Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

No Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Response

I truly hope someone can help me!

I just upgraded to V6. Now I'm having all sorts of problems, but the most important first.

I am running an XP Pro system with 1 gig in RAM. If I have an app opened and maximized on my desktop, then every once in a while, but more often than not for my liking, when the screensaver kicks in, and I return to the app, I get a white screen with an hourglass. The Windows task manager reports V6 as two applications, both not responding.

This NEVER happened with V5. Now it's happening on two different machines both of which are running WinXP Pro.

Can anyone help or in the adverse I need help in rolling this back to V5.

Thanks,

Charlie

RE: No Response

Just the obvious,
    Is it that important that you have the screensaver?
    Screensavers have caused me lots of headaches in other programs. I don't use them anymore, Macs or PCs.

Bill Belanger

Comment

No, but that's not the point here. It's really not the screensaver actually. XP, when left alone, defaults to the user sign-on screen, so if you walk away from your computer, it protects your work.

In any event, it worked fine under V5. What is making it do this in V6?

Is no one else having this problem? I've turned off Norton Auto-Protect too.

Charlie

Comment

Unfortunately, we can't repeat this. We have tested this on several machines.

I just did a test where I set my screen saver to come on after 1 minute. After it came on A5 restored normally.

I don't know what to suggest.

Comment

Charles,

In answer to your last question, did you try a search? If there's a post, shouldn't be too hard to find. However, I've never seen this problem before.

That said, there's only one way to determine the source of the problem, trial and error. Not that it couldn't be A5, I highly doubt it. Let's presume it's not A5, what's left? An XP problem? Perhaps but with so many running XP-P (myself included) I doubt it's XP. What else is left? Yup, 'pilot error'. In this case it's probably some code you've got where it shouldn't be. Copy your app and start removing features one at a time. Do not remove the next feature until you've tested the screen savor. (I take it A5 is the only software where this occurs?)

Start with the database properties and/or the settings. You might also check the desktop properties.

Also, have you done a database compact? What build are you using w/v6? Have ypou checked for virus, worms, etc. Just because you've got Norton running doesn't mean it didn't miss one or two. The W32/Oror.A worm disables certain files in security software. Check it out on the web. I know because it got me.

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I appreciate the efforts, but here's what happened (is happening).

I ran my V5 app and it ran fine on both XP machines. I then went to my home machine over the weekend and upgraded to V6. I worked minally on the app, left the machine for a while and it started happening. Figuring all of what Kenn said I checked everything - no result. I took the app to my office machine and performed an upgrade to V6 there. I then loaded the app and the strange behavior started right in.

Here's one more point/idea. It doesn't appear to happen during short screensaver times, only after long periods. I am still testing to get some times for you. Also, it seems to only happen when the app is maximized on the screen. It didn't happen when I had just the control panel up.

S0....my question to Selwyn would be, is there a screen refresh that might be going on which V6 would load on upgrade? I've looked at the defaults, but didn't see anything in particular. I think it has to be in this area.

Charlie

Comment

I then went to my home machine over the weekend and upgraded to V6.

How did you do this? While v6 might be called an upgrade, it's not a true upgrade in that it is it's own stand alone application, it's own directory, etc. Other than being Alpha 5, it has nothing to do with v5. In other words, it must not be installed to the v5 directory or you WILL have problems, to put it mildly.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Kenn,

Calm down! I know what I'm doing. It was put into it's own directory. But when I called up the app using V6 it exhibited this strange behavior.

Anything else or any other ideas? I still think it has to do with the app when loaded. But I did take your idea and I am looking over what the app might be doing when first coming up. So far, nothing remarkable, just a normal load of a main menu, but I'm still poking around.

Charlie

Comment

Still can't find anything overt. But when I ran database compact I got messages saying that two dbf's could not be updated and asking me whether I wanted to drop them from the app. I said no. I don't know why I'm getting this, but I've gotten this message before and everything still ran properly. Both dbf's are "Dummy" dbf's, but have identification info used by other reports, so I still need them around. Icreated them to run menu's off of.

But just for fun, I fixed the menu's to run off a truly "dummy" dbf.

So...........I'm testing to see what happens. If it's still going on and if no one else out there is seeing this problem, then the only thing I could do is zip it all up and send it to Selwyn.

I still think it's got to be a conflict. I'm XP SP2 and I know that has some added security. Could that be the conflict?

Charlie

PS: Thanks Kenn as always for your efforts.

Comment

Yo...Charlie,

It would help if you confirm the results of my suggestions. This is a trial and error deal, a process of elimination. It's tedious work but the only way I know.

kenn

Comment

This occurs fairly often. When it does, close out A5, open the app and do a database compact. It should run OK.

Menus should not run off any dbf but a dummy dbf. dummy dbf's should not be part of a set.

Don't know if SP-2's security is conflicting with A5 unless you have some security set up in your app; i.e. pass words, etc. However, when my screen saver at work kicks in, I must enter the windows password but nothing for A5. Problem is, I'm running v5 and W2k at work, so................

kenn

Comment

Kenn,

Here's another thing I just noticed. A5 is now showing decreased memory usage in Task Manager. It's now down to 35k from where it was actively pusing CPU at 54k. So maybe the compacts had an effect or my fixing the dummy dbf's, etc.

I'd like to find it though. I used to work for the US Govt. and there we had a saying, "I don't believe in coincidences." Two machines both giving me the same problems the same day. Maybe it's the app, maybe not.

I'll keep testing.

Charlie

Comment

Have you tried running the AlphaSports application to see if the same anomaly occurs with it. Or even tried running Aplha with no database open to see if it occurs then. Were it me I would want to quickly narrow down whether the problem is the the engine or the gas (Aplha itself or my application). If the problem only occurs with your app then the obvious answer is to start pulling it apart to see what is causing the problem. As others have said, this is a trial and error routine that requires a great deal of patience. I know because I've been there myself.

For what it's worth I'm running a number of apps on XP machines and have not seen the problem you are reporting.

Comment

Charlie, another thought - you mentioned that it only happens after long periods of inactivity. Could it be that your screen saver comes on after a short period (10 minutes?), but after an hour, your hard drive quits (this is an option in Power Management - one which I NEVER use, FWIW). If that's the case, try setting the hard drive sleep to NEVER.

Comment

No that's not it, but thanks.

I'm working on it though.

Charlie

Comment

Working...
                              X