Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SmartHeap Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: SmartHeap Error

For what it's worth I installed the newest runtime and full version patches to my desktop at work and saw no problems. We are running Win XP Pro SP2.

Comment

I also had the same problem, all I did was keep on trying to start the program, eventually it brought up a screen windows professional 2000 updating!!! after that no problems anymore.

Comment

Since the error has been reported to be connected to Microsoft Office, the version of Office installed may also be important. I have Office 97 on two computers with WinXP and the current update works fine on both. I took Office 2000 off as it had too many crashes and conflicts with other programs.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

I am not seeing this error on my XP Pro (SP2) system.
          I'm running A5V6 Build 1544 / 2028.
          I do not have any version of MS Office installed.

-- tom

Comment

I have Office 2000 Platinum Developers Edition installed and DO NOT have crashes or problems in any other way related to it that I am aware of.

Regards,
            Keith
            Keith Weatherhead
            Discus Data, Ltd
            [email protected]

Comment

I am running XP Pro (no service packs) with Office 2003 and I get the error on startup.

If I click OK, A5 continues to load and seems to work OK.

Pat
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Started getting this message after updating today 23rd Nov. The only trouble is it crashes everything. Currently running Win 2000 with service pack 4.

Also running Office 2000 if this makes a difference.

Comment

My desktop at work has Office XP SP2. The laptop is Office 2000 with the latest updates.

Comment

Just installed patch - Build 2028... getting same Smart Heap error. I've followed this entire thread, and what I am sensing is that there is no solution for this...? I'd like to know that clicking "OK" and continuing to use V6 will be okay until this problem is corrected or someone explains a definate solution.

Anyone from Alpha on this?

Comment

Clicking OK should result in no further problems.
                      Aaron Brown
                      Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Alpha Five uses a piece of 3rd party software Smartheap made by Microquill.

Smartheap is used by a large number of software companies.

The 'MEM_BAD_POINTER' error is comming from Smartheap.

We have contacted them about this error and they have sent us a revised version of Smartheap.

Since we don't have any machines at Alpha that are exhibiting this problem, we are unable to actually verify that this new version of Smartheap addresses the problem.

If you are one of the users who ARE getting this problem, please follow these steps:

1. Download the attached .zip file.
                        2. Exit from Alpha Five V6
                        3. Go to the folder where A5V6 is installed (typically c:\program files\a5v6) and locate shw32.dll and rename it to shw32.bad
                        4. Unzip the shw32.dll in the zip file into the A5V6 program folder.
                        5. Start A5. Does the problem still occur?
                        6. If after step 5, you still get the error, then search your hard drive for other instances of shw32.dll and replace these with the new version.

Comment

I followed your instructions. Initially I replaced the older version in the A5V6 sub-directory and then started A5V6. I still got the error.

I then searched my hard drive for all instances of the file and found only one other copy in the Windows\System32 sub-directory. I replaced that file with the new one and started A5V6 once again and still get the error.

I even tried restarting the computer but still see the error each time I start A5V6.

Comment

Selwyn: Tried this procedure verbatum... Didn't work. Let us know if you figure it out. Thanks..

Comment

Here is another thread on the bad_mem_pointer issue:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=73110&thread=73110

I'm using XP Home SP2 without a problem. I have the right-to-left and East Asian boxes unchecked. I also use Version 6 on a Win 2000 machine without any problems.

Steve

Comment

I downloaded the new patch earlier this week because we got an email stating there was a patch for version 6 that will now work with Windows 98. I got the smartheap error as soon as I loaded the patch. I am running on Windows 98 2nd Edition. Everyone in this thread seems to be working with more current versions of windows, so I thought I'd let you know it's happening with older versions as well.

Can we still use version 6 without running into problems lator in the applications we are designing? What does Smartheap actually do?

Thanks, Sue

Comment

Working...
                                X