Alpha Video Training

Thread: Multiple Browse per window?

Les Osborne

Default Multiple Browse per window?

I wish I had a printed manual because I hate asking questions but here goes. I have a window with multiple browse's, each browse has different query criteria but on the same table. No matter what I do, the tables come up with the same results. It appears the second browse query supercedes the first browse. Is there a way around this?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Multiple Browse per window?

Les, I think I can explain why this is happening but I cannot suggest a reliable work around. The embedded browse object you drop on the form is bound to the one instance of the table which is in the set supporting your form. Each additional browse object is bound to the same instance of your table. When the view in one changes, they all change. Others have experimented with complex set designs in which multiple instances of the table are linked into a single set. Each separate instance could theoretically have its own browse object. I have not adopted this approach, preferring instead to keep things simple, and just use buttons to change the view in a single browse object. -- tom

Les Osborne

Thank you for the explanation. I am working on a scheduling package where there is one record for the apointment that holds th start and end dates. I was attempting to have a 7 day view on the window with a seperate browse for each day of the week. The browse for each day would be based on a moving date so you could move forward or back. I really didn't want to have to create a seperate entry for each day of the stay.
    I may have to re-think my approach.

Les Osborne

One more thing, I am not using an embedded brows, it's a browse by expression so I can only pull the dates within a set range. Don't know if that makes a difference.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Thomas Patten

Les,

An approach I use when doing scheduling is to hold the Date in a parent table - Week begin on "your date"

Now create a set with the child have a date field, calculated to be filled from the parent table above.

Also include 7 fields in the child table, one for each day of the week to hold what you are scheduling - employee names.

Now on a form, show the browse with the 7 fields, and DO NOT show column heading on your browse. On the form, add 7 calculated fields, to hold the calculated dates for the seven days of the week. Each above the appropriate browse column so it looks like a browse heading.

Hope the above is clear enough.

Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Oops. I misunderstood. It makes a big difference.

-- tom

Les Osborne

I'm new to Alpha so if there is a different way or function to get a multiple lists of records within date specifications on the same window I am open for suggestions. I won't be editing the records, just viewing them for scheduling purposes. The Scheduling is for a kennel. Dogs come in at different dates and stay for different durations of time. maybe a browse was the wrong choice?