Alpha Video Training

Thread: Networking Alpha Five

Real Name
    Ron Adams

Default Networking Alpha Five

I have a client with a small network, using a router, of four (4) computers. They want the database installed on one of the computers but need read/write access to the database from the other three (3) computers.

Is this possible with Alpha Five if so how and/or with what product can i accomplish this task?

Thank you.

ron

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Default RE: Networking Alpha Five

Yes, it is possible. Look into "Network Optimization" in the support section of our website (support.alphasoftware.com)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ron,

You'd need to buy the Full Version (Developer Version) of Alpha Five to create the database. This would then be installed on the machine acting as server to the other workstations.

Each workstation could use other licensed copies of the Full Version to run the database over the network. This would permit them to make changes in the design of the application, as well as to enter or change records in the database over the network.

In many cases the designer does NOT want the local workstations to be able to change the design, but still be able to enter and change the data over the network. The Alpha Five Runtime Engine (sold separately from the Full Version) is available for this. You'd buy the runtime engine and install it on each workstation. Users would be able to use the database without being able to change its design.

-- tom

Real Name
    Ron Adams

Tom

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

I have a full edition of Alpha Five installed and have developed an application for this client. I have developed this application with the understanding I could install a full edition on the 'primary' computer, in a peer-to-peer network, then install 'runtime' modules on the local attached machines. I understood this configuration would allow the local machines to read/write the table data i.e. customer, product, vendor on the 'primary' machine.

Your last paragraph substantiates my belief, with respect to the 'runtime' modules, and NO I do not want any design changes done from the local machines.

If I may, are the 'runtime' modules difficult to install and setup?

Again, thank you very much for your time and attention.

ron

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Ron,

Installation of the runtime engine is pretty straightforward, however sometimes folks get in trouble in two areas:

a) they forget that each workstation must have read/write privileges to the databased folder on the "server"; and

b) I believe the runtime requires that each user have read/write privileges to the registry on their workstation (i.e. poweruser or administrator).

I believe there are other threads discussing installation and configuration of the runtime, so searching this forum, and the related forum (Alpha Five Version 5) would be useful to you.

-- tom

Real Name
    Steve Ferranti

Default Re: Networking Alpha Five

Tom does the user need to be a poweruser to use the program or just to install it on their system. I am working on a system for work and I don't believe IT is going to allow everyone to be a poweruser for ever but they will allow them that long enough to install runtime

Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default Re: Networking Alpha Five

Just for install. (not Tom)