Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unhandled Exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhandled Exception

I am trying to use my newly downloaded A5V5 and surffer repeated "unhandled exception. Alpha5 will do a forced termination" error messages. This even happens in the demo "Alpha Sports" application.

Am I alone or are others having similar problems? It is nigh well impossible to make any progress with my work.

Peter Langford

RE: Unhandled Exception

i would hope that you are alone on this one. i would be fairly certain that the beta testers would have brought this to our attention, had it been a generic problem.

1. what are your machine specs (e.g. operating system, memory etc).

2. have you tried to install on any other machines?

Comment

Peter:

I experienced the same problem with Beta 1215. Upon viewing my app files, Selwyn was unable to duplicate the problem on three machines at Alpha. I installed the beta on two other machines with the same result and figured I had a corrupted download.

See if you can preview or create any reports with calculated fields. Often, just clicking the alpha menu buttons would trigger the dread 'Unhandled exception' forced close dialog.

Ken

Comment

Dear Selwyn,

Thanks for the reply, I have a 1.4 Mhz AMD Athlon with 512Mb memory - nothing special in other words. Like Ken, I had similar problems OCCASIONALLY with Beta 1215. I tried several machines - all same result but I put it down to 'unfinished' product and it was infrequent.

I will try another computer and get back to you.

Thanks again

Peter Langford

Comment

Peter, do you and Ken Herrold have anything in common?

For example are you both using a non USA regional setting somewhere in Windows?

If so, I'm curious if the problem goes away if you change to USA settings.

-- tom

Comment

Hello Tom,

I an in UK so have non USA settings. I don't know about Ken.

I am installing on a 'new' machine and will try bot USA and non USA settings.

Watch this space

Peter

Comment

Peter
              Ditto. Unhandled Exceptions followed by ! Error 1 whenever I attempt to click on the toolbar. Like Ken I am also experiencing NON EXISTANT CALC FIELDS in report. 1 st time report is run all is well, subsequenr reports non existant. Reported to Selwyn early in the week but as with Ken, Selwyn was unable to reproduce. Have forwarded screen snapshots to him for posterity. Hmmmmm.

John

Comment

Further to above post.

Another app ported from ver 4.5 does not exhibit this behaviour. Only the app designed in V5 Beta reacts this way.

John

Comment

Ditto here and I'm in the US. Running a 700mhx pentium III.

I only loaded A5 briefly yesterday afternoon but got missing calc fields in the Alpha Sports app, missing calc field in a report (which I had experienced in a beta and reported to Sewlyn --- this was solved by adding the calc field back in and saving under V5). I also had several rounds of unhandled exceptions. At that point, it was time to go to happy hour. :)

Comment

Same problem here. I am also having a problem with getting all the books to install. Anyone else?

Comment

One of the servers needs to be reset on our end.

We will do this as soon as possible

thanks
                      richard rabins
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

The server was reset at about 7.30 on Saturday Night July 20

thanks
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Thanks to everyone that replied,

I reinstalled on another computer and so far there seems to be much less of a problem with the 'Unhandled Exception' error - back to being very infrequent. However I think someone at Alpha needt to look at this one because it behaves differently on different machines.

Version 5 is a great product so i@d like to add my voice to the chorus of people singing the praises of all the hardworking guys at Alpha. It's great to deal with a company that actually 'cares'.

Peter Langford

Comment

I don't know if this was resolved for everyone else by the server reset, I loaded from the server late Saturday night pacific time and can get consistent Unhandled exception messages trying to print reports from the Alpha Sports application. I had seen it also in some of the beta's, and it seemed to behave differently on the Win98 and Win2000 machines. I seemed to recall that it did not show up when doing my own work and designing my own reports, so stopped thinking about it. When it showed up now, I went back looking.
                            For me it seems to be related to the settings for the report sizes, margins, etc. When I first started, my default printer on the Win2000 machine was a Canon BJ 5100 and if you tried to print it would crash on command. If you went to form design and did a print preview it would show the report not fitting, and then crash. It seemed the problem was it didn't know how to handle a page that did not fit the printer.
                            I then changed the default printer to a HPIII, (generic laserjet)and everything runs fine, every report pops up as it should and no crashes. I would assume that to go back in to the reports and change the margins to fit all printers, may work, but it is late and I am not going to try it tonight. I believe that I have seen this or similar problems related to printing to different printers from the same reports and just designed reports that would work on the printer that needed the largest margin settings.
                            I don't know if this is the only issue, but I can make this machine crash every time and I am certain that I would be extremely annoying if I couldn't fix it. I have not tried it on the Win98 machine, but I think the difference is that it crashes and tells you to shut down Alpha, the Win2000 machine just blows you out of Alpha and puts you on the desktop.
                            If it matters these are Athlon machines, but it think I have seen it on the Pentiums also.

Jim Engdahl

Comment

Hi James,

I get the problem most often when designing forms - especially when working with calculated fields. I have tried it on Win 98 and ME by the way, both AMD but dirrerent specs. I can't try more (easily) because of the licencing requirements.

Peter Langford

Comment

Working...
                              X