Alpha Video Training

Thread: Mileage chart

Al Lenkner

Default Mileage chart

My son gave me a project but I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I've searched but haven't found anything close to what I envision. He wants some way to record mileage from point A to point B, point C to point G, etc. I was thinking of a multi-state button with originations in text on the left side and destinations on the top of the button, just like you'd find in any distance table, i.e. Pittsburgh " Philadelphia, Philadelphia " New York, Philadelphia " Boston. Clicking on the intersecting button would be tied to a table giving the distance in miles.

Anyone have something more imaginative?

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default RE: Mileage chart

I have a add-in package that's almost done that does exactly what you want (and orders of magnitude faster than the typical code).

It contains a bunch of highly refined, easy to use, extremely fast functions that provide mileage and related functions between points on the earth. One of it's function takes sequential pairs of latitude/longitudes or zipcodes and computes the total distance.

If you have an extremely pressing need, contact me directly.

Another way is to code it yourself, or use some examples here in this forum, but it's a little harder than it 1st appears.

Regards,

Ira

Al Lenkner

Ira,

"xtremely fast functions that provide mileage and related functions between points on the earth"? I'm trying to find a way to pick the distance from a dozen points origination to the same dozen destination. If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds like overkill. And what are the related function, if I may ask?

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

I'm sure it's overkill for your application, but then again, I've found that with the speed of the query, you can do things that previously made no sense at all. It can perform these queries almost as fast as you can cursor up and down in a browse, and that's fast.

What kind of things? All kinds of things, but primarily really fast finding of records (queries) that are within a particular bearing and distance range (say finding 10 closest stores northeast of you). There are a ton of options that make this a whole lot more than appears on the surface. Of course

This operates 200 times faster than any equivalent fast code that could be written using conventional techniques. E.g. find all zipcodes with 50 miles of you. This normally takes about 30 seconds on a typically fast machine, but my code can do it in 0.15 seconds. Telemarketers can get sales offices for people without delaying even 1 word in their talking.

Writing this as a simple function took me 5 minutes to do. Writing a bug free one with all of the bells and whistles that is easy to use (e.g. it's almost self-configuring in everything - Just call the function with 1 or 2 arguments, and it can often figure out every thing else.) and yet is faster than anything I've ever come across, took months of development. Much of this simplicity and speed will be going into other functions add-ins that I have in the wings.

Regards,

Ira

Al Lenkner

Ira,

It definitely sounds more than I need or want. I was asking more for ideas than code. I can think of two approaches but I'm new to Alpha. An experienced user may have a different approach to the problem.

While searching for an earlier app that may fit, I did come across a downloadable Alpha program but some doctor. I think that his name was Peter Warren. IIRC, he uses Zip Codes or polar coordinates with over the earth arc to computer distance. It's free but it sounds like yours might be a commercial program.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Al,

That's Peter Wayne, who is also quite versed in Alpha 5 (In fact he has written several books on it). The program you cite you can download from his web site, and it works for what it does. Don't be surprised if, on rare occasions, it crashes or errors out. These are odd boundrary value conditions that cause some calculations to fail, but is the basic methodolgy to use.

Regards,

Ira