Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query Could not Create Temporary File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query Could not Create Temporary File

I have a script which rebuilds the balances on a file called "Bookings" from 2 related tables , being "Charges" and "Payments". The script loops through all bookings and then via related records in the "charges" and "Payments" table.

The script will work for around about 16 records and then I get the message:-

idx1.query_create() could not create temporary file

I have read about problems in relation to the number of queries open , but as you will see from the code I frop each query after each sub - loop. Interesting If I remove one of the sub loop s(eg: idx2 query loop) . It runs to completion.

Can anyone help?

'*** rebuild Account Balances ****
    t=table.open ("Bookings")
    t1=table.open ("Charges")
    t2=table.open ("Payments")
    t.index_primary_put("Bookno")

t.fetch_first()
    while .not. t.fetch_eof()
    '*** Update Status Bar ****
    nCount=nCount +1
    statusbar.Percent(nCount,nMax)

'**** Get Charges *****
    nCharges=0
    nChargeTax=0
    nPayments=0
    query.order = "bookno"
    query.filter = "bookno = " + str(t.bookno)
    idx1=t1.query_create()
    t1.fetch_first()
    while .not. t1.fetch_eof()
    nCharges=nCharges+t1.Amount
    nChargeTax=nChargeTax+t1.tax
    t1.fetch_next()
    end while
    idx1.drop()

'*** Payments ****
    query.order="bookno"
    query.filter = "bookno=" + str(t.bookno)
    idx2=t2.query_create()
    t2.fetch_first()
    while .not. t2.fetch_eof()
    nPayments=nPayments+t2.amount
    t2.fetch_next()
    end while
    idx2.drop()

t.change_begin(.t.)
    t.charges = nCharges
    t.Chargestax = nChargeTax
    t.Payments = nPayments
    t.change_end(.t.)
    t.fetch_next()

end while
    t.Recalc_CalcFields()

t2.close()
    t1.close()
    t.close()
    Mike Thomson

RE: Query Could not Create Temporary File

Mike, I think you've identified the problem. Three ideas come quickly to mind:

1) Use dbsum() or tablesum() to accumulate the "Charges" and "Payments" instead of the two inner loops you're doing.

2) If you want to retain the current code give the system a chance to catch up to the script by pausing the script before fetching the next Bookings record. Xbasic_wait_for_idle() will do this.

3) If I were not going to use dbsum() or tablesum() I'd avoid repeatedly filtering the Charges and Payments tables by simply doing a more direct accumulation sequence like this:

a) set index to the booking number field
    b) fetch the first matching Charge (or Payment) record
    c) begin accumulating the value
    d) fetch the next record and accumulate it if it's the same booking number, or stop if it's different.
    e) continue until the current booking number doesn't match any longer

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,

xbasic_wait_for_idle() certainly works and it also makes the code much solower to run.

I would have thought that in a sequential script (that I beleive runs in a single thread) , that there would be no need for this command. It's a bit hit and miss as to where to use it - the danger of course being (as per this example) - the problem dosen't hit until sometime after you have completed your testing.

I will look at dbsum & tablesum() and see how they can help me. I guess I have written this using the same type of coding logic I have used for different database systems.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Mike
      Mike Thomson

Comment

Mike,

I enjoyed reading your code. It's nice and clean. Was easy to follow. However, as I think you'll find, dbsum() and tablesum() encapsulate the same functionality. dbSum() will run faster (than Tablesum()) but will require the presence a permanent index.

Let us know what you finally decide.

-- tom

ps. When to employ xbasic_wait_for_idle() is at first something of a hit or miss experiment. As you gain experience you'll begin to think of it whenever your scripts set a process in motion that requires disk activity. In the case at hand each query you run results in a query list file that must be written to disk. The query list is not maintained in memory. It's this list which then is used to step through the selected records to aggregate your total Charge (or Payment). Anyway, while the disk write activity is occurring the script keeps running. It does not wait for some signal from the operating system that the disk write is finished. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I used dbsum as suggested
          On my data it ran in 2 seconds vs 5 seconds for the script I had with xbasic_wait_for_idle.

It also had the advantage that the Status bar is smooth rather than jerky. (I dont know why alpha does this - since I am only updatin it exactly the same number of times and in the same loop)1

This function is fine when you only want to sum a single field, however if you have more than one field (eg: in My example tax and amount in the payments table) you have to run it twice - which means 2 passes of the database for the same filter.
          Mike Thomson

Comment

Mike, yes, the double pass through the table would trouble me, too. The third approach I discussed early neatly avoids the problem and would run quite quickly.

