Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V7 Feature/enhancements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: V7 Feature/enhancements?

You can see the new web features in action here.

The samples above are actually from Data-2-the-Web for MySQL, but A5v7 will have the same component functionality (minus the native MySQL driver used my D2TW)

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Chris, I understand where you are coming from. While I don't use browses much myself because I work primarily on the web features, I do use them somewhat and they frustrate me too. We realize that our customers want a new browse and we are doing what we can to give it to them. I saw the current state of the new browse today and while it still has a way to go, I think it will meet or exceed everyone's expectations.

As for charting before the browse, it comes down to a matter of resources. We are very serious about fixing the browse for customers, but as mentioned above, it is a very large amount of work and not everyone here is qualified to work on it. The addition of the charting was a much simpler project and was done without any work on the part of the folks working on the browse. Charting in no way whatsoever has delayed the compeletion of a new browse.

Marketing is working on a complete list of features that will be available in V7. "Worth the price" is of course quite subjective. Nothing has been finalized so I can't comment specifically on how much it might be sold for, but I think you'll find the pricing of V7 attractive.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Hello Chris,

Just to throw my 2 cents in here. I have no specific knowledge but I was at the conference and spoke with Selwyn and Cian on the browse issue. Going back a year of so, I think they switched direction, from 'just' re-coding a new browse to a paradigm shift that included forms, xdialog, and the browse. I believe they are going to create a UI object that encompasses what we now know as the browse, form, and Xdialog box. I believe this is going to be XML based and we will have both our existing visual tools to build these objects, but we will also be able to drop down a level and actually edit/create at the code level. The richness of the control and events we will have will far surpase what we have now. I think this new object will not have to be tightly bound to a table as is the current case with forms and browses. This would also have the advantage of making Alpha more platform independant.

I too very much want a new browse, but I don't think this is a pie-in-the-sky issue. I think we will see an enhanced product in the not too distant future that incorporates the new UI objects, probably version 8.

Jim

Comment

First, I have never felt "ripped off" with any A5 product I've ever purchased. Many users may recall that with the A5V5 release, we received as many new features subsequent to the purchase as we did with the initial release....all for free.

That said, it goes a little deeper than the mere lack of a new browse. A5V6 abandoned ODBC capabilities. Since practially all my apps are some type of front-end to a Mas90/200 database, A5V6 was out of the question as an upgrade. Most disappointing of all, to me, was AS's decision not to offer the Codebase Client Server engine, as well as the refresh issues in A5V6.

Certainly, AS does not code its product specifially for me (nor should it), but one would hope that our common interest would merge more frequently than has been the case in recent announced releases.

Notwithstanding, I'll continue to support AS products, where feasible, and look forward to a more advanced browse when ready.

Comment

From the above posts:

"The new browse will not be in v7. Selwyn made that very clear."

"...you are correct, it was promised for v7, but then again, it was also promised for v6. It is now promised (I think) for v8."

"Oh, well, Tom Henkel got 10 years on Version 1....I guess I can get 10 years on version five."

"...because of the complexity of the core problems which plague the browse, we will not be able to have it rewritten for V7."

"...but A5v7 will have the same component functionality (minus the native MySQL driver used my D2TW)"

"A significant feature I forgot to mention that is applicable to both web and desktop apps is the inclusion of a charting ActiveX control."

"...i.e providing bells & whistles without solving major problems and giving us nicer icons & pictures which are worthless. Are we going to wait for a new browse at version 12?"

"...it goes a little deeper than the mere lack of a new browse. A5V6 abandoned ODBC capabilities. Since practially all my apps are some type of front-end to a Mas90/200 database, A5V6 was out of the question as an upgrade. Most disappointing of all, to me, was AS's decision not to offer the Codebase Client Server engine, as well as the refresh issues in A5V6."

As a long time, very loyal and supportive customer of Alpha Software, it is extremely disheartening to read the above kinds of things. If browses are aren't fixed in v7, you'll have to give it to me because I ain't buying it. No ODBC, no native MySQL driver, not even client server via Codebase!! Then instead built-in charting we are supposed to be glad to have some Active X crap, probably that will only work if you own some piece of crap MS product that will set you and your users back a small fortune!! Seriously, I am going to have to think about finding something else to do with my time on this earth.

