Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

email receive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: email receive

John,

You do not describe the error you receive and I don't know much about this but,

----
    dim e as l
    e=Email.receive()

dim e as p

e = email.open( )
    e.client_hostname = "my details"
    etc
    -----
    should give a variable type error as you have e as l and as p.

Furthermore doesn't e.client_hostname require a character variable? (But perhaps compound variables allow multiple types.)

just a thought,
    Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Hello Bill

I am not getting a code error its just a message box more or less saying that no emails have been downloaded.

I asume from this that it has run the script properly and that I have a problem with my personal details.

I will try your suggestion though

Regards

John
      Failure makes improvements

Comment

John

I have updated the script and now get the same message as you. It does appear that the script is exacuting correctly. As for having the personal information wrong I'm not convinced that is what is wrong as we both must have the same error. Also the email client will send emails so the only thing that could be wrong would be the incoming settings.

Rick T

Comment

Rick

I agree with you

I did not mean our personal details were wrong I ment the A5 settings are incorrect

Have you seen the message from Bill on the board

John

Comment

Amendment to the previous message

email_receive(.t.)

Should be placed before

Dim es as p

Not as shown

John

Comment

John,

"Bingo". I am not a programer and I don't want to be one. It should be simpler to start up with a simple default like Netscape does. If the more educated people want some special so be it. For most of us, we just want to get started with a simple "yes or no question". You want to receive email or you do not? Here is the name of the default file and the directory where it is stored. End of story.

Likewise, I strongly feel that there should be an email tab directly on the front of the control panel. Email is just as important as letters, reports and a heck of lot more important than labels. Why should someone new have to go on a Easter egg hunt to find something that many people use on an hourly basis?

Thanks a million,
              JG
              Houston, TX

Comment

Hello John

I think you have replyed to me by mistake

I am trying to figure out email receive

Regards

John

Comment

John,

I replied to your email because of your statement "Some of that stuff in there is heavy going for someone like me." and in regard to BEING ABLE TO both receive and send email simply in a5. The gist of my comment, was to do as other programs that have email so that it is simple to set-up. I want to use the a5 data to handle my work requirements and then send out the reports (via email) as required. Likewise, I want to receive back via email comments, updates, new data and to be able to simply incorporate it directly into my a5 data-base.

As such, yes I want to also receive email in a5 but I do not want to have to read numerous emails/instructions "to figure out" what should be a simple task and is a simple task in Netscape, etc.

Thanks a million,
                  JG
                  Houston, TX

Comment

Yes I fully agree with you

Regards

John

Comment

I have just started looking into this, but I see on page 511 of the Xbasic manual in the example in the 9th line "e.receive_autodelete = .t." If that were .f. it appears that the message would be left on the server.

Comment

Hello Bruce

My messages are getting left on the server I don't seem to be able to access it thus getting the message 0 emails received.

I changed the .t. to .f. and it makes no difference

Thanks anyway for the input please keep trying

Regards

John

Comment

I could not find "a_inbox.dbf" in the v5 program folder. Is it somewhere else?

Comment

scratch that! It's there, apparently, I am not!

Comment

Have you managed to receive email yet. If so please let us all know

John

Comment

Try putting in this command before the e.receive()

(this was in the release notes for build 1246)

e.port = 110

I missed this patch and did not know this

I am now using build 1255_1005

By the way it still doesn�t work although it is needed

Information supplied by alpha

John

Comment

Working...
                                X