Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Selwyn question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selwyn question

Selwyn, I think it's great that many people here are programmers but it sure would be nice to have a way to learn much of this fun stuff. Sitting here at a computer and not having a clue of what much of this stuff is can be troublesome. Many of us want to learn more but where do we go. I have been an alpha user since version 3. Unfortunately I havn't been able to use much of what alpha has. I feel like I'm all alone here and few to turn to. Please remember that there are users like me who truly want to learn more and faster. I am aware that some of the questions I ask may seem silly but to some of us they are not. I'm just not afraid to ask anymore. Unfortunately because they seem silly then they are ignored or talked over. I hope you understand that there are many users out there who are where I am. I understand alot of it but much I don't. I certainly dont want to complain but I must make aware of this. Your company has put a great product. I paid good bucks for the software and am not complaining. However, people like me need more help and truly there is nowhere else to go. Maybe even pay someone to help nonprogrammers like me who truly want to learn. You would be amazed of how many more customers you might get who are somewhat intimidated. Many of us want to put our own package together. Thanks for listening. That I know this company does.

RE: Selwyn question

I am also new to alpha software and I must agree that the information provided by alpha is not what I expected. I think that alpha is missing the boat by not providing printed manuel for there products. I have been working with filemaker pro and feel that alpha offers a lot more for the bucks. But, you can get books on the filemaker that really do help beginners. I evern ordered Dr. waynes new v5 book, I proberly will be able to use it after I spend several months trying to figure out what i can do with alpha.
    thanks

Comment

David

Don't feel that any of your questions are stupid there not. I now I try to answer as many questions as I can but just don't understand everything myself. This is a fantastic user board and I know that you will get help. I think one problem right now is everyone is busy trying to learn about the new features themselves.
      Hang in there.

Rick T

Comment

Along those lines, if there was a reasonably priced 2-3 day course with hands on instructions on getting started........ I'm there !!!!

Comment

For myself I don't feel they are stupid questions. However when ask for a more detailed idea on how to do something it is assumedthat I know how to initially get to a certain point. Many years ago I was a Q&A programmer. I must tell you though that I got that way because I got some detailed idea on how to get to a certain point. For instance, I had asked about dialog boxes previously. When an answer is given it is assumed that I know how to get to all the certain points. I'm not saying I don't know how to get there many times but many times I don't. Sometimes just walking through the initial steps is so helpful. When I program I certainly do that. I was taught some time ago, never assume! This is great board but like anything else it has its drawbacks too. You must understand, I believe in small business and I just think it would be nice if we could get a more step by step idea on how to do things. I assure you no offense intended. I think the people who own alpha are great. However we can all use advice and feedback.

Comment

Count me in for that course, as long as it's basic and does not assume any prior programming knowledge. I too have used Alpha since version 3 - I struggle to make it work by trial and error, sometimes working up to 16 hours at a time until I'm blurry eyed and want to smash the computer with a sledge hammer. Eventually, I get there, creating what I need for my very simple application, and then I just use it without revision. Then, when an updated version comes on the market, I am always tempted by one or two of the advertised enhancements, so I purchase it, and having totally forgotten what I did previously, I have to learn all over again - but now there are even more choices and no resources other then this message board.

With A5V5, I was tempted only by it's ability to copy letters (I use a lot of them) to Word, and to e-mail letters in pdf format. While I'm making headway on the pdf part (sometimes anyway, but it's erratic), the copying letters to Word doesn't work for me. So, I spent over $700 (have 3 on a network) for something I can't figure out. How stupid of me.

I probably loaded the update incorrectly, but the instructions were vague. The "Database for Everyone"?? - yeah, right.

Obviously, I'm not alone in my frustrations.

Amy Adkins

Comment

I'm with you too. Anything to take away some of this trial and error stuff. I am quite aware that that is an important part of learning, however it also scares you from trying what could be fairly easy tools. Obviously, we like the company and have desire to learn the software better. Of course we are all great people, but we need more help guys!

Comment

Tom,

I agree with that 100%.

As such, are there any a5 users who feel sophiscated to meet with the starters on a paid basis to help them get going? Maybe such a user would not be up to full speed on A5, but it could be better than what we have now.

I know there is an upcomiong class in Chaicago with a professional Alpha instructor, but it is expensive to travel there with flight cost, hotel, etc.

Or maybe on a more cost effective basis is there a way to get the users together to learn this software.

While this message board is good, I do not fgeel I am getting close to understanding the many features of A5.

There is no doubt about the power of a5. It is getting newbies and non-programers to be able to use a5 to produce work output.

