Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

text parsing in a field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

text parsing in a field

Hi,
    I wonder if someone can help me with a text parsing problem.

I have a form for a kind of an address book and I am looking for a quick method to input data into the fields.

In this form I have a memo field where I input the full details which I copy from an email msg and then I paste into this memo field.
    Now from the memo field, which contains all the necessary data I have to select each item of interest (name, phone, fax, mobile, email) and then copy and paste them into the appropriate fields.
    I would like, if possible, to parse the text from this memo field and extract at least the email addresses automatically and input them into the EMAIL field.
    Usually there are at least 2 email addresses so the script
    has to find them and put them in the fields EMAIL1 and EMAIL2. (I have provided 5 email fields. just in case)
    I think this can be done with regular expressions.

Also it would be great if the script can parse also the telephone numbers and detect the country prefix and then fill in the appropriate COUNTRY field. I have in the database a COUNTRY_PREFIX field so the script can check the phone number prefix against the data from this field.
    I can give you some sample data to better understand the case

------

Phone: +33 (1) 47 35 91 98
    Fax: +33 (1) 47 35 92 96
    email: [email protected]

-----

TEL: +972 - 9 - 8928300 FAX: + 972 - 9 - 8883643
    MBL: +972 507 456741
    EMail: [email protected]

------

Thanks a lot for your attention!
    Regards,
    Corneliu

RE: text parsing in a field

To make sure I understand your input structure I need to ask some questions.

Will phone numbers always have "Phone: " before them?
    Phone: +33 (1) 47 35 91 98

Will fax numbers always have "Fax: " before them?
    Fax: +33 (1) 47 35 92 96

Like wise for email?
    email: [email protected]

A sample of your table would be helpful.

The COUNTRY field does not need to be filled in by the same mechanism that parses the phone numbers. You can design a lookup field rule that fills in the country field when the prefix field is populated. To do this you need a table of prefixes and corresponding country names.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks your prompt reply.

Unfortunatelly, I receive many emails from customers all over the world and their messages are not standardized at all.
      Sometimes the numbers are precedeed with a prefix, sometimes not and the prefixes are not always the same.
      I will give you some examples below

In general you can assume that the phone numbers have in front of them one of the foll prefixes (tel,phone,fax,mob)

Even if the computer can not guess all of them, it is still a big improvement if it can still guess most of them.
      I can later correct them manually, if necessary.

TEL. +380487177757 FAX. +380487775858
      Pers. e-mail: [email protected] Mob: +380976257227

-----

Tel: +9714 277 2633
      Fax: +9714 277 2644
      Email: [email protected]
      Mob: +97150 776 4956 - SAMI

-----

MOB.002012 7067758 / FAX 00203 4207721

------

PHONE/FAX 55377230/55327798
      MAIL [email protected]

-----

TEL: 886-2-27217731 (RESP) / 27772771 (DIR
      FAX: 886-2-27117798/27117799
      MOBILE: 886-935773324
      E.MAIL: [email protected]

-----

I think parsing of email addresses is much simpler so i can begin with parsing of email addresses from the message and entering them in the appropriate fields.

Regards
      Corneliu

Comment

I think you are correct. It would be very tedious to try and parse out phone numbers when the expected formats are not known.

In parsing for email addresses, all we need to do is find a string of characters containing the "@" unless there is some other possibility I am not aware of.

Does the possibility exist that there will be more than one email address in the memo field? If there is do you want the first or last to be stored in the email address field?
        There can be only one.

Comment

yes, it is possible to have 1 up to 3 emails in a message.
          but I have 5 email fields in my database EMAIL1, EMAIL2, ETC...

Comment

yes, it is possible to have 1 up to 3 emails in a message.
            but I have 5 email fields in my database EMAIL1, EMAIL2, ETC...

I would preffer to parse the first email encountered, then to check for other possible emails and store them in the next fields EMAIL2, EMAIL3....

I would like the parsing process to start when I paste the
            selected message in the memo field...

Regards,
            Corneliu

Comment

"I would like the parsing process to start when I paste the
              selected message in the memo field... " - I am not aware of ane events that fire when data entry is pasted into a form field as the change does not take place until the field is exited. This sample parses the memo field when it is exited.

