Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Tree control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree control

I am very new to alpha software. I want to create a form with tree control. According to users guide, I need to create tree control set. but when I click the picture to see how the set was create, I see 'Page Not Found'.
    then there ares messages about tree control on this message board . When I unzipped the file in one of the messages I see many dream weaver files. I am confused, why someone has used dreamweaver to create tree control.
    Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Thank you
    Sonia

RE: Tree control

Sonia,

In V6, we need to be careful and make sure we specify whether we are talking of a database form or a web-based form. The reference you give to Dreamweaver tells me that you are referencing a .A5W (web) form.

Please indicate which type form you are concerned about. If you are wanting to create a database form with a tree control, there is one way to do it, if you are talking about a .A5W form with a tree control, it is quite a different issue.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

At present I want to create database form. But my undestanding is to develop database form then deploy to web. Am I right?
      Or I have to use entirely different process to create web based application. I come from client server technology and have not done development since long time.
      Pl. explain to me what route I should follow to dewvelop forms for the web.
      Thank you very much.
      Sonia

Comment

Sonia,

There are excellent tutorials on creating both database and web-based forms along with all other aspects of design in both mediums. Along with the printer material, you should look at the sample database and web design datgabases Alpha provides and use them as learning tools. The hands-on approach along with the tutorials should help you build comfort with both 'portions' of Alpha 5.

You can create a database or web project independent of each other. However, if you objective is to create a database driven website, it would be logical to create the database first and then the web portion of the project.

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Dave,
          Can you pl. let me know how to create tree control in database form.
          Thank you
          SOnia

Comment

Sonia,

There are two tree control objects - one is called 'Tree-Control' and the other is 'Drop-down Tree Control'. The difference is the amount of screen space each takes; they work the same.

Open Alphasports and navigate to the control panel. Open the Customer Information form in design mode and widen the design form so you have some space with which to work.

If the Toolbar isn't open, click View and select Toolbox. Then, click on Tree Control and then set an area roughly 1 inch wide by 2 inches tall (size doesn't matter, it just gives us a work area). In the dialog that appears, select the Customer table in the left window and Company in the right window. Click OK. Then, select the Drop-down Tree Control object and place it below the larger area and make it maybe 1/2 inch tall. From the dialog, select the same table and same field as in the Tree Control we did previously.

For each of the two tree control objects, RIGHT click and select 'Properties' and from the Field Properties selection, select the Choices tab. Click the downward pointing arrow and select 'Computer Automatically' and in the Source dialog that appears, select 'Values from a table/set'. In the 'Field/expression values to display' select Company. Follow the same procedures for the Drop-down Tree Control. Note that the choices for the tree control can be user defined or set using Xbasic.

Click the Form View button (directly below File on the menu). You will see the company names in both the Tree Control and the Drop-down Tree Control. Click on a name and that record displays. Since we used the same field in both controls (Company) what you select in one of them is also selected in the other. Again, the only difference is the amount of screen real estate each control takes.

Dave
            Dave Jampole
            www.customalpha.com

Comment

Dave,
              Thank you so much for helping me out on this long weekend. Your directions are easy to follow. When I tried to go by users guide, i just got lost. I am going to try this very soon.
              Also I really want to thank you for helping me going in the wrong direction. Last night I installed and configured java run time and am able to use web projects. Went thru some tutorials. I like what I saw. I am ready to start my web forms. You don't know how much time you have saved me by telling two diffrent types of forms.
              Again have great weekend whatever is left.
              With regards
              Sonia

Comment

Sonia,

One of the things that makes this messageboard so great is users helping each other. Keep coming back and offer help when you can and we will all gain.

Dave
                Dave Jampole
                www.customalpha.com

Comment

Well, I created the tree control as per your instructions. I noticed two points. the drop down tree control did not display any data until I clicked and went down in the window.
                  Another point is the data does not reflect the real tree data. company field is at one level only. therefore this is not meaningful tree. I guess next action item for me is to have data in the table correctly then this should work and makes sense too.
                  My question is do I create one column to include all parent child ids or two separate columns as parent_id and child_id?
                  Thank you

Comment

Sonia,

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

Go back to design mode and right click on the tree control. In the Field Properties, change the 'Choices for control are:' to User Defined. Leave Display as 'Text only'. In the large text type something like the following:

Adams.Alan
                    Adams.Bob
                    Adams.John
                    Adams.Mike
                    Smith.Bob
                    Smith.Charles.Ann
                    Smith.Charles.Mary

Then, click OK. Click 'Form View' button and in the Tree Control you will see Adams and Smith, each on a seperate line with a small plus sign to the left. Click on Adams and you will see Alan, Bob, John, Mike on the tree below the surname. On Smith, you will see Bob and Charles on seperate lines, but Charles will have a plus sign. Follow in on down and you can see how to set up the tree to meet your needs.

Dave
                    Dave Jampole
                    www.customalpha.com

Comment

Re: Tree control

Originally posted by davej View Post
                      Sonia,

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

Go back to design mode and right click on the tree control. In the Field Properties, change the 'Choices for control are:' to User Defined. Leave Display as 'Text only'. In the large text type something like the following:

Adams.Alan
                      Adams.Bob
                      Adams.John
                      Adams.Mike
                      Smith.Bob
                      Smith.Charles.Ann
                      Smith.Charles.Mary

Then, click OK. Click 'Form View' button and in the Tree Control you will see Adams and Smith, each on a seperate line with a small plus sign to the left. Click on Adams and you will see Alan, Bob, John, Mike on the tree below the surname. On Smith, you will see Bob and Charles on seperate lines, but Charles will have a plus sign. Follow in on down and you can see how to set up the tree to meet your needs.

Dave
                      what is the limit to the size of data inside a tree control?

Comment

Working...
                      X