Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

scrambled field data in table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, I have copied over the tables that have been a recent problem and added some test info to them. The problem started a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that some of the transformations and masks were scrambled. After correcting the scrambled data, the next time that I went into the browse or form mode, the company name data was in the company ID field.

The browses/forms in the test database are working okay and I do not know how to replicate the problem.

One other abnormality that I have noticed in one of the last rev's is that when I go to specify the lookup parameters in the drop down box, the linking field always goes blank after entering an item. If I revisit the field, the selection will reappear.

I am not sure if you will receive all of the required files as I could only zip up tables and am not sure what happens to the basic ? stuff .alb, .alm files.

Comment

Larry, I took a look. Will not be able to help you until you can replicate the problem.

In field rules for the People table it's odd that your table lookup field rule for the Company_Id field fills both the Company_id and Person_id fields in the People table with the same Company_id field value selected by the user. It's hard for me to imagine an app where you'd want a person's id to be the same as his or her company id. Otherwise I didn't see anything particularly unsual.

-- tom

Comment

Question for Larry:

Larry:
        You stated that the problem started a couple of weeks ago.

Did you by chance insert some new fields into the table.
        Did you insert the between existing fields or at the end.

Inserting between existing fields can mess up the masks, lookups and calculated fields.

ALWAYS insert new fields at the end of a table.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Charlie, you may be on to something. I noticed that some of his fieldnames are oddly truncated. Suggesting maybe that the dictionary files holding longer fieldnames became corrupted or separated from the DBF somehow. Difficulty restructuring the table might account for it, too.

-- tom

Comment

Tom it fills the person id so as to give me a headstart on completing the person id. If you look at the sample data, the person id has 4 more characters that get filled in to customize it. During an earlier version of A5, when you entered the person id field you could set the default location for the cursor to the end of the filled text. Nice feature which seems to have disappeared about a half a year ago.

Comment

Charlie, I do not recall having edited the tables recently. Thanks for the tip on inserting as I do tend to add things as I see a requirement.

Larry

Comment

Tom, I believe that the fieldnames are truncated as at one time there was a lot of discussion on keeping fieldnames under 10 characters so as to eliminate use of the dictionary files.

Larry

Comment

During an earlier version of A5, when you entered the person id field you could set the default location for the cursor to the end of the filled text. Nice feature which seems to have disappeared about a half a year ago.
                  Larry, I think this is still available. Choose Data Entry tab while defining a field rule for the Person_id field, then scroll to the bottom. You'll find an option for positioning the cursor there.

-- tom

Comment

Tom it fills the person id so as to give me a headstart on completing the person id. If you look at the sample data, the person id has 4 more characters that get filled in to customize it.
                    Larry, yes, I saw that. It just seemed unusual to me. I probably would have chosen a default field value approach, but it's probably six of one a half dozen of the other.

-- tom

Comment

Tom:

Tom:
                      If you open a DBF file from a directory that does not contain the DDD,DDM,DDX files, Alpha will truncate the field names.

Look at the bottom of this thread.-
                      Related links.
                      Larry posted the same question in 2002 for version 4.5
                      when he inserted fields into a table.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Tom, I knew that the choices were there however they no longer did what I was expecting. I just went in and tried them again and have found one that positions the cursor to the end of the entered text so either I was confused at what I was doing previously or the function has been corrected in one of the revs.
                        Thanks for pointing the item out. I am happier today to have that function back which saves me a keyboard entry.

Larry

Comment

Re: scrambled field data in table

Well it has happened again, 11 years later, a bit different than before as in this event, the field sizes changed and the data was dumped. Different table than before
                          Had to restore the data from Friday the 13th back up.

Forgot I had even started this thread.

Larry
                          Attached Files

Comment

I only read the first few threads but your error pointed to a field rule lookup. If when you define the lookup you put a different field in the first field order, you will see that field displayed instead of the linked field, even though the link is populated as you mapped it - it won't display. Check the field rule and see if that is the case.

This can be useful when using primary and natural keys and you want to hide the primary and display the natural. I'm not sure when this change was introduced, perhaps v8 or 9?
                            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin, the problem that I had in the past has not come back to haunt me so I must have fixed something or it was a one of occurrence.
                              The current scramble which changed field sizes is bizarre. The restore seems to have resolved the problem for now

Thanks
                              Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X