Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Run Time App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run Time App

Just tell me where to look. I need to know how to create a run time app. By that I mean how to take an application created with A5 and set it up so that it can run from a disk and others can put their own data in it...

This is probably another of those questions that is so basic that I'm not seeing the answer when I'm looking at it.

lt

RE: Run Time App

You will need to purchase the Runtime program. It comes in 3-users, 5, 20 and so on. Go to Alpha Software Home page and look under Products. You will be able to distribute your application using the RT and the user will not be able to acess your files.

-jh

Comment

The most common way to have a run time app is to install the Alpha run time on the client's machine, install the database which holds your application's data on their machine in a directory structure exactly the same as was used to create the app. Then create a shortcut on their desktop pointing to the .adb file for your application.

If the application is to be networked among multiple users, the data should reside on a server in a directory structure exactly the same as was used to create the app.
      There can be only one.

Comment

The runtime page is listed with the other v6 products

http://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/prodlist.asp?TYPEID=12&TYPE=Alpha+Five+Version+6+Products

Comment

This is probably another of those questions that is so basic that I'm not seeing the answer when I'm looking at it. Yep!

However, you can't have them run if from a CD. They can copy or install it from a CD but the files have to be editable in order for the app to use them and files on a CD are not editable. Even if they were, it would be really slow.

The ONLY difference between a runtime app and a "full version" app is the program used to run it. The application itself is identical. In other words, assuming you were not silly enough to put your application in the same folder as your A5v6 program files, just copy your application folder to the customer's computer, install the runtime on their computer, and set up an icon to start the runtime version of A5 with the application's .adb file as the argument. (see also http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Xbasic/Starting_Alpha_Five_with_Command_Line_Options.htm)

You can also use Alpha's built-in installation creator to build an installation file that will do it for you.

You may also want to take a look at the file extension definitions to better understand what's happening: http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Xbasic/Alpha_Five_File_Types.htm

Comment

While I certainly agree that identical directory structures are nice, it's not a requirement. Virtually none of mine are set up that way because I have so many apps that my directory structure is aimed at keeping track of them. Most of my customer's don't want something like \A5v6\Current\"App Name>\Dev_App\ as the path.

I usually set the default to "C:\AIMS_DC\"App Name>" for the application folder on the server but many customers change it. Note that I didn't say anything about where the runtime (or full) version is installed. There is no need to install either one on the server and, if it is truly a server and not just another workstation, there is good reason not to install either one on the server.

If the "server" is also a workstation, then I would install the runtime in the "C:\AIMS_DC" folder by default but allow the user to change it. However, the app would still end up underneath the A5 program folder no matter where it is. (Having the app underneath the A5 program isn't a requirement but it does make installations and updates easier because my install routine can read the registry to find out where A5 is installed.)

On a shadowed workstation, the default application folder would end up being "C:\AIMS_DC\Shadow\"App Name>" and the runtime would be in "C:\AIMS_DC".

Cal Locklin
            AIMS DataCom
            www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Well alrighty now. I have a 3 runtime pack running on my own lan here and it works just fine. I had gotten the impression that the full version allowed one to develop an application and then somehow publish that within a run time function that installed the runtime into the app thus creating a standalone program which could then be installed etc etc....in other words, I thought the full version could be used to create run time applications thru some alchemy.

What I understand now is that I buy runtime versions and provide those to people along with the application. Is that pretty much it?

lt

Comment

Hello Lanny,

""What I understand now is that I buy runtime versions and provide those to people along with the application. Is that pretty much it? ""

Yes, except that you can use Alpha's built-in "Create Install Package", or other 3rd party software, to create an install package that installs the runtime and your application.

Jim

Comment

Just to clarify, if you already have a 3-user runtime package you can install your runtime along with your application an unlimited number of times.
                  John Oesterle
                  ToolBytes, LLC

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. As yet, I have not located the information on how to do that. I'll keep looking until I find what particular word is used to reference the process.

lt

Comment

Working...
                    X