Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Grandchild records not displaying...Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandchild records not displaying...Help please

I am working on a stock control system for a clothing distribution company. The problem I have is when adding a new row to the stock movements table the associated form is supposed to display a 'size grid' ( which is at the grandchild level in the set ) but does not. Sorry for being so vague but if you can help please download the .zip file and have a look at issues, receipts or returns to see what I mean. I am trying to achieve as much as possible using action scripting. What am I doing wrong ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am working to tight deadlines and I am sure that what I am trying to do is entrirely possible.
    Thank you in advance.

RE: Grandchild records not displaying...Help pleas

Peter,

I'm unable to help because you've made it too difficult.

Write down the sequence we should follow to see the problem. Key stroke by keystroke, mouse click by mouse click. Post it here.

I've downloaded the zip file. there's no readme.txt explaining what to do. I looked for forms named "issues, receipts or returns" as you requested. there are none!

Your database contains lots of tables, sets, and forms. I'd like to help but I'm not willing to inspect them all in hopes I might by chance wind up seeing the actual problem you are describing.

-- t

Comment

Sorry Tom. I was bit vague.
      1) Run the form xx_start.
      This shows the system menu at the top of the screen.
      Or
      on the code tab select "run_stock_move_iss"
      2) Select Stock Control -" Issues.
      This option runs the Stock Movement Admin form with a variable called g_stock_move set to 'ISS'. ( This is so that there is only one form for all different types of stock movements ).
      3) Click the button at the side of Product Id to select a product. This selects from available products in st_stock table.
      4) At this point a record ( from st_sizegrid ) should be displayed since every product has an associated size grid within the set.

The main relationships involved in this system are:-
      a cloth has many colours
      a product has an one size grid
      a product has many cloth/colour combinations (usually only one cloth)
      a product/colour combination has many movements

any other relationships visble in the database can be disregarded at this time.

Hope this helps a bit.
      Please ask for more info if required as clothing stock control systems tend to be unusual and difficult to follow (and explain !).

Comment

Peter,

Am I correct in saying that you want the grid to display the relevant data depending upon the Product_ID selected and the Color_ID selected ? If so then in your field rules for ST_movement you have not set the grid to be filled depending on your selection.

You have a field in ST_movement called size_grid_id which has a lookup that is not being displayed nor can I find this field on your Stock Movement Admin form, should this be there as a selection?

Will continue to investigate, but I am sure Tom will get you your answere much faster.

Alan

Comment

Alan,
          Just the product_id is needed - st_movement-"size_grid_id needs to come from st_product-"size_grid_id.
          However the lookup for st_movement-"product_id should only show product/colour combinations which exist in st_stock_qty.

Comment

Peter,

Your form is set based. Fields from the child table are at top, grandchild fields displayed in grid like form at bottom.

The link field in your set (child to grandchild) is Size_Grid_Id in the St_products table. Until this field is filled in Alpha can't link to a grandchild table record. I don't see any field on your form that collects this link field value for the new ST_products record you have started.

Am I missing something? Where's Size_Grid_Id for the products table record you have started when this form opens.

-- t

Comment

Tom
              I have just carried out the following on the Stock Movement Admin form:-
              changed the size_grid_id field to be st_movement-"size_grid_id;
              added a new action in the ON CHANGE event of the product_id to set the field st_movement-"size_grid_id = st_product-"size_grid_id.

The st_movement-"size_grid_id now shows the correct info however the grid ( grandchild ) is still not populated.

Comment

Peter, I'm sorry if I've got this wrong but it seems as though you're mixing apples and oranges here.

In this set to enter a new St_movement record, a new St_product record, and a new St_sizegrid record you will need:

Link fields in parent and child
                Link fields in child and grandchild

I don't see all 4 on the form?

It might help if you did this one table at a time, instead of on this set based form.

-- tom

Comment

Are you trying to enter a new grandchild record?

Display (but not edit) an existing grandchild record?

display & edit an existing grandchild record?

In any or all of the above cases you will need to create and save a new child table record. This record must contain the necessary field value (Size_grid_id) to permit Alpha to link it to the grandchild. The grandchild table is NOT linked to the parent table with this field. the set spec links it to the child table... and in your form the child table record is incomplete & not saved.

-- t

Comment

Tom
                    All I want to do is enter a new record into st_movement but display a grandchild record ( st_sizegrid ) that is linked to the child record ( st_product ) which is referenced by the parent.
                    Does this make sense ?

Comment

Tom
                      I am right in thinking to change the value of a field, that exists in any of the tables in a set, the field has to be present on the screen form ?

Comment

I think the fields from your child and grandchild tables do not display because the parent record is not saved to disk. You could check this by using the same form to view records without forcing a new record to begin when the form gets focus.

A better course in the end might be to use a form based only on the parent table. then add form level calc fields to display the field values you lookup from the St_product and St_SizeGrid tables. Hard to say, since I don't understand what you're trying to do. Or the purpose for your form.

If this is your first application you might benefit from working with simpler sets initially. they can be very difficult to control if used to support data entry forms.

-- t

Comment

Peter,

Been out for the day and returned to see that Tom has got his teeth into this one.

I went into the default browse for set_stock.set and found quantities had been filled in in the grid.

I then went into the default browse for _set_stock_move.set and entered a new record, when I came to the size_grid_id field there was no lookup to select from. I went into field rules and created the lookup. Returned to the default browse and in field size_grid_id the lookup displayed TRS,selected this but the grid did not fill.

This confirms one of Toms points in that you have to create a link to fill the grid in _set_stock_move.set.

Alan

Comment

Thank you Tom and Alan for all your assistance.
                            I've spoken to Keith Hubert today and come up with a number of different things to try. Thanks Keith.

Comment

Working...
                            X