Alpha Video Training

Thread: new to alphafive

Jon Lau

Default new to alphafive

Hi,

Any comments the web development features of alphafive ?Also rgd the learning curve and development speed.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Default RE: new to alphafive

Jon,

Welcome to the Alpha Community. I would suggest you follow the first post at the top of this formum: Please read before posting

Do a search in this forum as well as the web application server forum. Your questions have been asked and discussed multiple times already.

Good luck
    Cheryl

Real Name
    Sh

Shucks, I've got a sec to say that Alpha is great! And might I suggest to the list management that the search features could use some innovation? Even a list of your most popular search terms would be better than nothing. Staring at that blank field trying to guess what mystery words will yield results can be annoyingly difficult. Not everybody likes puzzles. Come on, you're data people. Invent something !

To answer your question, I had my first simple web application working within 30 minutes of trying, and I'm no programmer. (Dim:Yet) The learning curve depends entirely upon your background knowledge, your ability to learn , how serious you are about it, and how complicated your needs are. It's Conquerable!

Welcome, and Good Luck.

Shirley

Jon Lau

Thank you for yr reply.

In short, if one is already developing for desktop applications for over 5 years but no experience in web development, do you think alphafive web app development is the tool for such a guy? Can alphafive incorporate 3rd party components that's meant for VB.NET or Java?

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Jon,

Java 'script' is browser based so YES it can be used with WAS. I am not familiar with vb.net but you may benefit from scanning and reading the WAS forum, it will be a wealth of information for you.

I understand that the genies provided are extremely helpful to people that are not well versed with the web and would probably be the best place for you to start.

Alpha offers a lot of tutorials and help files that reading would be to your benefit. The learning curve is all up to you. Reading and experimenting is the way to go.

Good luck
    Cheryl

Jon Lau

Thank you for yr reply !

Real Name
    Jim Seidel

John -

We have ported our entire application to the Web as well. The learning curve is there, but once you understand the differences between A5 Native and the WAS, you will be fine.

Jim