Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Updating Alpha with open sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Alpha with open sessions

It's not clear to me what updates can be performed while a user has the application open. For example, if at least one user is working in an order entry form that I modified, then I copy the .se? files in, is it an acceptable practice? I.e., will it simply take effect for anyone in the application the next time they go out and come in? Or are there dire circumstances surrounding this practice?

If this turns out to be a "there are certain things you can do, and others you can't" thing, I wonder if there's any place where this is written up.

Thank you if you're knowledgeable about this topic.

Jeff

RE: Updating Alpha with open sessions

When you update your app, no one else should have the app open. All users should be off. Not sure if that's a hard and fast rule but if I were updating an app, I'd make sure everyone was off. You also must do the network optimize from each computer.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

I know that that's the standard protocol, i.e., everyone should be out. But I'm more after knowing where there are risks and what the effect is when someone is open. Sometimes I have changes to make that don't warrant having everyone exit A5. Other times, I might access a network at night and determine that at least one person left the app open, and wonder whether I can copy in the files.

Jeff

Comment

Perhaps you should consider establishing some 'Rules of the Road', such as.....No updating unless ALL users are out.

Since Alpha says to do an update when everyone is out, that implies to me that there could be problems if someone is still open. For me, I would not do an update unless everyone is out. However, if you want to find out what happens, give it a try AFTER you back up the app.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Jeff,

For what it's worth, Dr. Peter Wayne's book Application Programming in AlphaFive Version 5 has a routine to force users off the network. It's on page 278.

Jerry Gray

Comment

I've installed new data dictionary files a number of times while the current user was working in the app and, so far, have never had a problem. (I always install them in groups - i.e., never just the .ddd file but the three matching .ddd, .ddm, and .ddx files.)

However, I don't recommend this for beginners or casual users. There are a number of issues to be considered. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:
            - which files are copied. (as noted above)
            - effects of shadowed workstations. (there are a few implications here which you should be able to figure out if you are familiar with how shadowing works)
            - never do it if table restructuring is involved.
            - new scripts that may cause restructuring should be avoided. (ref: a5_add_fields_to_table() and others)

I have used this method mostly to test new forms, scripts, etc. on one system before implementing something as a full-blown update for all users.

And, as Ken pointed out, backups are always a good thing.

Cal Locklin
            www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Jerry,

That's a refreshing idea. I'll check it out. I have one client -- and only one who does this -- who has employees who refuse to exit when they leave work. They've been told, but either they (1 or 2 of them) are brain dead or hopelessly defiant. If it were my company, I would fire them because they're putting the company's critical data at risk (can't back up the open files during overnight backup routine).

Jeff

Comment

Cal,

That's the kind of info I was looking for. Regarding restructuring, I would never attempt anything like that if anyone was open, anyhow. That aside, I was thinking more in terms of a form or rules change, and yes, I copy over the whole family of dd's for that form. When I only change a few things, I do a simple dir /od in the data directory (in DOS), which shows me the latest things that changed. The families of dd's are always grouped together anyhow (date/time changes are the same) and well as the se's and al's. I'm also trying to understand the effects of doing these changes while someone is in. For example, if I change field rules while someone is in the affected table, I assume the rule change will not apply to them until they go out and come back in. But anyone not in who goes in after I copy the rule change over will now have the new rules in effect, right? And, more importantly, under this scenario, I have not done anything to risk the data or to distort the changes I have made, right? I'm looking for confirmation of this since sometimes want to put a change on the system during working hours without having disruptions to employee work flows.

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

Those are good questions and I would assume the same things as you. However, I haven't specifically tested them.

Be careful - sorting by date doesn't necessarily keep data dictionaries together. Sometimes during development the dates do change on one file and not the other.

I don't recall ever doing this to change field rules so I'm not sure what the results would be.

Also remember that it will only affect the workstations that you add the new files to unless you put them on the server and force the workstations to update.

Something else I've done is to update the server with the new data dictionaries so the workstations will be updated the next time they start. (Obviously with an updated network opt number.) When I do this, the .al* files are the last ones to be added. This way someone who happens to log in while I'm adding the files won't be forced into an update until all the files are ready.

Cal Locklin
                  www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Cal,

I forgot to mention that these are situations where the workstations are not shadowed yet, so I'm updating the one server location only. My assumption is that once I implement shadowing, I'll make that happen automatically anyhow.

I'm disturbed that there are files that don't update the date and time attributes when changes are made to them. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the .alx file does not update its date and time while its relatives, .alb, .alm., and .adb, are updated. I would sometimes exclude .alx, thinking that it hasn't been touched. If what you're saying is true, this would appear to be a serious flaw in Alpha. I hope somebody from development picks up on this and fixes it. I will in the future be vigilante and include the whole family (less .dbf, .cdx, and .fpt) when I copy over the updates.

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

I could be wrong but I believe the date does change if the file is modified. However, it's entirely possible that, for example, the .ddd file might change without changing the .ddm or .ddx file. (That's like saying you have corrected someone's phone number but did not change the memo for that record and did not affect the indexes because there is no index on phone.) I suppose you could just copy the file(s) with newer dates but then you would have to compare the 'new' files with the 'existing' files because it's probably possible that something like the following could happen....

1. All files updated on 1/1/2005 for development and production app.
                      2. .ddx file in development version updated on 1/2/2005.
                      3. .ddd and .ddm file in development version updated on 1/7/2005.

Now, if you updated only the latest files, that would be only the .ddd and .ddm file but the .ddx file would also be new since the production app was released.

Therefore, the safest method is to always update all three matching dictionary files.

Comment

Working...
                      X