Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

re�evaluate field rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re�evaluate field rules

On my invoice system in invoice_items I have a discount field which is filled in in a lookup on the customer table. What I want to be able to do is if the discount for the customer needs to be changed I want to re-evaluate the field rules for each of the invoice_items for that customer. I don't know what is the best and easiest way of doing this anyone got any suggestions.

Kind regards
    David

RE: re�evaluate field rules

David,

Do you store the customer's discount rate in the header table alone, or is it stored in each line item record? Tell us how you use the discount rate. Spare no details.

-- tom

Comment

The discount rate is looked up in calculation for the field "extension" the calculation is "Qty*price-discount" the discount field does a lookup to the customer table to find the discount rate, I have not shown this because at the moment I don�t have access to the field rules to show copy the expression. The expression works perfectly. Hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
      David

Comment

David

Sounds like a job for an update operation.......
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I agree.

An update op could be defined for the items/transactions table to update the extension field, but filtered to only affect a single customer's transactions. A couple of careful backups is always a good idea before running untested update operations. -- tom

Comment

INVOICE_ITEMS-"DESPRICE-(INVOICE_ITEMS-"DESPRICE*LOOKUPN("F",LOOKUP("Invoice_Header","INVOICE_NUMBER="+CHR(34)+INVOICE_NUMBER+DESCRIPTION+CHR(34),"CUSTOMER_ID"),"Franchise","Customer","Customer_I")/100)-INVOICE_ITEMS-"PERDES

This is expression in calculated field rule for the field "extension". I managed to get this by doing the field rule on the invoice set and Alpha converted to what you have above. I have tried putting this expression into an update expression, but it does not work. The field "franchise" in the customer table holds the value of the discount that I want to change to update the extension field. Any ideas how to change this expression and filter by invoice number as I don't have the Customer_id in the invoice_items table.

Kind regards
            David

Comment

What I think I need is for the lookup for the franchise data should ask for the Customer_id and hava a condition to filter the invoice_number and ask for the invoice_number. Here is my attempt but it is not correct as I get an error invalid or incomplete expression.

Desprice-(DESPRICE*LOOKUPN("F",LOOKUP("customer","customer_id"=Var-"AskC_Cust_Code,"franchise")/100)-Perdes

Comment

I've never tried an ask variable inside a field rule but you need to move the equals inside the quotes for it to ever work

"customer_id = "Var-"AskC_Cust_Code
                There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry, and concatenate it.

"customer_id = " + Var-"AskC_Cust_Code
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Stan, I still get incompleteor invalid expression, this is what I have put in.

Desprice-(DESPRICE*LOOKUPN("F",LOOKUP("customer","customer_id = " + Var-"AskC_Cust_Code ,"franchise")/100)-Perdes

If it is the as bit that is causing the problem have you any other suggestions on how to do this.

Kind regards
                    David

Comment

David

I think you are going down the wrong road.

If you change the discount in the customer table, you now know the value of the customer_id. Why do you have to ask for it again?

I think you are having problems with an ask variable in a field rule because an ask variable shouldn't be used there......

Instead, use action scripting to run an update operation that makes a change to the invoice items for the value of the customer_id that is in the record that you are looking at. It's an option of how to run an operation via action scripting.
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

If you take this

Desprice-(DESPRICE*LOOKUPN("F",LOOKUP("customer","customer_id"=Var->AskC_Cust_Code,"franchise")/100)-Perdes

and change the filter as suggested

Desprice-(DESPRICE*LOOKUPN("F",LOOKUP("customer","customer_id =" + Var->AskC_Cust_Code,"franchise")/100)-Perdes

then strip all but the nested lookups

LOOKUPN("F",LOOKUP("customer","customer_id =" + Var->AskC_Cust_Code,"franchise"))

it seems to me that you have not completed the lookupn() expression. If you substitute "value" for the inner lookup()

LOOKUPN("F",value)

it should be more clear. It doesn't seem that you have provided the last three parameters - "Lookup_Expression as C, Lookup_Table as C, Index_Name as C".
                        There can be only one.

Comment

It's an option of how to run an operation via action scripting.

I don't know where to find the above, I have tried the options in action scripting under operation but can't find a way to build the update operation.

Kind regards
                          David

Comment

Working...
                          X