Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report problems

I am not sure if these problems are related.
    1) Every time I try t generate a report, I get the error message in the bmp file. Normally, If I click "OK", the message goes and the report looks fine.
    2) The report "Status 1" should have 76 calculated fields. One cell is blank. It should be 100*(calc"totstrspecies/calc"totspecies)
    Trouble is, every time I enter that - using the expression builder and F5 so that I can pick from the calcuated fields left, the report generater seems to lose its mind - at least it loses all the 36 fields in the percentage table and 8 of the fields from the numbers table.
    Is there a limit to the number of calculations one can have in a report and, if so, Have I hit it? If that is not the problem, what is?
    Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

RE: Report problems

....Is there a limit to the number of calculations one can have in a report and, if so, Have I hit it? If that is not the problem, what is?.....

I don't think so, at least I've never heard of it. I suspect you've got a mix-up some where. If you could attach a zip file, you will know doubt get a specific answer.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Your problem may be due to using a calculation in another calculation. It is easy to see that circularities and ordering issues might occur.

Try using the actual calculations rather than the calculated fields in your definition.

Bill
      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I cannot use the original numbers. I tried to attach the file but failed so here is a qucik explanation. I am editing a book with descriptions of grasses. We have many authors, with each author being responsible for a genus - and a genus has a size (the number of species it contains). We record progress in terms of the number of genera and species at different stages. The report has a table showing total number of genera and species at each stage and another table showing what percentage of the total genera and species these numbers represent. To calculate the total number of species I first have to say use the size number for the genus, then total the sizes for genera meeting a criterion (progress level). Then to calculate the percentages that calculation is divided by the calculation of the total number of species.
        The table USED to work. I have printed off all the sizes and can see nothing wrong with them. If someone will tell me how to attach a file, I shall do so. If there is one attached, I found out. Mention was made of scripts but I am below that level of user.

Comment

I have a form with over 110 calculations and it functions just fine.

Jim

Comment

That is my impression - in fact I had this report working fine for months. I do not know what has happened.

Comment

Mary,

The zip file contains no tables so it is not possible to view the calculations. Do you know that there is a 1 meg limit to attachments on the board? Perhaps that explains some of your posting difficulties.

If the calculation worked for months you have to look for something which changed (which must be obvious to you).

Perhaps there is something wrong with the report. What happens if you create a new report and add that calculation to it.

Finally, are you absolutely sure that the data supports that specific calculation. Could their be missing data?

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

NO, I was not aware of the limit. Actually, I thought the zip file was smaller. I shall try again tomorrow.
                The two components of the calculation that I want to include appear elsewhere on the report - and are just fine. I shall try creating a new report with just the calculation.

As to what happened - I upgraded to version 6. I have had lots of little problems, including the appearange of a message saying that there is an error in some script (see my first post).

Comment

So is the essence of the matter that the report works in V5 but not in V6? If so it would put a new complexion on things and suggest new lines of inquiry.

It would really help to have a working example of your application (or a relevant subset) to try in both V5 and V6. An old copy which had never been opened in V6 would provide the cleanest baseline case for investigation.

Bill
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Along with Bill's suggestion, if it worked fine in v5 but not in v6, re-create the calculated fields. I know that doesn't excite you but others who have had issues with converting calculated fields from v5 to v6 have recreated the calculations and all is well.

kenn
                    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Well, I was prepared to think that it was not the conversion to version 6 - but when asked what has changed, that is the answer. Unfortunately, being infinitely trusting (and stupid) I do not have a copy of the old version that did run. I used it all through 2003 to provide reports on our progress.

I shall try to creat a small version that can be posted. This time I am definitly backing up first. I had copied the alpha file to be desk top and then eliminated the stuff that I did not need - thinking that I was working on a copy. I have discovered that I was not. IN other words, I have lost a lot. I should have used the duplicate database tool. So - trying to get smarter, it is a matter of making a backup copy first, then eliminating irrelevant records.

You are right Kevin - recreating the calculated fields does not excite me. Moreover I asked explicitly about whether reports would come over - I probably forgot to mention calculated fields, before purchasing the upgrade. i was told there would be no problems. If I had told there would be problems, I would not have purchased it. I have forgotten now what aspect of the upgrade interested me. Incidentally, it was someone at Alpha who told me there was a limit on the number of calculations.

Mary

Comment

I have eliminated the irrelevant records. Another observation: In the Report calculated fields, there is a calculation of pctstrspecies. The problem is that I accidentally used the same value in the numerator and the denominator. The numerator should be calc"totstrspecies. I tried to delete pctstrspecies and then view the report again - and that leads to the problem I have been describing, destruction of several of the calculated fields that are working. So I tried, again, simply correcting the expression for pctstrspecies. I could try recreating the table from scratch - but I want some assurance that doing so will be worth the effort. It does take a long time to create it - and I do not think that it should be necessary - and i would really like to understand why there is a problem.
                        Incidentally, if anyone can explain the error message (see bmp file) that comes up that would also be nice. It (or something similar - I cannot check, most reports were wiped out accidentally)comes up with all my reports . And yes, this is since moving to version 6.
                        Mary

Comment

I have eliminated the irrelevant records. Another observation: In the Report calculated fields, there is a calculation of pctstrspecies. The problem is that I accidentally used the same value in the numerator and the denominator. The numerator should be calc"totstrspecies. I tried to delete pctstrspecies and then view the report again - and that leads to the problem I have been describing, destruction of several of the calculated fields that are working. So I tried, again, simply correcting the expression for pctstrspecies. I could try recreating the table from scratch - but I want some assurance that doing so will be worth the effort. It does take a long time to create it - and I do not think that it should be necessary - and i would really like to understand why there is a problem.
                          Incidentally, if anyone can explain the error message (see bmp file) that comes up that would also be nice. It (or something similar - I cannot check, most reports were wiped out accidentally)comes up with all my reports . And yes, this is since moving to version 6.
                          Mary

Comment

Mary:
                            I think you will be delighted to know that your problem is a lot simpler than you think! and the solution will take you few minutes to resolve it!!!
                            Reviewing your message, I gathered the following:
                            1-You have a report that have calculated fields
                            2-It worked fine in a5v5, but now it's acting irate in a5v6
                            You went through several diagnostic issues to figure out why and so far, no luck.
                            It might surprise how minor the problem is!
                            When you created the calc fields in a5v5, you put those in a table with the calc fields names to the left and the expressions to the right. I bet you put names with spaces in them !!!!
                            Do not feel guilty !! a5v5 allowed that. But when you went to a5v6, GUESS WHAT: a5v6 took the same calc fields you have, put them in a nice cute table with the calc fields to the left then an "=" and the expressions to the right. Seems OK... NOT.. It is not OK !: any field that has space in the name will not render a value because the space is an "illegal" character !!!
                            Open your report in a5v6, then click the icon for calc fields and look at the calc fields name !!! here is your culprit !!
                            If that is the case, please let me know before you indulge yourself in making any correction and I will let you know how to make these corrections without too much heartache !!
                            Gabe

Comment

Mary,

Your new zip file still contains no tables. You should read up on which files you need to send (right next to the attach files checkbox).

As for recreating calculated fields I think you need only resave them. Doing so should verify that the field-name references are still valid as trying to save a defective calculation generates an error message (usually).

Bill
                              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Working...
                              X