Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Do Adhoc forms really load 20% quicker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Adhoc forms really load 20% quicker???

Hi

I stumbled across while trying to make some of my forms load faster. The forms in question were initially based on complex sets and taking approx 12-13 seconds to load (using the profile_begin() and profiler_end() commands positioned before and after the form_load() or its equivalent.)

I then went about creating simpler sets and using lookup calculated fields to produce an identical form layout. By doing this I have reduced the form loading to 3.5 seconds on average (the quickest being 3.47).

In these two scenarios the forms were created from the forms tab on the control panel (standard way of doing things so I won't elaborate)

While trying to learn about adhoc browse and possible benefits to whatever (not 100% sure of their relevance - still learning). I came across reference to Adhoc forms. So being the curious type I decided to duplicate the "3.5 sec" form using the Adhoc forms technique to see what the difference was. Without changing any table structures and keeping exactly the same calculated fields and variables on the form, the loading time came down to 2.7 seconds on average the slowest being 2.81. This equates to being approx 20% faster.

I thought this may have just been a chance memormy resource effect, so I went about recreating the more complex "12-13 secs" form using the Adhoc forms technique. To my surprise the adhoc form loaded in 8.5 secs on avg with the slowest being 9.11, fastest being 7.55.
    The best result I achieved with the"12-13 secs" normal form was 11.94 This equates to approx 25-35% quicker.

Before i go about changing the design of my forms using the Adhoc technique. I was wondering if anyone has similar experience with adhoc forms and results with loading times. Are ther any negatives designing using adhoc forms.

I would hate to redesign all my forms and later find out that my experience was just some kind of coincidence.

Also, if it turns out the Adhoc forms do load quicker, is there some kind of logic or reasoning behind this method?

I've just summarised my observations, as this message was getting way too long. So if anyone needs more information as to what I actually did, ask questions as I am all for finding new ways to loading forms quicker.

RE: Do Adhoc forms really load 20% quicker???

This is news to me. Guess maybe my attention wandered. I thought ad hoc browses and forms had to be designed and re-designed each time you wanted to use one. If you have a technique for using this with existing or saved forms, how about posting an example for us?

-- tom

Comment

RE: Do Adhoc forms really load 20% quicker???

Hi Tom,

In the docs I came across reference that you can save your adhoc forms/browses, so its not necessary to design and redesign each time. Its a pretty straight forward technique and probably not necessary for me to post an example. However if you can not follow the steps below or get differing results, I will organise the relevant forms and tables to be posted.

The steps I used to use and save adhoc forms.
      *On Tables tab in Control Panel, right click and select Adhoc browse from menu
      *Dialog box appears, select which table/set your existing form was based on. Choose ONE field (don't think it really matters) and place in selected field. Choose layout type as Form Layout (press icon on bottom). Press OK.
      *This displays the Adhoc form in View mode. Change to design mode.
      * Open Existing NORMAL form and copy all calculated fields and any variables to you Adhoc form.
      * Select all objects on existing form and copy them onto your Adhoc form. Change stylesheet to match normal form (not necessary).
      Note:- When copying conditional objects and their contents do them separately from other obejcts as they tend to lose their positioning when you paste.
      * Once you're happy with the adhoc form and it looks identical to the normal existing form. Select File, Save As from the top menu bar. Save form as any desire name. And that's it in terms of creating Adhoc form that you can reference as normal.

On your script/button that loads the form, both Adhoc and Normal, place the profiler_begin() just before your form_load() (or equivalent) and profiler_end() straight after the form_load().

Viewing the trace window will give you the results (look at how long it took to load the form_load() statement.)

If the above steps are not clear let me know, but to me the whole process was much simpler then typing it out. As mentioned I don't think its necessary for me to post a example, but I can do it if its too difficult to understand.

Matt

Comment

Working...
      X