of ver. 5 then you know the drill.

Bottom line - 'there is no free lunch!'

Comment

Of course there's no free lunch. But the point here is that by the time the entree was ready, it cost more than when I agreed to get in line.

Soon I will know if 5.0 is worth crowing about...

Comment

We WILL expect to hear you crow!!

kenn
                              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I look at the whole thing a little more philosophically, I guess. What is it that you want? I don't mean in a perfect word/idealistic sense, but rather in a practical sense. Access is king, so why not go with that? If you are not satisfied w. Access, perhaps there is some competing product that fits the bill? What is it? If that �other� brand is the product that is so great, or at least better than Alpha, why not use that and let the rest of us know? Otherwise, the implication would appear to be, that Alpha is, in fact, superior to the others, even though it may be flawed in some respects (including the price, perhaps). Without meaning to insult you, it seems to me (philosophically speaking, that is), put up or shut up. In other words, at this very moment, you have certain database choices that you, me or anyone can make. Presumably, if we choose Alpha, it is because we feel it offers a superior value to the competitor�s products. If it is inferior (by virtue of price or otherwise), buy the other product.

Peter

damn DOS simplicity memories

Again, no offense meant, but what did you find so wonderful about DOS? Sure Alpha Four was simpler, as was DOS. But I for one would dread having to back to the �unlimited� limitation of DOS � including Alpha Four. A5v5 may not be able to do everything in the digital realm, but it is getting damn close.
                                Peter
                                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                                X