Alpha Video Training

Thread: A5V6 Won't Shut Down

Real Name
    Bob M

Default A5V6 Won't Shut Down

This week I took the big leap and purchased A5V6 Upgrade. It is the current patch and build. It installed without any problems. Although it loads a little slow it seems to function during design work.

That said, when I choose the Exit button of A5 the program will not shut down. I choose the Exit link from the Menu and it won't close down. The only way it will close is when I use the Windows X.

In addition I note whenever I am working on a form and I go to table structure it gives me an error message that there is another copy of the database/table open and I can only view and not save the structure. It instructs me to shut A5 down, which I do. I then do the same thing without opening another session of A5 and I get the same message when I do a form then table structure.

I am using XP Pro; memory is 512

I do have a copy of A5V5 still installed but in a totally separate directory. And to my knowledge it has not been running at the same time as V6.

Any suggestions as to what I might have done to cause these strange occurrances?

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default RE: A5V6 Won't Shut Down

Bob M. wrote:
    -------------------------------
    This week I took the big leap and purchased A5V6 Upgrade. It is the current patch and build. It installed without any problems. Although it loads a little slow it seems to function during design work.

That said, when I choose the Exit button of A5 the program will not shut down. I choose the Exit link from the Menu and it won't close down. The only way it will close is when I use the Windows X.

Interesting. I've noticed just the opposite. The red windows X gives me a problem about 50%of the time, but the other ways are fine.

In addition I note whenever I am working on a form and I go to table structure it gives me an error message that there is another copy of the database/table open and I can only view and not save the structure. It instructs me to shut A5 down, which I do. I then do the same thing without opening another session of A5 and I get the same message when I do a form then table structure.

That's normal. You can't have a form based on a table open and then open the structure/field rules of the same table before closing the design of the form. Since the form is bound to the table, that's the copy of the table that is open. Close the design of the form and then open the structure.

a5v5 did that too.

I am using XP Pro; memory is 512

SP2? Can you put more memory in it? It really helps, but doesn't fix everything.

I do have a copy of A5V5 still installed but in a totally separate directory. And to my knowledge it has not been running at the same time as V6.

Any suggestions as....

Real Name
    Jerry Gray

Al,

For what it's worth, I just upped my memory from 512mb to 1.5Gb. It made a big difference in speed and seems to have added more stability. 1Gb of Crucial memory was $143 including shipping from Crucial.

Something else that has helped is that I switched from Norton's Antivirus to Panda's Titanium Antivirus. I have noticed improvement in all applications since this change.

I am using XP Pro - SP2

Jerry Gray

Real Name
    Bob M

FYI

I guess I left out the situation on the form whwen I get the table structure error.........

I have closed it after doing design work; I am not keeping it open. I don't think I really ever do that. In fact, I typically work in one window on A5 rather than switching back and forth so nothing else is open (that I can determine anyway)except the Table Structure function.

The amount of memory should not impact the closing of the software, at least I would not think so.

Other thoughts on both concerns????

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Bob

Leaving out little details doesn't help.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Any more than pressing enter when you are in the wrong section of the reply to form.... ;-)

Maybe you should post your code with a detail listing of what you are doing and where you are getting errors.

We can help you through the situation and actually determine what is happening.

Real Name
    Bob M

Al,

There really is no code involved.

This is a beginning design of a new application that I have had in my mind for my work. My first effort w/A6 as well. So I am just feeling my way with little bitty steps, so to speak.

All I have done is place several fields on a form, save it, go from design to view form mode, then close the form down.

I have a few fields in all of three very small tables that are now part of a set. I have been adding 1-2 fields to one table in the set as I work on the form.

When I close the form after seeing the results of the Form Design, I go to Table Design, which is when I get the error message as to another session is open and I should close A5 down. From there I try to close it down using the A5 X and/or the A5 Exit button or Menu Exit option and it does not close A5.; Nothing actually happens; no error message of any kind.

I am not sure what else I can say as this is as far as I have gone with this application. I have to believe it is something that I have done, perhaps in the way I installed, etc. I cannot fathom this as a bug in A5 lest others would have expounded on the matter already.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

Real Name
    Walter

Bob,

I am getting the same error now.
    Last week all my app's were shutting down OK.
    Since I installed Build 2057, i am getting the error.
    I am using v5 & v6 on the same machine.
    Alpha just "hang"

I am using the :a5.close() function
    Did you manage to fix your problem?

Thanks
    Walter