Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Security Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Question?

Hi All,

When security is set up it is posible to make use of the Windows login network user name.

Having got the user name how do you get to use the real name on forms and documents?

RegardsKeith HubertAlpha Guild MemberLondon.KHDB Management Systems
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

RE: Security Question?

Keith,

I am not aware of a function that would get that. If it is possible it might be worth putting on the wish list if there isn't a function I am not aware of.

Of course with API_getusers() you can get all the user names for a domain. You could then build a table with their real names and use it. Not good though if network users are added and dropped all the time.

Ray

Comment

api_getusername() will get the name of the currently logged on Windows user.

Additionally, using A5's built in Security, you can set your database to trust Windows logons. This is on the first page (Master Password) when you configure security, down at the bottom, "Use Windows Logon"
      Aaron Brown
      Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Aaron,

Thanks for reply.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Aaron,

I assumed Keith was after the "Full Name" from a Windows domain, not just the user name. On most NT based Network domains I deal with the user name follows an administrator set common pattern, like "rlyons" whereas the so-called full name is entered as "Ray Lyons." The latter is what you might want to use in a report. Is there a way to get at this full name from the domain?

Ray

Comment

In V7, you can do the following:

?win_accounts().get("ALPHASOFTWARE\Lenny").FullName
            = "Lenny Forziati"

Actually, in the current beta release, win_accounts does not return the FullName property, but it will in the next release.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny,

Thanks for your answer to Raymond.

Based on that reply, am I correct to assume it is not possible to get this result in the current V6?

Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

There is no built-in function in V6. If you're feeling adventerous you might be able to use some Windows DLL calls to resolve this info.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Lenny,

Thanks for reply.

At this time my skills do not extend to working with Windows DLL calls, do you know of one of our fellow Alpha users who might be able to help in this department?

Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I suspect that if it is going to be in V7 that it would be pretty easy to throw it in a v6 patch. No?

Ray

Comment

Raymond,

If it were to be a new feature in V7 then there would be no point of putting it in V6 as a patch.

It just seems odd at this point in time that V6 can read the user name but not the real name that would be in the system anyway.

Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

"...If it were to be a new feature in V7 then there would be no point of putting it in V6 as a patch."

Well, there has to be at least one more v6 patch, or so I have been told (i.e., such and such "will be in the next patch"). So why not also add this seemingly very small thing?

Moreover, I suspect that a lot v6 users who have little or no interest in web apps are not going to upgrade to v7. At least I see nothing so far that would make me do it, except just to keep up with the latest product, which is not a very good reason. Certainly with what I have seen so far, none of my clients that have to buy or help pay for their upgrade will be doing it. There were almost not enough reasons to upgrade to v6 from v5 unless you wanted web stuff. But don't get me really going on this subject!

Ray

Comment

So since you aren't interested in the web stuff, all the non-web stuff in V7 should be put into V6 as a patch so you don't have to upgrade?

The "seemingly very small thing", a.k.a. win_accounts(), is all new code and has nothing at all in common with api_getusername(). While there are a lot of new features for Web applications in V7, there are also many that are not specifically web related and this is one such example.

Take a look at Top New Features in Version 7. If there isn't enough there to justify purchasing an upgrade in your eyes, by all means stick with V6 which is already a great product. As I mentioned above, it should be possible to recreate this functionality in V6 with calls to the appropriate Windows DLL(s). While the high-level function isn't in V6, the core functionality is there to meet your need.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

"So since you aren't interested in the web stuff, all the non-web stuff in V7 should be put into V6 as a patch so you don't have to upgrade?"

Lenny, I did not say the above. If it is more than a "small thing" then perhaps my suggestion was off base. Obviously it would be absurd to suggest that every new non-web v7 feature ought to be in a v6 patch. Still, if it is true that some of the desktop features that many of us have been looking forward to for years (not to mention them almost being promised) are not going to be in v7, then I predict that a whole of people will not be paying for the upgrade. Two biggies would be a new browse and a true client/server option, but there others as well. I personally will be upgrading, by the way, but if the cost is about the same as it was from v5 to v6, I can tell you for certain that none of my clients will upgrade unless there is something big like browses that work better. I see this as a problem for Alpha, but given the limited resources I understand why from a desktop standpoint v7 is not going to be a major upgrade.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                            X