Alpha Video Training

Thread: Can AlphaFive do this?

Michael Gauthier

Default Can AlphaFive do this?

Hi - I am new to AlphaFive and have just downloaded the demo. Everything I've read and seen so far looks very good. Before I go too far, though, I have one question about capabilities - can I build a workgoup application for laptop users who will be disconnected most of the time? They need access to their own data, and need to be able to send and receive both data and database structural changes when they connect to the server. I've reviewed "shadow" databases and e-mail sending of changes, but neither seems appropriate for 60-80 users with large amounts of data being moved around. Am I asking too much?
    Thanks for any input.
    Mike G

Volunteer Moderator Steve Workings's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steve Workings

Default RE: Can AlphaFive do this?

In general, you can do the stuff you ask about re: data. The devil is always in the details, but overall, "sure."

On another point, though, I see all sorts of red flags when you talk about uploading structural changes. Users should not generally be allowed to make structural changes to tables once a database is in place. Please be sure you understand this before you proceed. And this goes for any database application, not just A5.

Welcome, I hope, to the Alpha community. Jump right on here and (search first then) ask all you need.

- Steve

Michael Gauthier

Thanks for your comments Steve. Of course, users should not be allowed to make table changes. But as a developer, there needs to be an easy way to get changes and enhancementws out to users. I understand your use of the term "sure", but can you provide any of the details of how it would work?
    Thanks
    Mike G

Jeannette Cook

Can AlphaFive do this? Most certainly.

The reason for the "sure", in Mr. Working's answer lies in your ability, and not that of the software, to meet the application requirements of the users' needs. Our software can definitely do what you require. The foreseen "wildcard" of your success will be the layout of your table (data) relationships and the creation of operations that meet your end users' needs.

For your application needs you will require a license to create the application, and a runtime program (we will need to custom quote you for the qty of users you have specified) to distribute to your workforce. The runtime will permit you to create a distributed executable that may be installed multiple networks (here, the each network is each individual laptop.)

The ABOVE combination of software will work if your end users can directly dial into your network for connection to the data for "data updates." If you cannot permit this, then you may need to consider our Web Application Server, which would permit them to access the application for updates through a URL you will provide (and the WebApp Lic would replace your need for the Runtime program.)

In reference to how the end users will receive updates in the application, you will need to customize an application, or process that would verify the "version" or "release" number of the application previously released, and replace/update if a newer one exists. Our software will permit the creation of an unlimited number applications -you can custom create an application/database for each remote user, or subset of users, should you choose.

-Jeannette
    Alpha Software Customer Service

Michael Gauthier

Thanks Jeannette for your reply. Obviously there will be numerous development challenges, but that is not really an issue as long as the product is capable of doing what I want. I will proceed with the demo and see if I can get a simple prototype working.

Thanks again
    Mike G

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Michael,

""I've reviewed "shadow" databases and e-mail sending of changes, but neither seems appropriate for 60-80 users with large amounts of data being moved around. Am I asking too much? ""

Not at all, but as Steve said 'the devil is in the details'. What you want to do can certainly be done with Alpha Five. Simply put, I probably start by creating some type of 'trigger' at the server level. This 'trigger' could be some type of file, either dbf or text, that contained the fact that a structural change had taken place, and what the change/s were. When the disconnected users connected to the server, the trigger would be 'found' and an update routine would then be run on the laptop at an appropriate time. Not to mention the synchronization of data, you'd need a method to ensure that all updates were applied to each user in a sequential manner, ie: user 1 logs in and updates to version 1.01, user 1 logs in and updates to version 1.02. User two logs in later, you'd want to make sure that this user had both updates applied in the correct sequence. You'd also need make sure that any updates didn't 'violate' the structure of the current tables, wiping out data that didn't match the new data type, etc.

I did a short article not too long ago about a couple of remote update approaches that may speak to what you are wanting to do. You can find the article in the back issues of the Alpha Newsletter. The current issue is at:
    www.imakenews.com/alphasoftware
    The back issues can be accessed from the current issue.

Good luck,
    Jim

Michael Gauthier

Thanks Jim - appreciate the input. I will certainly review your articles.

Mike G