Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Manufacturing programs/er needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manufacturing programs/er needed.

I just purchased A5 and am trying to find a manufacturing program that fits my manufacturing needs. OR Find a programmer who can make it happen for my company, quickly and inexpensively. Job shop. New York City.

RE: Manufacturing programs/er needed.

I'm your man. I can write it...and I promise to get it right if it takes every nickle your company has.

Comment

If you are looking for a web-based job tracking system, I wrote one on A5. Can you be more specific on what you need.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Dan

There are any number of expert developers who can provide you with a solution. However, I think you will find that quickly and inexpensively may not always produce the results you expect. To meet those criteria, certain compromises must be expected. Be sure you have a clear vision of what you need and expect first, and then work with a few developers to get a good handle on estimated costs and timetables. Projects that are not well defined have a history of expanding in complexity, time and cost.

I once say a great poster posted in the lobby of a small business. It is listed below.

TO OUR CUSTOMERS:

As with all businesses, our customers want their work done good, fast, and cheap. However, through careful research, and years of experieince, we have determined it is only possible to give the customer any two of the above. Kindly select the combination that best suits you needs.

Good and Fast, but not Cheap
        Fast and Cheap, but not Good
        Cheap and Good, but not Fast

Jerry

Comment

Amen Jerry.

Dan, don't take offense. The following is not directed at anyone in particular. It's just my opinion for general info and this seemed like a good place to get on my soapbox.

For the benefit of anyone asking for assistance from a professional developer (i.e., anybody who knows enough to get your job done), read Jerry's "pick any two" list carefully. In fact, I'd say, "If you want good (and most people seem to want excellent), don't expect fast or cheap."

Most non-developers and inexperienced developers have no idea (a) that "something simple" is seldom really simple (see note at end), (b) how much damage can be done by users when field rules are inadequate and other "safeguards/protections" are left out, (c) how much more efficient and accurate data input can be when features are added to automate and control the input wherever possible, and (d) how much time (spelled $$$) it takes to build those features in. I could build a down-and-dirty application for myself to use in X hours but it would probably take 3-5X hours to make it something I could ask another worker to use - unless, of course, that worker was a mind reader and knew exactly how the data should be entered, spelled, sequenced, etc. Then, if I wanted to let temporary workers use it, it might take twice as long again - it's amazing what temp help (i.e., untrained help) can mess up.

Setting up the basic tables, sets, and uncontrolled input forms is fast, it's all the "litte tweaks" to make things efficient and reduce errors that take time. Fixing a problem in an invoicing section of one of my apps recently took two full days. Once the solution was found, about 2 minutes was spent typing the solution, 10 minutes to review the scripts to make sure all debugging messages, etc. were removed, 15 minutes was spent restoring the default data and rebuilding the installation routine then uploading it, 5 minutes was spent writing a quick note to the customers telling them what was done and where to download it; the rest of the time was spent working out the logic and running tests to first find then fix the problem. Note that about 1/2 hour was spent just getting the solution to the customers AFTER the problem was solved. This was a generic app so it went to multiple customers but the amount of time to 'distribute' the solution is usually at least 15 minutes even for custom apps. And, no, I didn't get paid for the any of the time on this one. ($80/hr - yeah, right.)

From my experience, quoting the job without accounting for those "additional but necessary" features doesn't work. When something goes wrong because of bad data input the customer assumes you didn't program it correctly. Of course, that means they think you should fix it for free. (Hmmm, let's think about this. If I had programmed that originally it would have taken an extra 2 hours and now it will take me 3 because I have to figure out again how that part of the routine worked but you want it for free!? And, no, I do not have a photographic memory and do not remember every detail of the 132 scripts I wrote for you 6 months ago before I worked on the last 2 major applications and did maintenance on 12 others. In fact, I don't recall any part of it right now - that's why I need extra time now to review what I did.)

Here's what happened on the last two jobs I quoted....

The customer said he expected to pay XX dollars. I said to expect at least double that, more likely three times, and budget for four times. And the down-payment would be about equal to the original estimate. I'm working on one of the jobs - the other person decided it wasn't worth my price.

I've accepted too many jobs in the past for people who just wanted "something simple." (Any budding developer who hears that should interpret it as meaning, "I want something cheap and have no idea how complex it really will be." You can work the rest of the interpretation out for yourself.) Those "simple" jobs are doing their best to break me. Those customers will have a three choices this year - (1) they can pay me more money, (2) they can pay someone else more money (this includes doing it themselves because their time is also worth money) because I will have to go out of business if I can't make enough to live on, (3) they can live with what they have. Last year, I could have almost made as much working at McDonald's.

Developers are actually companies that are in business to make money (at least a decent salary) just as their customers are in business to make money. Developers also have legal, accounting, office, and equipment expenses just as their customers do. My company charges $80/hr and customers seem to think it's too high while other developers and my accountant tell me I should be charging at least $100/hr. (No, $80/hr does not translate to $160,000/yr. as one customer had assumed. Remember those expenses? And don't forget training time, marketing time, shopping time for office supplies and equipment, time with the lawyer/accountant, time spent on quotes, etc., etc. Even time on this message board - I answer a lot of questions here but I also learn a lot here (remember 'training time'). You are hiring a business; not just paying a salary. If you want to pay me a salary, hire me - but it will cost you more in the long run than hiring my business.)

Remember the story about the guy that was hired to fix a machine that nobody else could seem to fix and he charged $50,000 to put an 'X' on the machine and then hit it with a hammer? When questioned about the bill he said the charge was for knowing where to hit the machine. The same is true with database development. You aren't paying the developer to type code, you're paying the developer to know what code to type. This takes years of experience to get good at and nobody ever learns it all. Just like many other things - "doing it" is the easy part; figuring out "what to do" is the hard part.

