Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Form and Browse toggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form and Browse toggle

I hope this is simple. I am toggleing between a form and a browse for the same table. I am using action scripting to do this with a button on the form and doubleclick on the browse. Here is the problem, when I click my button on the form I go to the browse and the highlighed record is the current record in the form. But when I double click a record in the browse and would like to have that be the current record in the form, it is not. Can this be done using the toggle form/browse action script.

Lee
    Lee Goldsmith
    Loon's Echo
    Software and Services
    48 Mann Road
    Acton, ME 04001

RE: Form and Browse toggle

The simplest way to do this is to put the form in design mode, click on form at the top toolbar, then properties,. In properties, click on form, and note that there isa slot for a companion browse - select the browse you made. You might also do the same thing in the browse, for the companion form.

When you push the F8 key from either the form or the browse, it will automatically toggle back and forth, and will toggle back to the form based on the record that has focus in the browse.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Martin that is what I am doing. When you go to the browse from the form it works, the current form record is in focus on the browse. Now if I select another record in the browse and press F8 it goes back to the form and always shows the number 1 record.

What am I doing wrong or what do I need to check to make this work.

Lee
      Lee Goldsmith
      Loon's Echo
      Software and Services
      48 Mann Road
      Acton, ME 04001

Comment

you are creating a filtered index on the form from the first record at which you are looking. on the form, events, "onexit" create "set record number order"

Comment

Lee,

Is it possible? Yes.

If you open the default form for the Customer table in Alphasports you can move to a record, toggle the default browse with F8, move to a different record, toggle back to the default form with F8 and the "different" record is still in focus. I think your onRowDblClk event script is misbehaving.

-- tom

Comment

People I am not getting this to work. Even if I just use F8 and go to the browse it works, the current record is the active record in the browse, but if I make another record the active record and then press F8 I go back to the form and record with recnumber 1 is the record in focus.

WHY

Lee
            Lee Goldsmith
            Loon's Echo
            Software and Services
            48 Mann Road
            Acton, ME 04001

Comment

Is this behavior you're seeing while using the default form and browse for the Customer table in AlphaSports or are you talking about your own table?

-- tom

Comment

Lee:
                ""but if I make another record the active record and then press F8 I go back to the form and record with recnumber 1 is the record in focus.
                WHY ""

You ask WHY and the answer is very simple:
                when you go back from the browse to the form, you areall you do is put the form back in focus, but you did not do anything else or issue any other command to make the form display that specific record you double-clicked on from the browse.

What you need to do is use "zoom to record", that will show the form (if you designate that form as the form to zoom to) displaying the record you double-clicked from the browse.

You could zoom using the icon on the toolbar, xbasic or Action Script.
                Gabe

Comment

Everyone who has responded THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

But nothing has worked. I believe the documentation describes the toggle feature and for me it works in one direction, form to browse, but not in the other direction, browse to form. Any other script function does not work either. Unless someone can help me I will most likely have to live with it.

By the way I am using my own tables for this, not ones that came with the software. Also remember I am toggleing between a form and browse on the same table. I have the form in the browse property and the browse in the form property.

Thanks again all

Lee
                  Lee Goldsmith
                  Loon's Echo
                  Software and Services
                  48 Mann Road
                  Acton, ME 04001

Comment

Lee,

Something else is going on in your custom form or browse.

Unzip the attachment to an empty folder.
                    Open the database.
                    Open the form.
                    Choose a record.
                    Press F8 to toggle to the companion browse.
                    Choose a different record.
                    Press F8 to toggle back to the form.

Works fine here.

Suggest you zip your database and post it here with instructions for us to follow, keystroke by mouse click, so that we can see the problem.

-- tom

Comment

to add to Tom's message, "something else is going on," right click on the table (or set) from the controlpanel, and select "open default form."

edit the form, and put your browse as the companion browse, and save the form as maybe "test"

edit the browse and make the new form ("test") the companion form.

now try the F8 key and see if it works.

if it does - then examine your form - look in the oninit and onactivate events for code. - look in the filter/order properties of the form and see if there is anything there - especially in the filter.
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Hi Tom

Unzip my file and open Company Form then F8 to browse, works fine, then change record and then press F8 and go back to form, always goes back to the same record.
                        Lee Goldsmith
                        Loon's Echo
                        Software and Services
                        48 Mann Road
                        Acton, ME 04001

Comment

Lee,

I've run out of time and can only give you a clue on why your browse is behaving as you see.

Your custom form and custom browse layouts are based on a complex set containing several instances of the same child table.

Ordinarily, the default browse for a set will contain a single row for each composite record. (check user guide for definition and example of "composite record", it's in the section on designing reports for one to many sets)

In your custom browse you're only displaying three rows. The other composite records are missing.

Compare the behavior of the default form toggling to the default browse for your set. You can get to the default form by right clicking on the set name in the control panel. Choose default form, choose a company name, then use F8 to toggle to the default browse. NOtice now that there are additional rows displayed, one for each "composit record". Move your record selector to a row containing a different company name, and hit F8 again. You'll be toggled back to the default form correctly.

This leads me to think there's something wrong in your custom browse layout, but I haven't had a chance to figure out what. Maybe these clues will help someone else figure it out for us both.

-- tom

Comment

Lee,

To put the matter succinctly, I think F8 is trying to toggle back and forth between identical composite records. i.e. the same combination of parent and child records as are currently selected when F8 is pressed in your form. Your custom browse does not show the composite records, so F8 fails when toggling back to your custom form.

-- tom

Comment

Tom

Thanks very much for your time. Please don't lose any sleep over this. I think I will use the embedded browse on the form that I sent instead of the toggle, and this will do what I want.

Thanks again

Lee
                              Lee Goldsmith
                              Loon's Echo
                              Software and Services
                              48 Mann Road
                              Acton, ME 04001

Comment

Working...
                              X