Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

LastName, Firstname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: LastName, Firstname

An alternative:

fullname="Charles S Steve T Cone, Jr."
    ?If(right(fullname,3)="Jr.".or.right(fullname,3)="Sr.",word(fullname,-2)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-2)+" "+right(fullname,3), word(fullname,-1)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-1))
    = "Cone Charles S Steve T Jr."

Gabe

Comment

Yes,

there are other suffixes which commonly appear:

II
      III
      PhD
      Md
      Dvm
      DDs
      OD
      JD

etc.

-- tom

Comment

Tom:

fullname="Gabe Charles S Steve T Cone, III"
        ?If(right(fullname,3)="Jr.".or.right(fullname,3)="Sr.".or.right(fullname,1)="I".or.right(fullname,1)="X",word(fullname,-2)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-2)+" "+right(fullname,3), word(fullname,-1)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-1))
        = "Cone Gabe Charles S Steve T III"

MD, DO, PHd etc are titles not names
        Gabe

Comment

Yes PhD is a title but I know lots of them who insist on using them. I even see things like Dr. Joseph K. Jones, MM. PhD.

It's particularly rampant in education

Jim

Comment

Blah Blah Blah, CPA ?
            There can be only one.

Comment

James/Stan:
              I am sure they love to use their titles, but I doubt seriously that Charles has those in the first name or last name fields.

I could modify the expression to accommodate for that, but that would be an exercise in futility.

Gabe

Comment

Exactly.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Stan:
                  What I meant is, it could be done to allow for titles, but it would have no application as far as Charles is concerned, or any one else for that matter and as such, it's a waste of time to make these modification.

I can't see that anyone would insert titles in a field's name, be it first, middle or last names and if they do, the first thing they need to do, is separate the names from the title. Charles question had nothing to do with titles. That would be a different thread.
                  Gabe

Comment

Gabe,

in a perfect world I'd agree. Your point about "titles" not being part of a name is valid. My experience tells me however that in any given list of 1,000 names you're going to have folks who will include the title in their "official" name, and data entry people who will type it in rather than make a judgment call and risk alienating a customer, prospect, member, or donor. My point was not to criticize your expression, but to illustrate that "names" come in other shapes and sizes (so to speak).

I believe complex nested expressions can be a big help as your example illustrates. Coupled with careful checking of the resulting output a high percentage of correctly processed names is probable. Getting 100% correct without visual inspection is unlikely. -- tom

Comment

Tom:
                      In THIS thread, I am responding to Charles question about reversing the order of names and NOT to a HYPOTHETICAL question about names with titles tagged to them.

If you wish to ask the question (how to untangle a name that has titles in it, a very hypothetical situation), I will take a crack at it, but that was not the question and tackling such question, is not only deviating from the orginal question, but most likely would have no applicability. I have dealt with many "idiotic" situations, but have not seen somebody enter in the last name field, Smith CPA for instance. Give those secretaries some credit!

If anyone out there has this problem, please:
                      a-Fire your secretary or have him/her commited, and
                      b-Start a new thread

Gabe

Comment

Ok. I won't bother you again. Sorry.

-- tom

Comment

Gabe,

Many thanks on this expression.

Should we put it into a UDF or just leave it as it is?

Either way, I'll be happy to transfer this to the Code Archive.

You did a great job - one which I couldn't figure out except by the old style method forom my DBase days and this has helped me immensely in my app.

Charlie

Comment

Charles:
                            Glad it helped. You could leave it the way it is, or you could make a UDF out of it if you wish, only for aesthetic purposes.
                            Gabe

Comment

There was one glitch in that expression, evidently no one noticed it. I have made the necessary correction:

If(lastword(fullname)="Jr.".or.lastword(fullname)="Sr.".or.lastword(fullname)="II".or.lastword(fullname)="III".or.lastword(fullname)="IX".or.lastword(fullname)="V",word(fullname,-2)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-2)+" "+right(fullname,3), word(fullname,-1)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-1))

I am sure you could see it now!

Gabe

Comment

I will post the UDF called "NameConvert" to the Code Archive.

Gabe, I only added one small modification which others might chose to replace or ignore. I simply placed a comma after the lastname so that Charles H. Hoens III becomes Hoens, Charles H. III

Once again many thanks. This is what the Alpha Community is all about.

'Date Created: 06-Aug-2005 09:55:13 PM
                                'Last Updated: 06-Aug-2005 09:55:13 PM
                                'Created By : g gabriel "With the greatest of thanks!!!"
                                'Updated By : Charles Hoens
                                FUNCTION NameConvert AS C (Fullname AS C)
                                nameconvert=""
                                dim jac as c
                                jac=If(lastword(fullname)="Jr.".or.lastword(fullname)="Sr.".or.lastword(fullname)="II".or.lastword(fullname)="III".or.lastword(fullname)="IX".or.lastword(fullname)="V",word(fullname,-2)+", "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-2)+" "+right(fullname,3), word(fullname,-1)+" "+word(fullname,1," ",w_count(fullname)-1))

nameconvert=jac
                                END FUNCTION

Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                X