Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Are there no more bugs in V6 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there no more bugs in V6 ?

I am curious to know if V6 will continue to be patched?
    In July there were 4 patches in the space of 11 days (july 1 -11). Since then there have been no official patches. I assume due to more concentration on V7.

I personally think that V6 and V7 should have been merged or integrated as the one version or a V6.Something. From an outsider looking in, I think there has not been enough "overall" major developments to warrant a full version edition.

I also beleive that rather than bundle the entire Alpha Application Development Software under the one umbrella, I would have preferred to see it branch off with different "Editions" with support, patches and updates accordingly. For example "Desktop V6", "Web Edition V6, Client/Server V6"
    This does not mean you have to bring out new versions of each edition at the same time. You could have "D V6", "WE V9" and "C/S V7.5". By keeping the development/application platforms seperate, developers can choose what is best for their needs by concentrating on their immediate area without being sidetracked into thinking a new version is due for release. This may not entirely benefit them.

Under this scenario you would also bring out a developers edition and Runtime / Server Edition for each version of Desktop/Web/Client-Server Edition. You would market the Developers edition to Developers/Progarmmers (of course) at an extremely competitive bargain price (if not free - other companies are doing it), however this edition can only operate in Localhost / single computer mode - This could introduce and create a "mass" developers community. Then you market the Runtime / Server Editions to organisations and business minded developers wanting to utilise the skills of the "mass" developers. The R / S Editions should be at a premium (but not overrated) price. For example Web Server Edition maybe priced at $3000. There would be plenty of "Web-hosting" companies prepared to pay $3000 if they knew there were millions of developers needing a place to "host" their applications.

I think I have gone off topic, so I better stop and revist the topic.

Are there no more bugs in V6 ??

RE: Are there no more bugs in V6 ?

Yes, there are bugs (or problems, as the case may be), some of which I was told would be addressed in a patch that has not yet appeared. I certainly hope this is true.

Ray

Comment

The only bug free program is vaporware. If you search the forum since the last patch, you will see a number of posts from Alpha about system file updates that were not "official" patches.

Jerry

Comment

My topic was more tongue-in-cheek, Even vaporware has bugs known as "super bugs". Nothing is perfect, if it is the person / company / group / society / etc evaluating the "perfect" thing is not competent enough to give credible evaluation or review.

I was just wondering what Alpha's stance will be as V7 is in beta and I am hoping V6 will still be supported with patches. As you know V5 and below are not.

Comment

Version 7 did not have much to offer the desktop people thats for sure. However, I do not like your idea of having seperate editions for desktop, web and c/s.

I would like to see different runtimes available. I would like to have a runtime edition that did not incorporate everything that the current runtime does. I know they took out the ability to edit/create apps, but the applications I create never give the user access to the control panel or the default menus. The only things I want a user to have access to is what I put in there. If the user is not going to have access to the control panel and any of the default menu items would it not be possible to shrink it even more making it smaller and faster to load or is all of that stuff still needed? Does this make sense or am I rambling ?

Also, instead of having to create a link with all of the parameters as we do now, it would be nice to have the ability to create a small exe that would contain any startup info/build info that was needed to launch the application. This would be a little more professional looking, at least to me, to have an exe file with the name of the app attached to it such as Quotes.exe. Plus it would make it a lot easier when a user calls me and says that have deleted the link, whats the name of the exe they need to double click to start the app.

Just some thoughts,
          Jason

Comment

Well, if not being able to access the control panel at all were envisioned, it should be optional to the developer.

As for a small exe for startup, I agree, though I wonder how that might affect Network Optimize. In any case, if you search the v5 forum (or maybe the v4) I think you'll find that someone posted way to do this by using some other, probably free, program that allowed for all kinds of things. I need to go to bed now or I'd do the search myself.

Ray

Comment

I cracked up when I read the title of your post. For the record, Selwyn said at last May's A5 conference, that once v7 came out, there would be no more patches for v6. Sink or swim!
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Does this make sense or am I rambling ?

It makes great sense! If only...

Also, instead of having to create a link with all of the parameters as we do now, it would be nice to have the ability to create a small exe that would contain any startup info/build info that was needed to launch the application. This would be a little more professional looking, at least to me, to have an exe file with the name of the app attached to it such as Quotes.exe.

Just some thoughts,

Excellent thoughts at that!

I think the latter is very doable, if Alpha has the interest. I know that Alpha was never designed with the idea of creating a compiled exe runtime. But a startup exe that loads a specific app would be a great feature!

Peter
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Jason,

I took the liberty of posting your idea on the Wish List forum.

Peter
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

The existing alternative I mentioned above is Multimedia Builder, This and much more is discussed at:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=49789&thread=49001#MSG49781

It is a shareware program ($45 or $60 if you want an MP3 license). Of course its main purpose is multimedia stuff one might want presented at the start of a program (very fancy splash screens, etc.). But as I remember from my testing (could be mis-remembering!) with this program you can do anything you want with A5 startup parameters, all through an .exe file wit or without any multimedia stuff. As indicated in the discussion, there are probably lots of other alternative as well.

Still, the idea of a .exe option as an A5 feature is a great idea.

Ray

Comment

It would be nice if it were a built-in genie.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Well thanks. I appreciate you also posting that in the wish list forum.

Thanks again
                        Jason

Comment

Thanks Raymond, I will check out that thread.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                          X