Ray Lyons

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as you Ray, but I am disappointed about the browses not being in v7. I pretty much stuck with v5 since although v6 is a huge step forward for net app development, it isn't what I need. I'll get a copy of v7 but will have to see the cost of the runtime to go beyond. Now if someone were to say that the browses would be slipstreamed into v7.1 or 7.2, that would make a big difference. If the code is not that far along, maybe a rewrite just to do what the browses do now (but without the problems) would be an interim fix.

I'm not going anywhere else, for better or worse Alpha is going to be the last database that I'll learn, so I will put up with whatever happens.
              I am sure that the wait will be worth it, if I'm not retired by then.

Russ

Comment

maybe a rewrite just to do what the browses do now (but without the problems) would be an interim fix.

Alpha has never been interested in an interim fix as far as I can tell. It's too bad for us. I understand that they have needed to focus on the web side. That was a necessity and apparently very good for their business. They did the right thing. But they should have thrown the rest of us something - a couple scraps at least. An embedded grid that displays & resynchs records correctly. Or something. When I heard what was in v7 (or more precisely, what was not in v7), I lowered my expectations - in terms of time, anyway. Eventually it will come. But it's true, you do have to live long enough to see it. You really do need the patience of a sphinx.

Peter
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Ray:
                  You cited many excerpts. There is one more that grabbed my attention, a statment by Jim Chapman:
                  >Going back a year of so, I think they switched direction, from 'just' re-coding a new browse to a paradigm shift that included forms, xdialog, and the browse.

I wonder what brought about that paradigm shift?!

Contrary to many who are dissapointed and while browse restructing is overdue, I am glad for the "paradigm shift" and I think, in the long run it will be well worth the wait.

Let's not badger alpha or send mixed messages. I think they are on the right track and when done, they will be leaps and bounds ahead of everybody else.

Sometimes, brave, honest and constructive critisim brings about great advances, although many might not be willing to admit it, at least not in public.

Gabe, the lone wranger.

Comment

Lenny,

I wasn't referring to the amount of money we may be charged to upgrade or purchase the product.

I have just lost 2 rather large clients because of the browse issues. New clients are hard to find at this level, and require many hours of non-profit time and energy in the early stages of a project. Once a client loses faith in a developer, they will go someplace else probably never to return. This is an example of what I meant by price!

Chris
                    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Lenny,

Perhaps it would be wiser of Alpha Software to postpone the launch of v7 until the "BROWSE" (and other major issues) are sorted. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that Alpha has postponed a version.

Chris
                      If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

I agree.
                        They should have been fixed in V6!!!!

Comment

Although my experience may not reflect all situations, so far I have not found a situation regarding browses I could not program for. Although it can be frustrating and time consuming, using xbasic I have been able to handle all situations with a combination of code in field rules in field and table events and browse events.
                          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Lenny,

one of the other things promised for v7 was the ability to place XDialogs directly on forms. Is that still going to happen in v7?

Also, there is an activeX plug-in for Firefox...
                            http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
                            ...that allegedly allows folks to "Embed the Mozilla browser engine (Gecko) into any ActiveX application" Does it work with Alpha? Do you (or anyone) have any example code showing how to get it working?

Thanks.

Regards,
                            Trevor

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I think most of you know that we DO take them very seriously!

We will be posting a reasonably comprehensive list of upcoming features in v7 in the next few days. The feautures mentioned in the thread above are missing a number of important and powerful new capabilites.

I think you will find the list to be very broad and very balanced between new desktop capabilities and new web capabilities.

Also, while we have not finalized pricing for the v7 upgrade, we think you will find it very fair and attractive.

Stay tuned and thanks for the support.

btw i did notice an expletive in one of the postings on this thread. My personal opinion is that the English language offers us a broad array of adjectives and that the interests of the overall Alpha Community might be better served by their use:)

Regards
                              Richard Rabins
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Richard,

Thanks. Little did I know that the original posting would spark the response that it did.

I, for one, am looking forward to V7. Although I have not used many of the web capabilities up till now, I do see a great value to them and will be using them in the not to distant future.

Keep up the EXCELLENT work.

Bill
                                Bill Griffin
                                Parkell, Inc

Comment

Working...
                                X