Alpha Video Training

Thread: Filtered browse on a form

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Belanger

Default Filtered browse on a form

I want to display a browse on a form and the browse be filtered by the voucher number entered on the form. I thought I could set a variable on departing the form field and define the browse so that the voucher number equals the variable result. But it tellme that function is not allowed in that context. How else do you filter a browse for records in the same table?

Bill Belanger

Real Name
    Steve Lippis

Default RE: Filtered browse on a form

Take a look at the help section "Querying and Sorting Child Tables on a Form". Worked good for me. It is not exactly the same as what you are trying to accomplish, but may be a start.

Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Belanger

Thanks for the reply Steve, I've checked out the reference, but if that's what I have to do to put a simple linked list on a form, I'm in trouble.

Bill Belanger

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

i am not sure if this is what you want, but in the attached example there is a form for the customer table which has a browse and above the browse, a combo box showing all states. by selecting a state in the combo box, the browse is filtered.

unzip the file and add the customer table to any database. open the form called 'filteredbrowse'.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Belanger

What I have is an invoice number issued against a purchase order. So I have a many to one relationship and I was trying to get by with a filtered browse in the same table to show line items. I can see by your example (even though I don't understand xbasic) that you are filtering the table. That won't work for me. It looks like I'll have to make another "sub" table to display the line items. Probably a good time to learn about sets.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill Belanger

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Belanger

Not quite ready to give up yet. (All in one table) I can make a browse, filter it on a variable, set the variable, give the browse focus, tell it to sort and it displays the correct records. (There probably is another way of making the browse refresh with the new records, but "refresh display" doesn't do it)

Now, I place that browse on a form (the form that sets the variable)and it displays all records, not only the filtered ones. I can have the browse and form open at the same time and the browse and embedded browse are displaying different records! Is the embedded browse only using the designed browse as a template and the filter doesn't matter?

Comments?
    -------
    More info...
    This is a welfare database. People come in and fill out an application. A determination is made as to how much money can be granted, that money is issued using "vouchers" to be used to pay rent, utilities, food, etc.

I have a table called vouchers. The voucher records have a field called "application number". Many vouchers can be issued with the same "application number" so I want to display all records related to that number on the voucher form during data entry so the person issuing the voucher can see how many vouchers have been issued for that "application number". I can calculate the total $amount issued with tablesum but I can't seem to get only the correct records to display on the form in a browse.

Am I going about this incorrectly?

Thank You in advance
    Bill Belanger