Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Programming question-Alpha sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming question-Alpha sports

Just had a simple programming question. I was studying the database to learn from you guys and just wondered how you did the shipping address. I realize you have it where you can say same as billing or not. My question is what it is doing behind the scenes and how. That's how I learn from other people.

RE: Programming question-Alpha sports

Hi David

I have not had a look at this version of Alpha Sports Shop but it is very simple to acheive. The same check box is just a flag and somwhere there is a condition that checks if the flag is true (the default is false) and then copies the values from the billing address to the shipping address. I have made this as a button instead of the check box on my forms so as I press it the shipping address is visable to the user. It makes them more comfortable with the data.

Keith Hubert
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

"My question is what it is doing behind the scenes and how."

He would like to know the details of how you did it.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Thanks Ken.

The first thing I did was to open the Invoice form in design mode and look at every field both properties and actions. Made a small change and noted the result and kept playing around to see what I had acheived either good or bad. As I am not so smart all I did was to put this onto a Button that ran this script. The fields are on the form and the customer_table is linked in the set and is used as a lookup.

formname->shipping_comp=customer_table->Company
        formname->shipping_addr1=customer_table->Addr1
        formname->shipping_addr2=customer_table->Addr2
        parent.commit() 'this saved it and was now visable.

Maybe not the best way to do it but it works. Hope this helps and gives you some more ideas.

Keith Hubert
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I appreciate the effort but I was wanting to find out what they were doing and their thinking. I really didnt' understand it and thats why I was asking. The best way I can become a better programmer is to learn from others. In turn I can help people with problems that I can address. So please dont take this the wrong way, I was wanting a somewhat detailed description of what they did. The one major problem with alpha is that most of us are all alone. We dont have user groups in our area to learn from or even some kind of tech school to learn what alpha is doing. So, this is the platform. I truly hope that alpha can take some of this money that we do pay and expand in such a way that these things are available to us. No offense, but just writing code and expecting me or other people to know what it means and where is goes is somewhat naive. I'm quite smart but some of that comes from being able to ask questions instead of spending millions of hours learning from scratch. Well, did I say it right? LOL

Comment

David,
            I think if you take a look at the field rules for the customer table in the Alpha Sports application, you will find that for shipping address, ship city etc. there are default data entries defined with lookupc and skip fields defined with lookupl functions that determine how this entry is made. I haven't had time to study it, and I won't be at the computer for a while but perhaps this will start to answer your question. Will check back later to see if you are still searching for answers

Jim

Comment

Well actually I did see the lookupc programming. I was just trying to figure out how it knows that when the shipping is the same which is a true statement then it knows how to make the shipping fields take it and when it is a false statement when it doesnt. Sorry if that seems so first grade to some but I just didnt understand it. I have a similar situation with what Im doing and I just wanted to see how this was done. I havnt used the lookup statements much and was trying to figure it out.

Comment

Hi David

You will have to do this step by step and it is good that you are asking the questions here. Each individual question that you ask, will 99.99% of the time get answered somehow. I feel that you are trying to rush this a little bit. The idea is that as you examin each part of the application and make an ajustment to it you will learn hands on what works and what does not. Also try and work through the learning manuals that came with Version 5. They are exellent learning tools. The "why" to do something comes after you know "how", in the mean time have some trust in your own skill.

Open the Invoice form in design mode and look at the Shipping address box. You will see there it starts with "If". This is where the shipping address is tested to see if it should be the same as the billing address. I do hope this has put you on the right track, good luck.

Keith Hubert
                London.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Per Selwyn:

Msg ID: 521
                  Subject: RE: Alpha Sports Ship To Address
                  Author: Selwyn Rabins
                  Date: 07-24-2002 9:02 PM
                  File:

it is very easy.

just put an rtf object onto a form. (to do this select the rtf object from the toolbox -- its the one with the "R" icon).

then when you are editing the rtf object, just right click and select "Insert". (you can also click the "Insert" button on the floating rtf toolbar).

insert an Expression. you can insert any expression into the RTF. it is very easy, (and with all due respect to Barry, it was not that much harder in V4 :) )

Comment

Working...
                  X