Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What's wrong with this script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with this script?

Here's a challenging one:
    I have obtained the script below from a previous forum post. The object is to automatically save a mail merged word file in a spefified directory. The procedure works fine if I enter an absolute dir path. HOWEVER, I am using a 'variable' directory path. The operative directory name had been automatically created from a prior procedure (PEOPLE-"LAST_NAME) dependent on the active record. I have adapted the script as I thought best to include the reference to that 'variable' sub-folder but without success (phew, I hope this makes sense). Any idea what that 'variable' reference should look like or what is required to achieve this?

The error I get is: "OLE automation error. This is not a valid file name." (Just a reminder again that the procedure works fine with a predefined file path - i.e. the valid file name error is not neccesarily a clue).

app = ole.GetObject("","word.application")
    app.visible = .t. 'make sure Word is visible
    app.activate()
    Dim shared ws_mydoc as C
    'ws_id below is a unique document number that I sorted out earlier in unseen code
    ws_mydoc="C:\Contacts\Correspondence" + chr(92) + alltrim(PEOPLE-"LAST_NAME) + chr(92) + dmy(date())+ ".doc"
    app.ActiveDocument.SaveAs(ws_mydoc)
    app.ActiveDocument.close()

Thanks
    Hendrik

RE: What's wrong with this script?

Not sure where you got your code but the documentation says
    the syntax is

Pointer "OLE" = OLE.GETOBJECT( ProgId as C )

which would lead to

app = ole.GetObject("word.application")

with only one parameter.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan, I am too new to Xbasic to know how to apply what you're suggesting but I'm not sure that you're addressing the question. Perhaps I did not state the problem clearly. I should have also mentioned that Word is already OPEN when this procedure takes place... The challenge is not having to save the mail-merged document - that works fine as per my post. All I am trying to do is to DEFINE a specific directory path, part of which refers to a field name. One can refer to field names using the syntax: "table-"field_name" in creating a new directory or saving the file. But using this syntax for part of the DIRECTORY PATH reference does not work.
      What is the correct syntax?

Comment

The way you are doing this, your directory name literally includes "table-"fieldname" which is an illegal name.

You need to populate a variable with the field name and include the variable in the string. Strictly speaking, table-"fieldname is a pointer reference or dot.variable.
        In the earlier part of the script you need pointers to the table and field. The online help has clear examples relating to these methods.

dim tbl as p;dim fh as p
        tbl = table.open(tablename)
        fh = tbl.field_get("field_name")
        fieldname = fh.name_get()

dir.create("C:\fieldnames"+Chr(92)+fieldname)

would do the trick.

Finian
        Finian

Comment

Hi Finian
          Thanks for the advice. I have incorporated your suggested variable script as below. I was convinced this should work but I still get the 'check directory path' error.

***PLS NOTE: I obtained the original (SaveAs) script from a previous post on this forum and it works perfectly if I substitute the variable with an actual directory name... it's just the reference to the variable / field_name that is the issue - i.e. alltrim(fielname).

app.activate()
          Dim shared ws_mydoc as C
          dim tbl as p;dim fh as p
          tbl = table.open("people")
          fh = tbl.field_get("last_name")
          fieldname = fh.name_get()
          ws_mydoc="C:\Contacts\Correspondence"+chr(92)+alltrim(fieldname)+chr(92)+"test.doc"
          app.ActiveDocument.SaveAs(ws_mydoc)
          End

Comment

Actually, since you know the fieldname you don't need the pointer or anything else. Duh!

You need to check each step
            '---
            ws_mydoc_path="C:\Contacts\Correspondence"+chr(92)+"Last_Name"
            pathok = A5_is_Path_Valid(ws_mydoc_path)
            if pathok then
            ws_mydoc = ws_mydoc_path+Chr(92)+"test.doc"
            else
            dir_recurse_create(ws_mydoc_path)
            ws_mydoc = ws_mydoc_path+Chr(92)+"test.doc"
            end if
            '---
            If it gets through here OK then the problem is in your OLE App. pointer syntax as Stan suggested before.

