Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Fetching in SQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fetching in SQL

How would you contruct a statement that would fetch thru records in a SQL table much like you would for a DBF table?
    Is this possible in a script?
    Greg

RE: Fetching in SQL

You do not fetch rows (records) in SQL, you ask for a return record set. Once you get a return records set, which is now at the client workstation, you can do whatever you want.

Fetching Records is for File Servers, not client servers.

Let me know what you are looking for and I will give you the SQL statement. You can also do this in Access or Download the Personal MSSQL from MS. They both will write the SQL statement for you.

Hope this helps,
    RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

sure it is possible. there is actually a genie that can generate the stub code for you.

if you open the code editor, right click and select 'genies, ado' a genie will open up.

the genie dialog has a checkbox that says 'include sample code to loop over the recordset'.

let me know if this does what you want.

basically, if something can be done with ado in VB or VBScript for example, then it can be done in A5. So that means that you can pretty much go to any reference source on the web (and there are many) find some ado code, and then exeucte it (make slight adjustments to account for syntax differences between a5 and vb) in a5.

Comment

It also possible to purchase a Corvette and keep it in second gear while driving. I choose to use what SQL and client-server is meant for, SPEED!

Again, you do not fetch on a client-server, you asked for a return record set. After that you can do whatever you wish, there is tremendous amount of information regarding client-server / SQL operations online.

Best regards,
        RF-ARS Motorola

Comment

i don't understand what your point it.

there are plenty of reasons why you would want to create a recordset and then fetch through the data one row at a time.

for example, say you were constructing an html page from the results of a query. that code that does this is client side code. you need to loop through the result set. that's just one example. there are endless exampless.

Comment

Hello Selwyn,

It is best to reread your last statement, it's quite confusing. I agree with current statement, but, I've already made the same statement earlier.

To be claer, you first request a record set, then after that is done, you can do what ever you wish, including fetching.

In case people new to SQL /client-server programming are new to thses concept, the reason it's OK, it's because at this point, the return record set is now at the client computer and not at the server and in no way can impact server performance. In fact you can unplug your client computer at this point with no side effects to the server.

Fetching rows from any SQL / client-server system directly against the server is not recommend because of the speed governing issues. Your last statement was not to clear and implied this.

Hope this clears any misunderstandings,
            RF-ARS Motorola

Comment

Pardon me for lurking, but this sounds like

"You say 'tomato' and I say 'tomato'" to me.

The ambiguous term in this thread is "fetch" or "fetching". Sometimes each of you mean retrieving a record set from the server, other times the same term seems to be used by both of you to refer to stepping through the result set on the client side, one row at a time.

Not sure what to suggest but perhaps there's some new nomenclature we could use to distinguish these very different things.

-- t

Comment

Tom,

I say this in the most respectful way, after you get a couple of years of client-server programming, you will see why the terminology is extremely important.

In fact, try going to Microsoft or any other major event were ten of thousands of programmers converge and start using the wrong terminology, you will not even get the time of day.

I can see someone at Alpha going to one of these events and saying that they created a form that almost SDI.

Please!!!
                Sorry but, Tomato tomotto are the same things.

Fetching and return record sets are completely different.

If you plan to try to learn something new it's best to stick with the terminology that is used around the world by tens of millions of programmers that have their basis rooted in common specifications.

Respectfully.
                RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

For clarification, when you create a RecordSet using ADO, the recordset can be either on the server or on the client. ADO supports both server-side and client-side record sets. (Although not all ADO providers do - so you can create a server-side and client-side recordset with SQL server, for example, but with MySQL, you can only create a client-side recordset)

However, that's really besides the point of John Zaleski's question which was:

"How would you contruct a statement that would fetch thru records in a SQL table much like you would for a DBF table? Is this possible in a script? "

Perhaps he should have phrased his question as:

"How would you contruct a statement that would fetch thru records in a RecordSet, much like you would for a DBF table? Is this possible in a script? "

This is a perfectly reasonable question. True, your code will not operate directly against the 'table', but instead will operate against the 'RecordSet' (which is constructed from the 'table').

But even if he asked about "fetching through records in a table" instead of "fetching through records in a recorset", I think it is clear what he WANTS to do, and the answer is still -- "Yes, it is possible -- the ADO genie will create the necessary sample code for you".

Comment

I'm in total agreement with you, but would like to add some clarification on cursor types (since you bring this up) with different ADO sources for people following this thread.

For future clarification.

The most common way to interact with any SQL / client-server system is having client cursor types, NOT the server cursor type. Unless this is made clear up front, a SQL programmer will assume that you are refering to client cursors. (Since this is the most likely scenario used today).

In a nutshell this means you ask the server for specific records, the server then sends these records to the client and then disconnects. This is also referred to as a disconnected record sets. The world's largest soure of Information (the Internet) works on this same principle.

And just like you say, not every ADO source has the ability to have server cursors and if they do, then you have to worry about directional and unidirectional cursors movements.

I get very picky when it when it comes to the terminology used. I know from my own personal experience than moving from a file server system to a client-server system, a programmer needs to leave alot of the old way of doing things behind.

Sincerely,
                    RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Ray thank you for your responses. I have a MSSQL database that has over 1,000,000 rows. To create a record set and bring all that back to the client is a lot to ask the client machine to do. If I want to step through each row and determine if a field needs to be changed how would the client work with a record set of over 1,000,000 rows?
                      Would cursurs help in with this?
                      Greg

Comment

Hi Gregory,

I always recommend a client cursor, BUT YOU CAN DO THE UPDATE AT THE SERVER, regardless of the cursor type.

What is the criteria that you're looking for in that particular field to see if it's need to be updated or not?

The wonderful thing about SQL is leaving the old behind and not reinventing the wheel. The commands in SQL are make for speed, where executing a "file server" command like "fetch" will start to move all those records to the client for processing, when there's no need to.

Even more dangerous, as so many people here can relate to is trying to do a fetch command (with a server side cursor) which means there is a permanent link to the server while this is executing, anything happens to the client and you indices are out of sync. One of the reasons why client side cursors are a great advantage is that you avoid data corruption.

I also highly recommended that you download the FREE MS Personal SQL Server (only 5 users) and start to play with the SQL Manager, open the SQL table in Query mode and start to play with the interface. Extremely powerful and once you're familiar with it extremely easy to use and writes all the SQL code for you. ANY SQL CODE THAT NEED CAN BE CREATED BY THIS MANAGER.

Sincerely,
                        RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Ray thanks for the response again. I think the key to the update of certain records would be the proper design of the SQL statement for the UPDATE and proper use of the WHERE statements.
                          Thanks
                          Greg

Comment

No Problem,

Here it is.

UPDATE "ENTER TABLE NAME HERE"
                            SET "ENTER FIELD TO UPDATE HERE" = "ENTER SOME VALUE HERE"
                            WHERE "ENTER YOUR FILTER HERE";

EX:
                            UPDATE Customers
                            SET cust_billing_state = 'FL'
                            WHERE cust_billing_city = 'Miami';

Does this help you?
                            RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Working...
                            X