Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Moving tables etc from A5V4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Moving tables etc from A5V4.5

Aaron,
    Hopefully this should be the application, it is far from doing much yet.

Comment

Aarron,
      I hope this includes what I am trying to send.

Comment

Aarron,
        I hope this includes what I am trying to send.

Comment

Brian, compress (zip) your attachment. File size must be less than 2 MB.

You must click the final "Continue" button at the end of the file attachment sequence in order to complete the upload.

-- t

Comment

Aaron,
            I tried posting it, but all the files seem to be too big in total for the zip file.
            I tried adding the files one by one, and got the same results as before - no forms from V4.5 want to be accepted by V6.
            I guess I could start rebuilding one of the simpler forms in V6, as it was and see if I have problems; but it is not what I though would happen.
            Thanks for the help.

Brian

Comment

Brian, let's start over.

1) close A5V6
              2) close A5v4.5
              3) create a new folder. This is going to be new 'home' folder for your A5V6 database.
              4) use MyComputer or WindowsExplorer to copy all the files from your A5v4.5 database to the new folder. Hopefully, all your v4.5 database files are in a single folder. If so, continue with step (5). If not, you will need to create a new folder for each folder that contains any of your database files. Copy your files into the new folder(s), one folder at a time. Then continue with (5).
              5) Open A5V6
              6) Choose File, then Open Database
              7) Browse to the "New" folder you created in step 4 above.
              8) OPen the database
              9) Choose Tables/Sets tab
              10) Right click white space; choose ADD tables / Sets
              11) Add all the tables and sets to the database

You will be able to function just fine from this point UNLESS you split your original files among several folders. More work will be required then, so let us know.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                Thanks for the advice, I'll do that and advise.

Brian

Comment

Tom,
                  Thanks for the help.
                  I followed your instructions. Not knowing if it made any difference, and not wanting to err, I copied file by file into the new folder.
                  From Windows Explorer I have all the old files in the new folder from V4.5 in the same order.
                  When I did step 10, I ended up with two of each table in the database. I dropped each of the duplicate tables, to leave only one of each table.
                  At this time I got a message :- "notice - One or more of the tables and sets that you have selected to add to the Database is not located in the same folder as the database (ie the adb file) "
                  The table/sets shows all the tables and sets I expect. The browse tab shows all the browses I expect.
                  The form tab shows no forms at all, which was the original problem.

I am thinking now that maybe the best way forward is to forget the application, keep the data tables, and work up a better application from scratch in V6. I saw something in the tutorial for finding clients, which is certainly better than what I had before, and it might be better to follow what works and is good.
                  From the windows explorer I have all the tables from V4.5 in the new folder. Which of those should I keep to retain the data, and which should I drop to avoid mess and complications in the future ? That would be very useful info if you can tell me, or I could start a seperate thread if you would prefer.

Thanks for your time and help,

Brian Dennis.

Comment

Brian,

The message you received indicates that in your original database you put the database files in one folder and the tables in another. For most of us this is not a good idea. To avoid problems like this simply keep everything, and I mean everything, in a single folder. Do not even use subfolders.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                      I think I get that. How do you suggest that I prevent that situation happening in V6. As far I can see, all the tables and database files are in one folder, but I guess they are not. At this stage I want to get things correct, even if it means losing the app.

Brian.

Comment

Brian, something is clearly wrong. Please email me your database. If it is too big to email, I can give you an ftp site to put the data.
                        Aaron Brown
                        Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Aaron,
                          It seems that the database is too big to zip and attach, as I have tried. How would I send it to an ftp site ? Pls consider that my computer knowledge is minimal, or less.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I am going to start again from scatch. I now have all the tables, and sets made from only those tables in one folder in Ver6. There is nothing else in that folder that I can find.

When I highlight it using the list from "recent databases" on the main A5 it is labled as "C.\dataV6.adb (which is what I labled it)
                            If I now now continue to make forms, scripts, etc in that database: will I be proceeding correctly ?

Thanks for your help,

Brian.

Comment

There is *NO REASON* to redo your application in v6. Something is *wrong* if you cannot see your forms. Either you have not correctly copied your data (most likely) or there is a bug that needs addressing.

Let's start over....

Please open the database in v4.5. Go to the Tables/Sets tab on the control panel. Right click some blank space, choose View and Details so you are displaying in detail mode. Please post a screenshot of that screen.

Now go into V6 and do the exact same thing with your copied database and post that. My guess is that you will see that your tables are greyed out in V6.

It concerns me that your adb file is in the root of your C:. My guess is that you are either opening the wrong version from the wrong folder, or that you have your tables in a subfolder that you are not copying.
                              Aaron Brown
                              Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Brian,

Choose the Tables/Sets tab of the Control Panel.

Right click in white space. Choose View. Choose details.

Study the Full Name column to verify the folder and path statement for each table or set. If they're all in the same folder as your ADB file, then you're good to go.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                                X