Finian
            Finian

Comment

Finian,
              I just can't crack it. Your script seems sensible but it does not work. And I do not know enough Xbasic to know what tweaking it needs. Remember the directory had already been created by the time this procedure runs. I guess I would expect to use app.ActiveDocument.SaveAs somewhere rather than dir_recurse_create. So I have adapted your script as follows, including the app.ActiveDocument.SaveAs command - but it still does not recognize the 'intelligent' path.

app.activate()
              ws_mydoc_path="C:\Contacts\Correspondence"+chr(92)+people-"Last_Name
              if pathok then
              app.ActiveDocument.SaveAs(ws_mydoc_path+chr(92)+"TEST.doc")
              End if

I would have thought that the ws_mydoc_path would work, referring to the relevant path, but it doesn't. Again, if I use this syntax to check the valid path with a fixed (unintelligent) folder name, no problem.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!
              Thanks for your efforts so far.
              Hendrik

Comment

Just to clarify, checking the valid path with the people-"last_name reference works fine - i.e. the error is not in line 4 but in line 7!

Comment

It's getting a bit quiet out there and at the risk of appearing persitant, I again include the script below in the hope for a solution (problem seems to be in line 7 and line 4 works for me despite some earlier misgivings):

app.activate()
                  ws_mydoc_path="C:\Contacts\Correspondence"+chr(92)+people-"Last_Name
                  if pathok then
                  app.ActiveDocument.SaveAs(ws_mydoc_path+chr(92)+"TEST.doc")
                  End if

In hopeful anticipation,
                  Hendrik.

Comment

Out of the Blue..

Hendrik,

After my message last week I found the solution for the instability of the documentnames. It has everything to do with the position of the word.activate() command. I put it in the wrong place. Even the 'strategies' aren't needed anymore.

I created a very simple A5v7 solution with 1 table called People with fields: Last_Name, Sur_Name, Department, Pathtosave. It is attached as a zip file.

There is one line of code you have to change:
                    Code:
                    template_name = "\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Microsoft\Sjablonen\BT\A5.dot"
                    Change this line in to the Word templatepath in your situation. The A5.dot I used is also a very simple one and is enclosed in the zip file. Copy this template to your Word template folder.

Open People and go to the form tab. View People and push on the orange button. This will open the script where you can change the variable template_name. Save the script and push the button Merge to Word. If Word isn't active it will take some seconds to see some reaction. If Word is active it's more speedy.

Warning!
                    This application creates folders like C:\testcase\A5\BC on your C: drive. In these folder word documents with date and Last_Name are created. Actually the Last_Name value of the active record at the moment you pushed the butoon.

Code:
                    'Date Created: 04-Apr-2006 09:28:16 PM
                    'Last Updated: 08-Apr-2006 01:36:30 PM
                    'Created By  : Marcel Kollenaar
                    'Updated By  : Marcel Kollenaar

'// Thanks to Stan Mathews, Finian Lennon, Steve Wood
                    '// who's forum posts helped me a lot.

option strict

constant wdFormatDocument = 0 'FileFormat = wdFormatDocument

dim wdFileName as C
                    dim wdPathName as C
                    dim docnames as C
                    dim docname as C
                    dim i as N
                    dim WordDocCount as N
                    dim WordDocCountBefore as N
                    dim word as P ' Pointer for Word Object.

'// Creating the file path and name from the fields.
                    wdPathName = alltrim(people->Pathtosave) + "\\" + \
                    			 alltrim(People->Department) + "\\"
                    wdFileName = alltrim(dmy(date())) + alltrim(people->Last_Name) + ".doc"

'// Get a Word object before starting the merge.
                    '// The OLE.GETOBJECT() method uses an existing OLE automation object, 
                    '// if available. Otherwise, it creates a new one.

word = ole.GetObject("","word.application")

'// Make the application run in visible mode if not.
                    if word.visible = .F. then
                    	word.visible = .T.
                    end if

'// This part of code has been created with Action Scripting.
                    '// Merge data into a Microsoft word template.

dim template_name as c 

'// Type here your own full template path and template file name or
                    '// create/select with the Word merge button a new template and fill the alias
                    '// or full path and filename in the next line.
                    '// Your table and fields must be used in the template you reference.