I am a attaching a sample of something like I think you want. If you do not have a table named "test" in your database you can add my table to your database and examine the form "memtest". The programming is behind the onchange event of the "mem" field on the form.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you so much for your efforts. You are very close to the solution. I have tested with some real data and i noticed that it works when there are only email addresses in the selection. When the email is preceded by a phone number or other text it does not recognize the email address. After deleting the text in front of the email address it works again.
                I will give you some samples that do not work in the present configuration, maybe you can work out a solution.
                Anyway the program is very close to what I want it to be. Congratulations!

-----

phones: +90 216 4877234 - 3897745
                fax: +90 216 4777241
                e-mail : [email protected]
                [email protected]
                [email protected]

in the above example only the first email is recognized but it is trasferred in the 3-rd place (email3), the first 2 places remain empty.
                After deleting the first line with phones, 2 emails are recognized but the first email is still empty.
                After deleting of the line with fax, all 3 email are recognized....

-------

UNIVERSAL RING S.A.
                Fax (562) 6397768
                Tel (562) 6397733
                Email [email protected]
                Web http://www.unimart.cl

------

in the above example, nothing is recognized at first.
                after deleting the first line, the email is transferred to 3-rd place.
                after deleting line 2 (with fax), the email is transferred to 2-nd place
                and after deleting the line with phones, the email is transferred at its place (email1)
                I think the routine reserves places for the lines above the email address.

Maybe you find a solution to correct the situation.
                Also maybe you can add the possibility to add also the web site address.

Thanks a lot for your efforts so far.

Regards,
                Corneliu

Comment

Corneliu,

Here is a variation on Stan's neat example. Notice that instead of going through loops to search for the "@" of email addresses or "http:" for web addresses, I utilized the filter_string() function. This function retrieves all lines of a crlf-delimited list which contain a certain substring.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

If you promise not to tell anyone that I really don't know what I'm doing but eventually come across a solution, you can try the attached script. It replaces the onchange event script for the field previously mentioned.

I did this with version 5 methods so it would be backward compatible. There are easier methods.... but this works.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi,

I have cheched hundred of messages and the most used prefixes for phone, fax and mobiles are as follows:

TEL. or PH: or PHN: or Tel : or Phone : or Tel: or T: or Ph. or PHONES.: or Telf. or PHN : or Direct: or LINE: or
                      TEL : or Direct : or Telefon: or TEL.: or TELP: or Tel)

FAX: or Fax : or F: or Fx. or FAX....: or FAX :
                      or Telefax: or fax. or FX: or FAX.: or Fax)

MOB: or CELL: or Gsm or MOBIL : or Mobile : or MB: or HP:
                      or Mob)

so for most purposes we can asume that if one line contains any of the above prefixes, the number that follows is phone, fax or mobile number.

Also you can asume that the first line from the selected text always contain the company name (COMPANY field)

In this way, it should be possible to parse the following fields:

COMPANY (always the first line of the text)
                      PHONE
                      FAX
                      MOBILE
                      EMAIL1
                      EMAIL2
                      EMAIL3
                      WEB_SITE

I am sure that you are able to implement it as you are already very close.

Thanks a lot for your efforts which are highly appreciated here.

Regards,
                      Corneliu

Comment

Cool, never thought of that approach Steve.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Steve

thanks a lot for your interest.
                          I have tested your program with some real life data and it works but at first a debugging windows shows up memtest : mem_on change and the pointer indicates: dim emails as C

after closing this debugging windows, I can see the email at its place

pls see also my earlier comment regarding the other fields.
                          COMPANY, PHONE, FAX, MOBILE

Thanks a lot for your efforts,

regards,
                          Corneliu

Comment

'Sorry. I left the debug()'s in uncommented. Here it is again.

As for the other items to search for, you need to be careful to make sure that these substrings have the colon (or a space & colon) to follow them. Why? Because they may be found within the email & web adresses themselves.

For instance, if the person to contact is at ExxonMobile Oil, his/her email address may be "[email protected]". If you simply search for "mobile" you will get this email address which is not what you want.

Steve

Comment

yes it works but i noticed that if the email has some blank spaces in front of it then it is not parsed like in the foll example

E-MAIL: [email protected]
                              [email protected]
                              Yh ID: [email protected]

the second email is not parsed until I delete the spaces before it

regards,
                              Corneliu

Comment

Working...
                              X