Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A problem with shadow databases on a runtime app.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A problem with shadow databases on a runtime app.

Hi all,
    I have searched the forum for several days and have read everything I could find on bootstrapping, shadow databases, and network speed but have not found a solution to my problem. I hope someone out there will be able to help me, as I am sure it is a simple mistake I am making.
    I have written a database that uses many forms and the users will be opening and closing them often. I have runtime 20 user and created an installer to install the runtime version of the database on the server. I then created an installer for the bootstrap application to install on the client machine (using the instructions and script provided in the help on alpha 5 V6 called �Preparing a Runtime Installation to use a Shadow Database�). I installed the runtime bootstrap application or database on the client machine and then double clicked on the short cut created. It opened the dialog box asking me to locate the master database. I then navigated to the master database (that being the runtime insulation of my database on the server through the network) and clicked the begin install button on the dialog box.
    It then asks me to log in (I have security on the database) and begins to open the database behind the dialog box. This process takes about 10 minutes before it appears to be completed and asks me to log in again (the dialog box never closes on its own and I have to close the runtime and restart it to get rid of the dialog box.)
    When I run the runtime �shadow� database on the client machine from the shortcut created it appears to open fine but as I try to use it I find that the forms all open unbelievably slow. It does seem to access the data fast enough but the forms are not usable at this speed. I have also noticed some other bugs like the buttons on the client machine changing color along with some other glitches but it is the speed that really concerns me.
    Here is what I think is happening. If any one can help I would appreciate it:
    When I run the bootstrap application it seems as if it is not creating a shadow database on the client machine at all but on the server. This would explain why the forms are opening so slow. I have searched the client machine and can not find a shadow database anywhere. Is this possible? What am I doing wrong that the shadow database is not being created on the client machine? I am using the script exactly as it is in the instructions (I cut and pasted it to be sure). Is there another way I can create a shadow database on the client machine to use the master database on the server using runtime? I have tried just opening the runtime on the client and opening the master runtime from there to create a shadow but the command does not exist on the runtime version.
    Thanks again for any help you can give. I am sorry about the length of this post but I wanted to give you all the information I could.
    Walter

RE: A problem with shadow databases on a runtime a

Walter,

I don't know what your installer is doing or what a runtime bootstrap application might be.

Perhaps a description of a typical manual setup will help you.

1) the database is stored on the server in a shared folder
    2) each workstation is given read/write permissions to the database folder on the server
    3) the runtime is NOT installed on the server in the typical setup
    4) instead, the runtime is installed on each workstation

At this point the user could start the runtime, open the database on the server and the app would run just fine. But it would be slow. Still, this is a good way to test the network setup and connections between each workstation and the server.

Once the LAN setup is functioning correctly you would then "network optimize" each workstation to improve performance. This creates the shadow copy of the database on each workstation, as follows:

a) start the runtime on a workstation
    b) open the database on the server
    c) navigate to the control panel
    d) choose FILE, then NETWORK OPTIMIZE, accept defaults.

At the end of the optimization process your workstation will actually be running the database "through" the shadow copy just created.

Close the database.

Thereafter, "run" the shadow copy of the database on the workstation. i.e. Start Alpha Five Runtime, choose File, then Open Database, and open the shadow copy now resident on the local machine. Alpha Five will automatically connect to the actual database on the server.

This description assumes a manual installation in order to list all the steps (as best as I can remember them this morning). :)

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
      Thanks for your response but I think my problem is a little different. I think , and correct me if Im wrong, your solution has me installing the full version of alpha five v6 on the server. This is not posible in my case do to licencing. That is why I am installing a runtime version of the database on the server. for example what if you were creating a networked database to distribute to many seporate companies and did not want to purchase a full version of alpha 5 v6 for each distribution, This is why I have purchased the runtime version. I need one full version to create the database but should be able to distribute it with only the runtime. If you have any other sugestions I would appriciate it.
      P.S. The boot strap application I was refering to is a blank database with nothing but an autoexec script for creating a shadow database on the client machine that can be easily distributed and is explained in the help that comes with alpha five, unfortunately I must be doing something wrong.
      Thanks again,
      Walter

Comment

Walter,

In the scenario you describe the runtime engine would NOT be installed on the server. However, the database application WOULD be installed there. Are you possibly confusing the two ?

There is no need to purchase full version for your customers. Even if they had one it would NOT be necessary to install it on the server.

In the current release Alpha Five uses a file shared model. It is not client-server. The workstations do not run the runtime from the server. They run the runtime engine locally, but share the data sitting on the serve.

There is no such thing as a "runtime version of a database" in Alpha Five. The database is the application you've created, tables, sets, reports, the works. The engine that drives it is separate. It's either the full version or the runtime. Either one can "run" the database.

-- tom

Comment

Walter,

I've reviewed the bootstrap approach in the helps and think that maybe you got in trouble by opening the runtime engine on the server, instead of running it from a locally installed copy on the workstation.

To get this straightened out I recommend you uninstall the runtime engine from the server.

Leave the master database installed in a shared folder on the server.

Install the runtime engine on a local workstation.

Manually copy the "bootstrap" database to an empty folder on the local worktation.

Run the runtime engine.
          Choose File
          Choose open database
          Browse to the bootstrap database and open it (on the local machine) This will cause the autoexec script to fire resulting in the master copy (on the server) being shadowed to the local work station.

Close Alpha Five runtime.

Verify that the shadow files are present in a shadow folder under your runtime program folder on the local work station.

Then start the runtime engine again.
          Choose file
          Choose open database
          Browse to and open the shadow copy which now exists on the local workstation.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
            I was confusing my terminology. What I am putting on the server is what the installer made from alpha five is creating. I assumed it was a runtime version, thank you for clearing that up. I do however have a runtime engine installed on the server, as the server I am using to test is also my development machine. I was running the bootstrap from the workstation but I think you may be right that the runtime engine on the server might be causing the problem. I'll try using another computer without the runtime as the server.
            Thanks for your help and clarification of my mistaken terminology.
            Walter

Comment

Walter,

Let us know know it goes. We'll be pulling for you.

-- tom

Comment

I was going to ask a question and saw this thread which includes my question. I have the full version on my networked system server and runtime on another machine. The database is in a shared folder on the server and I have network optimized and created a shadow database on the other machine.

I too have experienced a problem with font colors changing in the shadow and extreme slowness in opening forms. I have not put any of this thru and install package etc that is also discussed. Just attempted a straightforward networked runtime client and server system.

Any experience with this font problem? What is happening specifically is that in some areas on a form with a red background, the check button text that appears white on the server is black (and hard to read) on the runtime machine.

No notion about the speed problem. Just put in a newer and much faster machine on the runtime end and have a hardwired network and it does everything fairly fast.

Lanny

Comment

Hi all,
                  Sorry it took me so long to reply but the board was down for a while and I just got back in. Thanks for all the help, the sugestions worked great. Thanks again,
                  Walter

Comment

Working...
                  X