-- tom

Comment

I take it what you are saying still involves using idx_create() for each of the charges and payments file, but then to loop through them individually (but once only) and then for each change do a fetch_find on the bookings table and then update records.

This will work, but from a purist point of view I would rather start with the parent a drill down to the child records since this is makes the code eaiser to follow when it comes to maintaining it.
              Mike Thomson

Comment

Mike,

Actually it's a lot simpler than that.

If one assumes that the Charges and Payments tables both have permanent indexes defined on their bookno fields you can "sort" their records (so to speak) by setting their respective "bookno" indexes primary. Check the helps for information on "tbl".index_primary_put().

So, without running any queries or using dbsum() you can aggregate the Charges and Tax for any given Bookno like this:

dim vn_Charges as N
                dim vn_Tax as N
                dim vn_BookNo as N

Bkg_tbl = table.open("Bookings")
                Bkg_tbl.index_primary_put("ByBookNo")
                Bkg_tbl.fetch_first()

vn_BookNo = Bkg_tbl.Bookno

Chrg_tbl = table.open("Charges")
                Chrg_tbl.index_primary_put("ByBookNo")
                Chrg_tbl.fetch_first()

while .not. Bkg_tbl.fetch_eof()
                vn_Charges = 0
                vn_Tax = 0

result = Chrg_tbl.fetch_find(vn_BookNo)

while Chrg_tbl.bookno = vn_BookNo .AND. .NOT. Chrg_tbl.fetch_eof()
                vn_Charges = vn_Charges + Chrg_tbl.Charges
                vn_Tax = vn_tax + Chrg_tbl.tax
                Chrg_tbl.fetch_next()
                end while 'no more charges to process

'at end of the loop vn_charges and vn_Tax contain the
                'total charges and tax for all matching Bookno records.

Bk_tbl.change_begin()
                Bk_tbl.charges = vn_charges
                Bk_tbl.tax = vn_tax
                Bk_tbl.change_end(.t.)

Bk_tbl.fetch_next() 'go get next booking number
                End While 'no more bookings to process

'cleanup on way out
                Bkg_tbl.close()
                Chrg_tbl.close()
                end

Since the ordering arrangement for the table is controlled by the permanent index your script simply has to find the first matching record and then step through the records one after the other until the search key no longer matches or you run out of records. Very fast. You only open the table once. You do one find by key. You then process, fetch_next, process, fetch_next, process... and so on, until there are no more to process.

This approach is more difficult to script than a one line dbsum() statement, so I probably wouldn't use it if I were aggregating the charges and tax for a single booking. (I'm just showing the bare bones so you can see the logic. In practice you'd want to trap the errors that would occur if the Charges table couldn't be opened or if the fetch_find failed.) But in a case like yours where you're going to be compiling aggregate values for a series of bookings I'd probably use a sequence like this instead of dbsum().

-- tom

Comment

Or I guess I could just use my normal coding style and use fetch_find() to start each loop and then using primary index as you have suggested

ie: as follows

*** rebuild Account Balances ****
                  t=table.open ("Bookings")
                  t1=table.open ("Charges")
                  t2=table.open ("Payments")
                  t.index_primary_put("Bookno")
                  t1.index_primary_put (Bookno")
                  t2.index_primary_put("Bookno")

t.fetch_first()
                  while .not. t.fetch_eof()
                  '*** Update Status Bar ****
                  nCount=nCount +1
                  statusbar.Percent(nCount,nMax)

'**** Get Charges *****
                  nCharges=0
                  nChargeTax=0
                  nPayments=0

t1.fetch_find(t.bookno)
                  while .not. t1.fetch_eof() .and. t1.bookno = t.bookno
                  nCharges=nCharges+t1.Amount
                  nChargeTax=nChargeTax+t1.tax
                  t1.fetch_next()
                  end while
                  idx1.drop()

'*** Payments ****
                  t2.fetch_find(t.bookno)
                  while .not. t2.fetch_eof() .and t1.bookno = t.bookno
                  nPayments=nPayments+t2.amount
                  t2.fetch_next()
                  end while
                  idx2.drop()

t.change_begin(.t.)
                  t.charges = nCharges
                  t.Chargestax = nChargeTax
                  t.Payments = nPayments
                  t.change_end(.t.)
                  t.fetch_next()

end while
                  t.Recalc_CalcFields()

t2.close()
                  t1.close()
                  t.close()

Anyway,

Thanks for the help Tom
                  Mike Thomson

Comment

Exactly.

-- tom

ps. you'd need to comment out the lines which drop the two queries that are no longer being used in each loop.

Comment

Working...
                    X