Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Background Colours not Printed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background Colours not Printed

I have used the script below to produce colours based on cell value.

case(Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=0,"Off White on White",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=1,"Blue on Blue",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=2,"Red on Red",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=3,"Gray-25 on Gray-25",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=4,"Violet on Violet",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=5,"Light Orange on Light Orange",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=6,"Yellow on Yellow",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=7,"Bright Green on Bright Green",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=8,"Sky Blue on Sky Blue",Application_Roadplan-"Mth01=9,"Gray-50 on Gray-50",.T.,"Black on White")

BUT when I print, preview or send the data to PDF or Excel it looses the background and keeps the value and text colour. How can I correct this?

RE: Background Colours not Printed

Try this experiment. Create a new blank report. Select Report > Import > Browse. Select the browse you are trying to print and click OK. See how it behaves in this format.

Comment

Steve:
      1-This might not have anything to do with the behavior you epxerience but I noticed that your colors are the same for the text/background. For example with "red on red", all you will get is solid red. So if this behavio is corrected, you will end up with another problem: solid colors and no text. I doubt that is what you want.
      2-You did not indicate what are you printing? the form? a report?
      3-Also, try to put the expression in the interactive window and see what is the result. It might not be evaluating properly.
      Gabe

Comment

One reason it might not be evaluating properly is the limitations on case() function. Recently there was a thread dealing with this issue, although I have some reservations as to those limitaion rules promulgated and infered in the thread.
        Gabe

Comment

Same result as stated before, see attached.

Comment

Gabe,

1. Thank you that is the desired initial effect.
            When I get the solid colours to work the next stage would be the patterns.

2. I was printing a browse table, but since then created a report for the browse table and got the same result.

3. Need to work that one out but I'll be back! with the result.

Comment

The color equations are useful for display purposes or for previewing what a certain color text would look like printed on colored paper. Specifying "Red on Red" does not tell the print engine to fill in an entire block of color, it thinks you are using colored paper. Only the text is colored in the printout, as you have found.

The background color to be printed is set on the border tab of the field properties dialog. I do not think that you can set the background color based on a conditional expression.

Perhaps you can accomplish what you want if you can make your output fit the screen and use a screen print utility?
              There can be only one.

Comment

Stan:
                The condtional color does apply to reports as well. I think this might end up being a printer, or a printer settings issue.
                Steve:
                What type of printer do you use?
                Gabe

Comment

The numbers are used to signify the status of an application (but also be hidden) within a window of upto 30 months. The reason the text is hidden is so as to be able to provide a quick view to the users, albeit via a browser, form, report or webpage. But due to the number of status bands required, I need more than the primary colours these are shown in the spreadsheet attached.

Currently we use a spreadsheet with over 2000 lines and just under 254 columns. This is getting harder to manage hence the conversion to a DB which could offer many more opportunities when pulling the data in from many sources and users.

Comment

I don't think it is a driver issue as it happens when I try to print to any printer, PDF file or spreadsheet.

The commonality is not to print the background colour, therefore is there a setting to over-ride this feature. It is like the Web function of not printing the background when printing a webpage.

Comment

""therefore is there a setting to over-ride this feature""
                      Have you tried to change the printer settings in your reports?
                      You might also check: REPORT.PRINTER_OVERRIDE() options.
                      Gabe

Comment

None of the options looked like they would address the problem.

Comment

From this report design I can add colour back using the menu. Can this be scripted and added to the calculated formulas.

see attached.

Comment

Ummmm... By turning this option on the colours have now come through on the preview see attached.

Column 1 has % fill, where as the 2nd Column is just solid.

Comment

Working...
                            X