Another thought for those who just want something simple or cheap. (And, I've heard similar comments on this from other developers.) Some of my best customers are those who started with someone who was cheap - or tried to do it themselves with little or no experience. Once they found out what the results were like, they also started to understand the value of a well designed application. What was really strange was that, in the long run, they didn't pay me much more to rebuild the app from scratch than they paid the original guy who did a poor job. In one case they actually paid me far less - and I made decent money on the job! (But they did end up paying double - once for a poor app and once for a good app.)

A corollary to the above: If you are only going to use it yourself and you want simple and cheap, go for it. If you want other people (usually employees) to use it also, forget simple and cheap - go for quality because it will be cheaper in the long run.

OK, it's way past time for me to get back to work.

Cal Locklin
          www.aimsdc.net

*Re: "something simple"
          It's been my experience that most people who want something done in a database get the "simple" and "hard" parts completely reversed. There have been many times when a customer was afraid to ask for something because it was perceived as difficult when it was actually a no-brainer that would take 30 seconds. Unfortunately, the reverse is also true and I've had a number of 'discussions' about the cost of something that the customer perceived as being simple but it actually took (or would take) many hours to complete.

Comment

Let me reiterate - nobody should take offense at any of these comments from the developers.

Instead, take the advice to heart and then think carefully about what you need and what a quality database would be worth to your company. I usually figure that an app should pay for itself in 12-18 months or it may not be worth building. Anything after that is gravy for you. If by some chance it will pay for itself in 3 months, be nice to the developer and give 'em a big bonus - after all, you will be getting your original cost back 4 times every year - after year, after year, after year. Just imagine the good will that a nice bonus would create - and the odds that you will need more work done in the future are probably about 1000:1.

Cal Locklin
            www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Yes, I am looking to track the progress of jobs thru our mfg process. A job can have mutiple starts .... each start can have mutiple items ... each item can be produced on multiple days ... Also, there is a shipping process. Items of the same job are packaged on skids, multiple items per skid. Multiple skids can go on a truck.

Comment

Even though everything you said is true, human nature being what it is, people still think they can get something for nothing. They never give up.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

My experience is that if you want it done so it works the way you want it to work, then you are the best one to do the job. It might take a while to learn the program, and even then you won't be Jerry or Cal (that begs the question of whether anyone wants to be them), but Alpha gives you the tools to do whatever you can imagine, relatively simply. I emphasize the relatively. If you have the money hire someone go for it. If funds are limited no one will give you everything you want for what $ you have but you.

Just my 2 cents.

Russ

Comment

Gee Russ, I am not sure how to take that. But I think my wife would agree that one of me is enough trouble.

Jerry

Comment

Although my programming career also bears out the points made above, I'm pretty sure this conversation does not do anything to assist our new A5 user. Probably half of his customers come in to his Job Shop and say the same thing, "I want it quick and inexpensive". Its an empty statement that only means I'm not too sure about what you guys do in there, and I feel a bit vunerable about it. Alpha's website says "made easy", "no programming" and "empowers anyone..." so why wouldn't a new user believe someone could help them out inexpensively. I've seen homegrown applications where the design would make a professional developer ill. But the owner loves it and is is proud of their work and, poorly designed and all, it satisfies their needs.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Good grief !!! I feel sorry for the unjustifiable beating Dan Freda the author of this thread has taken !!

Guys....Take it easy...remeber Einstein and the theory of relativity?.... Every thing is relative !! The man just said "quickly and inexpensively"...

What does that mean?

As I mentioned on other occasions, I never made a dime nor intend to make any off development. But you guys who make living off development, you need a small lesson in marketing: don't rebuff and don't talk down your potential clients: he might be thinking a million dollar is "inexpensive" !! who knows?! ..The man owns a manufacturing company for heaven's sake (or does he?) ! Plus he lives in New York, where you could buy a fake Rolex for a grand or a slice of pizza for five bucks! Obviousely he's got some money to throw away: He just bought alpha and now he wants someone else to do the programming !! maybe you should focus on the geeky stuff and leave marketing to the charming cute girl in the front desk with the $50,000 silicon upgrade!

So, Dan..speaking off bedniz, let's talk turkey! throw in some numbers ! What is inexpensive to you? and what is quick? if you could swing a mil, I'll throw my hat in the ring !

On a serious note, you overlooked an important item: what might seem like a mountain to someone is simply a molehill to an expert who has been down that road many times over..Many of the features to incorporate in such program, you have already incorporated in others and what might take a newbie a month to do, takes an expert few key strokes..
                        I remember many years ago when I went to replace the breaks on my car, one mechanic spent all morning trying to fit it in, and when he resorted to a hammer that was my indication to take the car to someone else. The other mechanic, quite familliar with the car make, put it together in a blink of an eye. As it turned out, there was a certain peice that had to be fitted in in a certain angle, which he knew, and that was all it took. That does not mean you pay him less because it took him less time. True, it took him less time to do it because it took him a long time to learn how to do it!
                        And on that note, I am willing to drop my price to a meager half a mil...

Gabe

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have been surprised by the "eruption" of comments.

Comment

Dan,

Don't take anything said here personally. We sometimes get passionate about our feelings.

Best of luck to you!

Peter
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

g gabriel wrote:
                              -------------------------------
                              [...]Guys....Take it easy...remeber Einstein and the theory of relativity?.... Every thing is relative !! [...]

Ehhhh, I last read a book and it stated that Einstein was wrong. The speed of light is slowing down... Is it still Relative?

Marcel
                              Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                              ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Working...
                              X