Sincerely,
                JG
                Houston, TX
                281-679-9357

Comment

David:
                  Where are you all from.
                  There are developers in all parts of the country.

put the city and state on the post
                  maybe some one can help.

Charlie Crimmel
                  Scott Depot WV

Comment

I'm from the Springfield Missouri area. I just moved here from St. Louis Missouri area last year. I never really found anyone in St. Louis when I was there. Now being in the Springfield area I feel just as alone. It's too bad, it is great software but I feel like I've got a Porche and can't hardly change gears. I know that if I learned more of this I could do quite well in this business. I went back to the appliance service business but that is a dying business. I really want to learn much more about variables, xdialog, and all the fun stuff. Boston is a long way from here.....lol

Comment

I too understand your circumstance. I guess I understand because I was there about 10 years ago. I remember I received a mailing on Alpha 4 Version 2. I didn't know what an application was, a script or even really what a database consisted of. I had a need and I wasn't even sure if this program would satisfy it. When I received the software and loaded it I was instantly stick. I didn't know where to go and quite honestly the book didn't help either. I started with the basics. I made my first database. Created maybe 5 fields in a table and messed around with the field rules. I then created a form and started placing these fields on the form and manipulating them in different ways. It took me 6 months before I could even start the application that Alpha was intended for. I guess my point is that we have to crawl before we walk with any program. Use this Message board and ask anything you don't understand(don't worry either, I already hold the record for the dumbest questions ever asked on this board). Use www.learn alpha.com as another resource. Start slow and soon you'll be answering some questions. I for one will offer my assistance.

Jeff Wolfe
                      Virginia Beach, VA
                      Jeffrey Wolfe

Open Source Solutions
                      Phone: (757) 819-4230
                      Fax: (888) 300-5994
                      E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I do understand lots of alpha because I've done my share of stuff in it. However, there is a point when I just don't want ot spend those hundreds of hours on hit and miss. It's just too frustrating. I agree the board is great, however there are some things that either I don't get an answer to or its put into terms that I don't understand. I guess what I am saying is that there is a market out there and you're going to have to do more than just supply the software. I can take classes in Access if I like but I am not interested in Access. What I want more than anything is a more step by step approach of some of the things I would like to learn. I dont want greek to look greek anymore or at least I dont want to take too many years to learn the language. I was taught a long time ago. Sometimes you have to rattle the top to get results. It's good for business.

Comment

If everything was easy everybody would be an excellent Alpha programmer. What you have to understand is that the harder you work the sweeter is when you can see the fruits of all of your work.
                          Don't give up and continue.Even if it takes you 2 years that is nothing.
                          I ask the dummiest questions and I get an answer most of the time, sometimes I don't get the answer I expected but most of the time it gives me a direction.
                          Hang on buddy!!!!
                          The Mexican

Comment

I'm sure you people mean well but I dont think you're getting the correct idea. Sometimes this gets even more frustrating so let me try this again. I do work hard at it when I can. I have learned lots by trial and error, but don't ever think sitting here trying the same thing over and over is great progress. I don't want to invent the wheel. I want to learn from other people. I am a bright guy but one of the reasons I have gotten where I am is by learning from other people. Sometimes they've got places call schools where you can go to learn. There is no school anywhere that I know of that teaches Alpha. There is basically no one around here that uses alpha that I am aware of. No one wants alpha to get bigger than I do. I appreciate small business more than most. I even have a radio show I do and I preach that more than anything. What I am hoping is that the alpha people don't forget to do is to use some of their hard earned money to get more people involved in buying and using their product. This is a teriffic program no doubt. However if they keep it quiet then no one knows now do they. Besides, I like to see good people do well. When there is no one around it can be very frustrating. I'm sure that is part of the frustation but dont ever forget I know I'm not alone as you can see by the answers to my topic. I was the first in line to say that the price was fine and I had no complaints. This is more suggestions then anything. I just happen to be a little more vocal about it. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hi,

This a post that Selwyn made in response to Amy:

Msg ID: 778
                              Subject: RE: Attention: Computer Illiterates/Amature New Us
                              Author: Selwyn Rabins
                              Date: 07-27-2002 9:21 AM
                              File:

I agree with you Amy. For a first time user, it can be hard to know how to get started because there is so much in v5.

We are working on two new books which we hope to release at no charge in the next couple of weeks.

1. a quick introduction to a5 (i.e. a getting started guide)

2. a book called "behind AlphaSports" that shows how we built AlphaSports.

It would be most helpful if posts were NOT written in one long paragraph. It's hard on the eyes, hard to follow and when I see a long post w/o paragraphs, I usually say, "See ya". Simply too much for one bite.

Thanks,

kenn
                              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
                              X