Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CPU Usage and A5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU Usage and A5

Concerning the CPU Usage issue of Alpha Five (both version 4.5 and 5).

I've tried using the -NODBCHECK switch, but haven't had any success.
    (I asked Cian for a usage sample, but haven't gotten a reply yet. See Msg ID: 2383)

While waiting for the above help, I decided to use a small program that shows
    CPU usage while 'ANY' programs are running. The scale is 0 to 100%. I've included
    it so you can try it yourselves. (AlphaCPU.ZIP above)

It shockingly shows Alpha Five using 100% of the CPU time! Because
    Alpha does not insist on a 'high' process priority, I'm at least able to have my
    CPU program return results when Alpha does give up a time slice.

While that may not be much of a concern to a single user running only their
    Alpha program, it really impacts anyone running multiple programs on a single machine
    or anyone running Alpha on a machine that doles out data to others on a network.

Any other program being used this way will have it's performance severely limited.

Thinking that it might only react in this manner because I had developed forms with
    unusual controls, such as a tab control, I stripped everything down to a minimum.
    But it appears as if Alpha itself is the user of all the available CPU cycles.

Start Alpha and unload any program you've developed. The CPU Monitor still shows 100% use.
    As soon as you highlight a menu item (e.g. Help then About), the CPU usage drops to ZERO.

Since Alpha exhibits 100% CPU usage even when no programs are loaded, I'm not too sure the
    -NODBCHECK switch would work. I kinda think this is a cludgy fix anyway. Developers shouldn't
    need to resort to things like this to be Windows compatible.

Well lets hope we get this critical issue resolved. Perhaps some information could be put in the
    'Announcements' area so developers could be kept updated.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this issue and it's not that important. Let's hear from the experts.

Cian?

Best Regards,
    --Bob

RE: CPU Usage and A5

I have noticed via task manager that while idle A5 takes 99% CPU usage, but I haven't noticed it degrading my performance. Is it just taking the place of system idle process?

Comment

Bob:

Using the WinXP Pro Task Manager/Performance tab I see a different result. Loading A5V5 from a desktop shortcut without the -NODBCHECK switch, V5 processor usage climbs to 100% when a form is loaded and stays there for a good percentage of the time afterwards.

However, when I add the switch to the startup, the processor usage climbs briefly to 100% during a form load and drops back immediately after and only climbs back to to the 100% range during form loads or major script processing and then it is usually transient.

Finian
      Finian

Comment

How do you put the switch in? I know it used to be appexe -command. I tried that and got no where. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

"C:\Program Files\A5V5\alpha5.exe" -NODBCHECK

My shortcut has the above in the target field and I don't experience the constant high cpu utilization when alpha5 is started from this shortcut. I also changed -NODBCHECK to -nodbcheck and it works either way, with the argument in lower case or upper case. Now, when I take the -nodbcheck off, then all available cpu is used by a5.

vkj

Comment

Thanks for the correct syntax. I was including the -nodbcheck within the parenthesis. Havn't done that since Dos! Your are right too. It makes a big difference.

Comment

I noticed that there are more details as to the effect of using this switch in the FAQ.

>> (the side effect is that when you add forms or tables >> to a database they will not show up very quickly, and >> you may need to close/reopen the database

To the alpha guys: Would it be possible to add a button on the menu bar that would allow us to scan the adb on demand (for those of us that decide to use the -nodbcheck switch)? So if we create a new form or table, hit the button to refresh, instead of having to close/reopen the database?

Thanks,
              vkj

Comment

The real question concerns the need for the checking in a runtime application. If the primary purpose for checking the adb file is to track changes, why include it in the runtime that the user can't change? Using the switch really reduces CPU usage. Maybe a switch option in settings would be appropriate.

Jerry

Comment

You are right - the runtime should not need this option since the user of a runtime app never changes the contents of an .ADB file - I will add that change to my 5.0 buglist.

Comment

Cian,

I notice the slowdown most when trying to import or print jpeg images with A5v5.

I'm only guessing at A5 internals here, but it seems to me A5 is doing some VERY persistent polling of the .adb for changes without the nodbcheck switch. Instead of "never" or "all the time" as the only two choices, might it be possible to let developers choose how often to check for changes. Even limiting the check to once per second and only when the control panel has focus would free up a lot of processor time.

Comment

This sounds great. Although I am waiting for my boss to get Ver 5 in the mail, (any day now,) this will let me leave it on while in development(speed for me) - but turn it off for users(computer speed for them). I presume that on a network, as long as ALL users have the same shortcut flag, then the servers CPUsage is what is controlled.

Comment

William,

I would assume that the cpu usage on the machine that loads Alpha Five would be the one affected by the switch. If loaded at a workstation, I don't think the cpu on the server will be affected. Is my cap pointing in the wrong direction (again!) ?

-- tom

Comment

now that I think about it - by golly - you have to be right - since the runtime is on each workstation - thank's

Comment

Cian,

Again, guessing at internals, but what if the ADB scanning used file modify time as a test for needing to rescan, an algorithm something like this:

W = 500 ' Number of milliseconds to wait
                            L = 0 ' file date and time when last scanned

WHILE .t.
                            F = file_get_numeric_date_time( MyADBName)
                            if F > L then
                            L = F
                            Rescan MyADBName
                            end if
                            Pause this thread for W milliseconds
                            END WHILE

Comment

Yes it does do something like this. I suspect that the
                              constant locking the that 'structured store' .ADB file has a lot to do with all the time taken - I think that if we kept the list of tables & .ADB settings in a data dictionary (i.e. ALB) instead, it would be far more efficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X