Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Application Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Application Title

It works fine for me. How did you assign the title name to the form?
    Gabe

Comment

In the autoexec.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

But as you note, the -title startup parameter will be used when you max the form, so I guess that's the work around. The trouble is if you put something esoteric in the title bar such as the day & date, you cannot put that in the startup. Ditto if you switch apps in an A5 session.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter:
          I think the problem comes from putting the script in the autoexe.
          If you put the script in the autoexe, then open the form, the custom title will be there because the script executed. But when you go from minimized to maxmized, you need to add that script one more time. If you do that simply by cliking the maximize icon, the script will not execute to assign the custom window title. you could put a button with onpush event to do that to maximize the window and assign the title.
          But instead of all of these troubles, simply open your form in design mode, go to the "window" tab and assign a title. It will "stick" with the form whether you minimize it or maximize it.
          Gabe

Comment

you need to add that script one more time

Understood, but you shouldn't "need to".

Using the form properties is fine for regular form names. But if you want the main A5 window title to say something like the day & date (which is what I do) you can't put that in the startup. Ditto if you switch applications in a single session. You can add the script to OnActivate (which is what I also do), but you "shouldn't have to". There are always work arounds, but...
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter:
              Your working model assumes that autoexe executes when you go from minimized to maximized or vice a versa. I do not know if that is the case or not, my assumption and understanding is that it does not. I think autoexe runs when you open the database and ONLY then. Therefore, when you switch from minimized to maximized, the script does not run and therefore, you need to have your script added to another event such as onActivate or as I said have a button that incorporate that script.
              Gabe

Comment

Gabe,

Yes, Autoexec only executes when you first load the application.

It would seem to me that once the name is assigned in the script, it should not change again until you explicitly change it.

This is not a show stopper, but I consider it a bug.

Ok, end of subject for me.

Peter
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter:
                  Not to beat around the bush, but I think it's all a matter of understanding the purpose of that function (a5.window_tittle). It is meant to assign a title name to that "Instance" of "that layout", but none other, and that title will stay with that window as long as it is open but it is not a "permemant" assignment since you did not include it in the properties of the layout.
                  So, if you open a second instance, maximize etc., alpha will use the default title as it has no other indication that you want to assign the title to the new window.
                  You, and quite possibly many other useres, took it to mean: "from now on, this will be the title for this form" but that is not the intention of that function. Maybe alpha should develop a new function that carries over the title to all instances of the layout, but then again you could do the same by modifying properties.
                  Would you call that a bug ?? it does what it is set out to do, maybe it is not very well explained however.
                  Gabe

Comment

a5.window_title is meant to assign a title the Alpha Five application, it has nothing to do with forms. This is a bug.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.
                      As I indicated in my previous message, this function is meant for a "window" and it assign a title to that window. I am not how you could call that a bug unless you expect it to do something it was not meant to do!
                      Gabe

Comment

I know I said I would shut up, but I guess I can't quite yet.

Since Lenny is an Alpha programmer I suppose he knows something about it, although maybe I don't.

Anyway try this:

Open up alpha sports
                        Open up the controlpanel
                        Open up the "customer_information" form
                        Open up the interactive editor

From the interactive editor, type:
                        a5.window_title = "bug"
                        customer_information.window_title = "customer"

Now max the form, and then restore it.

The form name remains "customer".
                        The main A5 window reverts to "Alpha Five" when you max the form.

I think Lenny might be right.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter:
                          I am sure Lenny knows what he is talking about:
                          1-He re-iterate what I said: the function has nothing to do with forms. That's basically what I said.
                          2-But he indicates that this function is meant to set a title to "application": You got me here !!
                          First, the function's name suggests it is meant to set a title to a "window" being A5,window_title. So if it is supoosed to set a title to a window and it does that, then how is it a bug?
                          If it is meant to set a Title to the Application, then: the help file needs to be altered to reflect that and maybe the function name as well.
                          Third: if that is the case, then what is the function that sets a title to a "window" within the application as opposed to the application itself?
                          Gabe

Comment

Semantics aside, did you try what I said?
                            "b"
                            a5.window_title = "bug"
                            "/b"

The function operates on both forms and the main application window. After all, both are "windows".

Peter
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Semantics aside, did you try what I said?

a5.window_title = "bug"

The function operates on both forms and the main application window. After all, both are "windows".

Peter
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

No Peter, I have not tried it I take your word for it, but I think all along we were talking about two different things.

I am talking about the "window" within the application meaning a certain layout. In my app, the title remains unchanges maximize or minimize when I modified the properties.

you used two different functions (and maybe that is the answer to my question):
                                You used
                                a5.window_title and
                                customer_information.window_title

The latter one assigned a permenant title to the form's window. Maybe that's what you need to use in the autoexe script as opposed to a5.window_title since Justin's question had to do with the form title within the application not the application's title itself (at least that was my understanding).

In conclusion, it appears (though the name might be confusing) that a5.window_title will assign a title to the application. The name does not stick and as such is a bug.

On the other hand, if you use a layout name then window_title (as in your example customer_information.window_title) that will assign a title to to the layout and that title willl stick. There are no bugs here.
                                Gabe

Comment

Working...
                                X