template_name = "\Documents and Settings\Marcel\Application Data\Microsoft\Sjablonen\BT\A5.dot"

dim merge_type as n 
                    merge_type = 2    '1 = current record, 2 = all selected records, 3 = all highlighted records

'// Use or the above full template_name or the next alias from Alpha.
                    '// I use the A5.dot Decode the template name (it may have been encoded
                    '// to use a file alias (which is defined in the View/Settings dialog box)

template_name = filename_decode(template_name)

'// export the data from the current Form or Browse view to a temporary data
                    '// file that Word will use as its data source for the merge.

dim temp_Dataname as c 
                    temp_Dataname = a5_exportdatamailmerge(merge_type)

'//Now merge the data....
                    if temp_dataname <> "" then
                    	a5_word_merge("template",temp_dataname,template_name)
                    end if 

'// End of Action Scripted Code.

xbasic_wait_for_idle()

'// Activate the merged document.
                    '// The last document has always index number 1.
                    word.documents(1).activate()

'// Count how many doucuments are opened in Word.
                    '// This works only for one Word session. A second session
                    '// creates the same numbers and files will be overwritten.
                    '// This is for testing purpose only.
                    'WordDocCount = word.documents.count

'// Create a docname.
                    'docname = "mydummy" + alltrim(str(WordDocCount)) + ".doc"
                    'ui_msg_box("Name of document",docname)

'debug(1)

'// Create the folder up to the leafnodes. If the folder can't
                    '// be created a messagebox will appear.
                    if file.dir_create_recurse(wdPathName) = .F. then
                        ui_msg_box("Warning","Could not create path.")
                    else

xbasic_wait_for_idle()

'// 
                    	if file.exists(wdPathName + wdFileName) = .F. then

'// Now save the document with a name distilled from the table fields.
                    		'// See VBA Word Help file for explanation of parameters.
                    		word.documents(1).saveas(wdPathName + wdFileName,\
                    								   wdFormatDocument,.F.,"",.T.,\
                    								   "",.F.,.F.,.F.,.F.,.F.)
                    	else
                    	    ui_msg_box("Warning","File: "+ wdPathName + wdFileName + " already exists." )
                    	end if

'// Activate the Word application.
                    	word.activate()

'// Now put some text on top of the document.
                    	word.selection.typetext("Document: " + wdPathName + wdFileName)
                    	word.selection.TypeParagraph()
                    	word.selection.TypeParagraph()

end if
                    delete word

end
                    I hope this example will contribute to keep you on board of the Alpha Five community ;)

If you need help to integrate this code into your application just ask.
                    Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                    ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Out of the Blue.

Some additional information.

The code above was created in A5v7. I've tested it in A5v6 and it will run in version 6 without change.

I noticed an annoyance not related to A5 but to Word. If you have Windows XP SP2 and Office XP or Office 2003 you receive the “Opening this will run the following SQL command” message when you open a Word mail merge main document that is linked to a data source. This can also happen if you create a template. When you place merge fields in a main document or template a data source is connected. For a template this is unwanted because A5 creates a temporary ascii-delimited data source when it does a merge. The name of the data source is different every new merge. The database fields you want to merge must match with the fields you used in the merge template.

The SQL warning helped to warn that a data source is still connected. In our case this is unwanted because every merge A5 starts is stopped by this warning and you have to answer "yes" or "No". "No" disconnects also the data source but then you are already in a merge session. You can solve this by changing the document type right after you put the merge fields in the document or template.

This can be done as follows:

The template must be open for editing. Activate the merge button toolbar, click on the first button from the left. A menu appears. Choose "Normal Word document", click OK and save the template. Now it is a template with plain fields not currently related to a data source.

If you want to get rid of the SQL-warning completely see the Microsoft Knowledge Base. But then you have no warning that a data source is still conneced.

BTW. If you place Word merge fields by hand Ctrl+F9 for {} and type the code between it as in {MERGEFIELD Name \* MERGEFORMAT} you don't need a data source connected and the document or template stays a 'normal' type document.

I hope this will help.
                      Last edited by Marcel Kollenaar; 04-09-2006, 10:32 AM.
                      Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                      ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Working...
                      X