Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

<TBL>.MEMO_CHECK What does it do, and what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<TBL>.MEMO_CHECK What does it do, and what

Hi Guys,

I have been writing a script which tests a number of tables in which memo-fields are present.
    The script uses the method result=t.memo_check("v") to check whether errors occur in the memofield with regards to pointers etc.
    If errors are found, the method t.memo_check("vp",.T.) is used to repair the errors found.

The results of this script seem to state, that errors of the category "Record 12345 past end of memo file" are being repaired, whilst errors of the category "Records 12345 freespace is occupied by data from record 12345" are not being repaired.

I have checked the documentation available and can not find any clues of what can be repaired and what can not be repaired. Does any of you have more information or experience with this ?

Furthermore, if such errors of the latter category can not be autorepaired, what would be the best way to get it done anyway ?

Kind regards,

Marcel

RE: &lt;TBL&gt;.MEMO_CHECK What does it do, and w

Hello Marcel,

""if such errors of the latter category can not be autorepaired, what would be the best way to get it done anyway ?""

memo_check() has been a welcomed addition, but in my experience, not 100% successful. I have not run into the message you describe, but I have had situations where memo_check() basically does away with data in the memo field. I assume this is because things are real bad :-(

The Alpha community has been dealing with memo field issues long before *.memo_check() was available. There are two commercially available memo repair utilities, (I think one is called dbFix, I can't remember the other name) but I have not used either of them. Someone wrote a memo repair routine in A5v1 that I think is still available in the code archives. If memory serves me correctly, this routine steps though the contents of a memo field character by character and rejects non-displayable characters. I don't think this routine was the total answer, but apparently worked in some situations. I believe you can find some info on memo fields on Dr. Peter Wayne's web site www.learn alpha.com.

Approaches that I use:
    DONOT do a compact until you do a *.memo_check(). Doing a db compact or table pack makes things worse if you have a corrupt memo file, usually ballooning up the *.fpt file. Unfortunately this is when we usually find there is a problem.

Make copies and run *.memo_check() to repair the file. This works in the majority of situations for me.

If *.memo_check() does not work, (in the sense of perserving the data), then I duplicate the table with data and check the new table. Sometimes this is all it takes.

If a simple duplication of the table with data does not work, then I will duplicate the table without data. At this point many will say to then append data from the existing table to the new table. This will usually fail when it hits the first record with the bad memo field. But this locates the first problem record (approximately). You can continue this process by then appending from the end of the table backwards, or trying the append by starting after the bad record. Many times you will find that only a record or two are bad, but of course at times there can be a lot of corruption.

However, I prefer to copy the records form the existing table to the new empty duplicate table via xbasic by stepping through the existing table record by record. This method can also choke when it hits a corrupt memo field, but in general I have had good luck with this approach.

The key IMHO, is to catch the problem early by using *.memo_check(). It is my experience that if you can catch it early, it is easy to fix. If you don't catch the problem and a lot of records are added after the corrupt record, and then a db compact is done, things can get really messed up.

The design of the database is paramount. Dr. Peter Wayne has a great article "Memo Fields that Work" (I think this is the name anyway) on his web site. There is also a wealth of info on memo fields here on the message boards but it is scattered around.

Also make sure you check your table indexes as well. Although the two issues can be totally seperate, ad hoc experience tells me that the two can be related or at least stem from the same systemic causes.

Also check out the discussions of optimistic locking. Cal Locklin wrote up a great article on this issue in the Alpha Newsletter a couple of months ago. Apparently this can greatly effect index and memo field issues.

And, or course backup, backup, backup.

Good luck,

Jim Chapman

Comment

Chad

For a new guy, you're sure good with the memo fields.

Then I saw the name at the end of the message......

The only thing that I can add is that the cross-referenced/duplicate referenced memo fields represent an unrecoverable situation where one of the pointers has been lost and there is nothing that has retained that can be used to rebuild it.

Sounds like that is the case that Marcel has run into.

whilst errors of the category "Records 12345 freespace is occupied by data from record 12345" are not being repaired.

Marcel, I would expect to see 2 different numbers listed in the message that you posted. I'm guessing that you typed that message rather than cutting and pasting it.

A good explanation of memo field problems is available at http://www.dsalvage.com/

This product expects a different formatted pointer that what Alpha uses and is not able to fix the memo field problems in Alpha. Even though, the same logical problem exists. If the pointer is overwritten with some other data, it can't be recoverd.
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hello Al,

""For a new guy, you're sure good with the memo fields.""

Fast learner........... I wish :-)

At my son's place for the weekend and found that being an AlphaHolic means withdrawal if I don't get my 'fix' for the day.

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim, Al,

Thanks for writing this experiences down for me. I already experienced the same things. Jim, the software you are reffering to probably is dSalvage as Al also mentioned. I have a license of this, and it is designed (I believe back in 1993) to work with Alpha Four also. So, diagnostics work for Alpha .dbf files.
          However, this was not what I was searching for.

Now that Alpha has released the memo_check() command, it seems important that more information is released as well about what it exactly does, and what not.
          Memo fields can carry different kinds of damage, and it is of course very interesting to know what kinds of damage can be repaired with this command and what not.
          The occurence of non ascii characters is only 1 kind of damage of course.

In my example, I did not use the real record numbers but rather examplary ones "12345" should give the clue... so
          Al is right that in real life the numbers of course are different from eachother because another record took the empty space of the older record.
          Whilst this may be irrecoverable, it does provide info about which record is the source of trouble, enabling you to simply delete it and rebuild pointerfiles.
          So the method of copying records block by block to see where the source of the problems lies might not be necessary.

Basically I am looking for answers to the question about what the function memo_check() does, and more important, what it does not do. At this point, the information is missing in the manuals and helpfiles, but Ed Larrabee is on the case and will investigate as he promised me by mail.
          And we all know that such an action will lead to results, so I think waiting for that is the best option, unless one of you has more info on this....

Kind regards,

Marcel

Comment

This is the reaction of Paul Heiser, author of dSalvage answering to my questions why dSalvage could not repair the damage correctly. As already stated in this thread, it seems not only that dSalvage can not repair this kind of damage, it also seems that there is no other external tool available that can do the job, making it more important for Alpha to come up with a solution:

Marcel,

Thank you for your inquiry.

To begin with, you have done nothing wrong.

Memo Repair and memo scan deal with two entirely different things. Memo Repair makes sure that the
            "next free block" pointer at the beginning of the memo file is correct. If it is not correct, the
            DBF file will not open. dSALVAGE's Memo Repair corrects it automatically. Memo Scan, on the other
            hand, looks at all the memo field pointers in the DBF to determine if they all point to valid
            locations in the memo file. Any pointers that do not point to valid locations are documented in
            the memoscan.txt file. This presumes, of course, that the format of the memo field pointers
            adheres to the DBF file standard. In Alpha 4 there was no problem since the format of the memo
            field pointers was consistent with the standard. But, for some reason that we are not aware of,
            the Alpha developers decided to depart from the standard when they created Alpha 5 with the result
            that they used the "null" character rather than the "space" character to left-fill the memo
            fields. Since the "null" character in memo fields is not permitted in the standard, dSALVAGE
            considers it damage. As far as we know, there is no file recovery software on the market that will
            handle this situation and, therefore, there is nothing that we know of that will allow you to find
            and repair bona-fide memo field damage in an Alpha 5 DBF file.

Paul Heiser

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Ed,

Did you find any answers already regarding this problem ?

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                X