Alpha Video Training

Thread: Run Time App

Real Name
    Lanny Tonning

Default Run Time App

Just tell me where to look. I need to know how to create a run time app. By that I mean how to take an application created with A5 and set it up so that it can run from a disk and others can put their own data in it...

This is probably another of those questions that is so basic that I'm not seeing the answer when I'm looking at it.

lt

Real Name
    Jerry Hartness

Default RE: Run Time App

You will need to purchase the Runtime program. It comes in 3-users, 5, 20 and so on. Go to Alpha Software Home page and look under Products. You will be able to distribute your application using the RT and the user will not be able to acess your files.

-jh

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

The most common way to have a run time app is to install the Alpha run time on the client's machine, install the database which holds your application's data on their machine in a directory structure exactly the same as was used to create the app. Then create a shortcut on their desktop pointing to the .adb file for your application.

If the application is to be networked among multiple users, the data should reside on a server in a directory structure exactly the same as was used to create the app.

"Certified" Alphaholic Melvin Davidson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melvin Davidson

The runtime page is listed with the other v6 products

http://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/prodlist.asp?TYPEID=12&TYPE=Alpha+Five+Version+6+Products

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

This is probably another of those questions that is so basic that I'm not seeing the answer when I'm looking at it. Yep!

However, you can't have them run if from a CD. They can copy or install it from a CD but the files have to be editable in order for the app to use them and files on a CD are not editable. Even if they were, it would be really slow.

The ONLY difference between a runtime app and a "full version" app is the program used to run it. The application itself is identical. In other words, assuming you were not silly enough to put your application in the same folder as your A5v6 program files, just copy your application folder to the customer's computer, install the runtime on their computer, and set up an icon to start the runtime version of A5 with the application's .adb file as the argument. (see also http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Xbasic/Starting_Alpha_Five_with_Command_Line_Options.htm)

You can also use Alpha's built-in installation creator to build an installation file that will do it for you.

You may also want to take a look at the file extension definitions to better understand what's happening: http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Xbasic/Alpha_Five_File_Types.htm

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

While I certainly agree that identical directory structures are nice, it's not a requirement. Virtually none of mine are set up that way because I have so many apps that my directory structure is aimed at keeping track of them. Most of my customer's don't want something like \A5v6\Current\"App Name>\Dev_App\ as the path.

I usually set the default to "C:\AIMS_DC\"App Name>" for the application folder on the server but many customers change it. Note that I didn't say anything about where the runtime (or full) version is installed. There is no need to install either one on the server and, if it is truly a server and not just another workstation, there is good reason not to install either one on the server.

If the "server" is also a workstation, then I would install the runtime in the "C:\AIMS_DC" folder by default but allow the user to change it. However, the app would still end up underneath the A5 program folder no matter where it is. (Having the app underneath the A5 program isn't a requirement but it does make installations and updates easier because my install routine can read the registry to find out where A5 is installed.)

On a shadowed workstation, the default application folder would end up being "C:\AIMS_DC\Shadow\"App Name>" and the runtime would be in "C:\AIMS_DC".

Cal Locklin
    AIMS DataCom
    www.aimsdc.net

Real Name
    Lanny Tonning

Well alrighty now. I have a 3 runtime pack running on my own lan here and it works just fine. I had gotten the impression that the full version allowed one to develop an application and then somehow publish that within a run time function that installed the runtime into the app thus creating a standalone program which could then be installed etc etc....in other words, I thought the full version could be used to create run time applications thru some alchemy.

What I understand now is that I buy runtime versions and provide those to people along with the application. Is that pretty much it?

lt

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Lanny,

""What I understand now is that I buy runtime versions and provide those to people along with the application. Is that pretty much it? ""

Yes, except that you can use Alpha's built-in "Create Install Package", or other 3rd party software, to create an install package that installs the runtime and your application.

Jim

Real Name
    John Oesterle

Just to clarify, if you already have a 3-user runtime package you can install your runtime along with your application an unlimited number of times.

Real Name
    Lanny Tonning

Thanks for clearing that up. As yet, I have not located the information on how to do that. I'll keep looking until I find what particular word is used to reference the process.

lt