Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help for newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for newbie

Hello,

First off, I am definately a newbie to Alpha. I'm trying to build a database for our resort to track cabin reservations. I have built tables for the cabin owners and for reservations. I have a table/set with cabin owner as parent and reservations as child (as I was instructed to do by Jerry on this board). I have built forms for both cabin owners and reservations. What I need for this to do is as follows: When the date fields (arrival date and departure date) on the reservation form are filled in I need for the application to look at the cabin owner database to see all of the cabin numbers in the CABIN NUMBER field (only the cabin numbers that have a YES in the RENTAL POOL field), then look at the reservation database to see which (if any) of these cabin numbers are already rented during the arrival date and departure date and display a list of some sort (cascading?) in the CABIN NUMBER field on the reservation form of the cabins that are available that the reservations clerk can choose from.

I have looked at the AlphaSports for hours on end and read the help files but for some reason have not been able to grasp what I need to do. Yes I'm admitting I'm a whimp when it comes to this programming and I hate having to ask for help as I usually have been able to figure things out for myself in the past but I'm now at my wits end...

If someone would be gracious enough to help out and give me fairly explicit instructions on how to accomplish my task I would be forever in their debt!!

Thanks...........
    Mike

RE: Help for newbie

A small comment. Before you go too far, replace the space characters in your field names with underscores "_".

Comment

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. In the database itself there is an underscore in the field names. I just didn't put them in the text describing my problem.

Comment

On another note, I see that you are an employee of Alpha or at least according to your email address and not that I think you are by any means required to do so but I was curious as to why your only comment was about the underscore and not any type of instruction on how to do what I need to do. I've seen many requests on these boards of people wanting to know how to do something with answers galore and please don't take this as an attack of some sort as I am grateful for any help.... just frustrated at the moment as time is of the essence.

Thank you again for your input!

Comment

Mike

What you are requesting is relatively complex. Since you are starting out, you may want to tackle a more simple problem first.

An alternative is to look through the list of consultants and find some help there.

You may also want to look at the books that are available at the Alpha store - Alpha Press to help you get started.

Paste this in your browser to get to it.

(removed broken link)
          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 03:21 PM. Reason: removed broken link
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thank you very much for your input. I will check that out.

Comment

Thanks again Al for your suggestions and I just ordered two of the books. I'm still open for suggestions or instructions from anyone who would be willing to help as I'm sure with the vast knowledge out there, someone can instruct me as to what to do.

Thanks again!

Mike

Comment

You can probably do this yourself. If you haven't done so already, download the User's Guide from the Alpha Software website.

You will probably want to know about field rules, how to define look ups, and how to write a filter expression. You may also want to know how to define and use variables and how to create simple scripts with Action Scripting.

This is not insurmountable, but it will take some study and some trial and error.

Best regards,
                Jeff Pearson

Comment

Jeff,

Thanks for your input. I've already downloaded the guide and I've also ordered 2 of the books Alpha has. Just waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks again!

Mike

Comment

Hello Mike,

As Al said, this is not necessarily simple, but it should not be a show stopper :-). There are several ways to do this, but I would suggest you try the following:

I�ll call the starting date of the new reservation, NewStartDate.
                    I�ll call the ending date of the new reservation, NewEndDate.

I�ll call the currently reserved starting date: CurrentReservationStartDate.
                    And the currently reserved ending date: CurrentResEndDate.

Basically you need a query off a set. I am assuming that you have a table with cabin info, that contains a field declaring whether the cabin can be rented, I�ll call it CanRent, a locical field. You probably also have a table for the existing reservations of these cabins. You will need to query on both of these tables, as you need to know if a given cabin can be rented, and if so, is it available on the dates desired.

To do this, I would create a one-to-one set with the Reservation table as the parent, and the Cabin table as the one-to-one child. Now you need a query that in pseudo code would look like:

Is Cabin.CanRent = true

And

(.not.
                    (Is NewStartDate "=CurrentReservationStartDate .and. is NewStartDate "= CurrentReservationEndDate))

and

(.not.
                    (is NewEndDate "=CurrentReservationStartDate .and. is NewEndDate "=CurrentReservationEndDate))

Hope this helps.
                    Good luck,
                    Jim

Comment

Jim,

Thank you also for your input. This is actually the first response that I have had with a possible viable solution to my project and I greatly appreciate it.

You assume correct that I have a table built with the cabin info which is called Cabin Owners and there is a field in this table labeled Rental Pool which is a yes or no field. One thing I did not do is configure this field to a logical field. I think now it is a character field. I also have a table for the reservations called Cabin Reservations. In the reservation table the date fields are labeled Arrival Date and Departure Date.
                      I have a set but I have the Cabin Owner as the parent and the reservations as the child so I need to reverse this.
                      Where you have lost me is in creating fields you call the currently reserved starting date and the currently reserved ending date as to how that figures into the equation as fields. As stated earlier I only have two date fields and they again are Arrival Date and Departure Date and in your suggestion you appear to have 4 date fields.

If you can elaborate somewhat on that I'd appreciate it!
                      One other thing.... I also have the forms created for both the Cabin Owners and the Cabin Reservations. Do I need to configure the field rules in the set containing the two tables or in the tables themselves? A lot of questions I know but I appreciate your help !!

Thanks again,
                      Mike

Comment

Hello Mike,

""As stated earlier I only have two date fields and they again are Arrival Date and Departure Date and in your suggestion you appear to have 4 date fields. ""

The 'other two' are the dates for the new prospective renter. They may be (or may not be) in the same fields in the rental table, but you will have to compare them against the existing dates. Also look at the the Between() function. It may simplify the expression for you.

""Do I need to configure the field rules in the set containing the two tables or in the tables themselves?""

In Alpha Five, field rules are always at the table level. In Alpha Four you could have seperate field rules at the table and set level, but not in Alpha Five.

Good luck,
                        Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim......I'll work with this and see what I can come up with. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks again.
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X